Show synopsis on hover on movies

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

This is a simple request to state. But it might be harder to implement.

I would like to have a synopsis popup when you hover over a movie's poster.

That would reduce the need to click on a movie just to find what it is about and then having to hit back to go to another movie.

I would also like this implemented in some way on all clients. It just would make browsing for and finding a movie to watch easier.

There is another request for a popup that plays a trailer or animates a movie preview but I would not want that. Most trailers give a very distorted view of the movie and little real info on what the movie is actually about. I want information not fluff.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Deathsquirrel

I would absolutely hate this.  It sounds less awful than netflix's auto previews, but it still sounds like a freaking annoying way to slow down scrolling.

Gilgamesh_48

I would absolutely hate this.  It sounds less awful than netflix's auto previews, but it still sounds like a freaking annoying way to slow down scrolling.

This, like anything else that impacts browsing, should be optional. The other post I mentioned was to play a trailer (or something like that) in a small window on hover over a movie. That would be MUCH worse but some people might like it. I really see little reason not to allow things like this as long as those that do not want it can turn it off.

BTW: All things like this that impact browsing potentially adversely should default to off.

Several sites I use do this and I do not find it gets in the way at all as the box goes away as soon as the cursor moves away from the movie. That is you are not forced to wait for loading before you can move on.

• 1 year later...
GrimReaper

I actually fancy the idea for Web App (while at the same time completely detest it in any TV UI, with things popping-up unless requested by keypress), condensed Overview on hover. I reckon anyone sitting in front of a PC is well accustomed to popups whenever mouse cursor is held long enough on certain spots, it could surely be applied here as well, without negatively impacting usability, quite the contrary. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1

visproduction

Maybe everyone could be happy with a delay mouseover.   Each member would have the array of options.

1. Hover over a corner, an animated icon appears and if you stay there the summary pops up after, say, 3 seconds. 
  2. Closing is when either click top-right X close, or mouse away and click outside the pop-up or hover over another card.  Logic is only one pop-up can appear at any time.
  3. Clicking in the pop-up goes to the full media page for that content.
  4. Maybe two advanced dashboard field entries in seconds for: A. pop-up open delay and B. Close automatically or not after X number of seconds.  I would maybe set that at 2.  
  5. Finally an on / off switch.

98% would just use the default settings and they would not need to read any instructions. That's user friendly.  But a few people would adjust, as the like.  Does anyone here not be able to find a setting they like with these options?

Edited by visproduction