FR: Popcorn Time channel

wallaceff

Beardyname

No

-1 From me, this service is not even close to legal so Mediabrowser should not get their hands dirty.

snazy2000

Its technically not "ilegal" they made a point of it not be ilegal but its still something that MediaBrowser wont want to get involved in and in any case it wouldn't be possible to do with MediaBrowser anyway

Beardyname

Its technically not "ilegal" they made a point of it not be ilegal but its still something that MediaBrowser wont want to get involved in and in any case it wouldn't be possible to do with MediaBrowser anyway

Sure the technology in itself is not illegal, but what most people are watching with it ;) That is another matter.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Sure the technology in itself is not illegal, but what most people are watching with it ;) That is another matter.

Could you not make the same argument for YouTube?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you not make the same argument for YouTube?

Yep (actually, not exactly the same argument but similar), which is why we don't have a YouTube channel.

snazy2000

5. General restrictions on use

5.1 YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service, subject to the following express conditions, and you agree that your failure to adhere to any of these conditions shall constitute a breach of these Terms on your part:

1. you agree not to distribute any part of or parts of the Website or the Service, including but not limited to any Content, in any medium without YouTube's prior written authorisation, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the YouTube Player);
  • Like 1

Beardyname

I am still curious on how the xbmc youtube plugin developers get away with this ^^

Edited by Beardyname

I am still curious on how the xbmc youtube plugin developers get away with this ^^

They haven't been stopped yet.

There is a lot of piracy on the Internet.  The basic culture of the internet is that everything is "free".  Actually, no, the culture is that everything should be free.  Of course that isn't and never will be the case.  Millions of people go to work every day to design, build maintain and support everything that is the internet and each and every one of them - just like you - expects a paycheck for that days work.

Someone, somewhere, is writing that check and, ultimately, the consumer is the one paying.  The way a lot of these operations like YouTube get paid (so they can pay their workers) is through the new paradigm of advertising which is based on traffic going through their services.

So, if you use technology to bypass their service in order to get to the content, then you rob them of the ability to get paid, which then keeps them from being able to pay their people which, if everyone did it, eventually means they go out of business and you don't get that "free" stuff you thought you were entitled to :).

Beardyname

They haven't been stopped yet.

That figures it out :)

Rest of what you wrote, I encourage the people asking for this plugin to read.