Post Processing Script for QNAP NAS

shdwkeeper

shdwkeeper

Ok, after going through hundreds of posts, most are years old.  Does anyone have a step by step with screenshots etc... On what script to use, how to set it up in Emby and on Qnap to remove commercials, and reduce the file size in a .mkv container, and get rid of the old .ts file?  I think this would help out a lot of NAS and Linux users.  Most folks are running MCEbuddy and I don't want to run windows in a VM to even do this.  I think this would be very popular given a lot of folks own a NAS.

PenkethBoy

I do a similar thing under windows - but not on a NAS as generally they are under powered and comskip and ffmpeg required to do the processing require a lot of cpu resources - that would make the NAS slow or unresponsive

It could definitely be done - just not sure a NAS is the correct machine to do it on

shdwkeeper

Channels DVR and Plex run fine on my NAS, why wouldn't this work on it. The NAS machines these days are getting more and more powerful, it would be nice to have some sort of a road map to go by.

I think running a windows VM on a NAS to run MCEbuddy would take even more resources, than just comskip and ffmpeg alone.

Edited by shdwkeeper

maegibbons

What is the spec of the NAS and does it have a GPU?

KRS

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

shdwkeeper

What is the spec of the NAS and does it have a GPU?

KRS

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

TVS-672N i3-8100T CPU with 32GB Ram

• 2 weeks later...
justp02

I do a similar thing under windows - but not on a NAS as generally they are under powered and comskip and ffmpeg required to do the processing require a lot of cpu resources - that would make the NAS slow or unresponsive

It could definitely be done - just not sure a NAS is the correct machine to do it on

My NAS is more powerful than most peoples Desktop PC's.  I'm running a QNAP TVS-882BRT3-ODD-i7-32G, advertised at being able to transcode 2 streams of 4k video simultaneously.  Is there anything I can do to help or test scripts on a QNAP machine?

TVS-882BRT3-ODD-i7-32G

CPU:                           Intel Core i7-7700 quad core 3.6 GHz processor, Max turbo up to 4.2 GHz

CPU Architecture:       64-Bit x86

Graphics Processors: 9th-generation Intel HD Graphics

Memory:                      64GB UDIMM DDR4 (upgraded from the original 32 GB)

Edited by justp02

shdwkeeper

My NAS is more powerful than most peoples Desktop PC's. I'm running a QNAP TVS-882BRT3-ODD-i7-32G advertised at being able to transcode 2 streams of 4k video simultaneously. Is there anything I can do to help or test on a QNAP machine?

TVS-882BRT3-ODD-i7-32G

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 quad core 3.6 GHz processor, Max turbo up to 4.2 GHz

CPU Architecture: 64-Bit x86

Graphics Processors: 9th-generation Intel HD Graphics

Memory: 64GB UDIMM DDR4 (upgraded from the original 32 GB)

Exactly, not sure why there isn't anything out there for post processing on a NAS. This box should be fine to run comskip and transcode as well. If Channels DVR can run on my NAS with comskip, why can't this be done with Emby? Edited by shdwkeeper

PenkethBoy

It can be done on a QNAP or other NAS types - this has very little to do with Emby

but its a lot more complicated to do than you may appreciate

a couple of things you would need before starting

1 comskip compiled for qnap - you will probably have to do the compile yourself

2. an up to date version of ffmpeg and ffprobe - again QNAp friendly versions

3. then figure out how you want comskip to run and with what parameters

4. same for ffmpeg

5. decide what programing language you are going to use to do the above 3 and 4

6. write your script and test and test and test

Reasons why i might have not been done for qnap - could be many but likely due to 1 above and/or - not enough interest 

shdwkeeper

It can be done on a QNAP or other NAS types - this has very little to do with Emby

but its a lot more complicated to do than you may appreciate

a couple of things you would need before starting

1 comskip compiled for qnap - you will probably have to do the compile yourself

2. an up to date version of ffmpeg and ffprobe - again QNAp friendly versions

3. then figure out how you want comskip to run and with what parameters

4. same for ffmpeg

5. decide what programing language you are going to use to do the above 3 and 4

6. write your script and test and test and test

Reasons why i might have not been done for qnap - could be many but likely due to 1 above and/or - not enough interest

Maybe the difference is Channels and Plex have this built into their systems where Emby has this as an external script process?

PenkethBoy

the external script process is entirely in your control does not have to be a comskip process - could be anything you want to do with a recording

Currently emby does not support edl files - so another thing you need to factor in if you go this route

shdwkeeper

the external script process is entirely in your control does not have to be a comskip process - could be anything you want to do with a recording

Currently emby does not support edl files - so another thing you need to factor in if you go this route

I keep seeing in the past (3-4yrs ago) that this (commercial processiong and edl support) is on the road map for Emby, and has been for years. At this rate I don't think it will ever happen, and that's too bad. Not sure what the road block is on this. Edited by shdwkeeper