[BUG] Scanner is not using music tag "Album" correctly

xyzzyx

xyzzyx

Hi,

Even I mentionned the issue in an another topic, I decided to open a separate topic as this issue is becoming more annoying to me. With Plex the same library, same albums are recognizing OK as it should.

I am running the server on Debian, latest stable version 4.4.2.0. 

All id3 tags are OK, "album" id3 tag is correctly assigned per CD or per multi CDs. If many CDs in an album, each disk is numbered as 1/3, 2/3, etc...

Something is not working right with emby scanning, so decided to ask for help and report this issue as possible bug. 

File structure (in some cases) is as following:

artist/

album1/

track_1

track_2

track_n

album2/

CD1/

track_1      

track_2      

track_z

CD2/

track_1      

track_2      

track_x

CD3/

track_1

track_2

track_w

CD100/

track_1      

track_2      

track_y

For artists with such file structure, only album 1 is correctly recognized. In case of album 2, there are non-sense results, different results with no logical for me behind. For ex the name of album 2 is randomly assigned as the name as CD4 (or name other number) and all tracks inside, after first scan have several track1, several track2, etc. 

What is annoying, after several scans I see the results are "improved" - and this happened at least in one case: all tracks inside that crazy named album, are renumbered from 1 to what ever is the last number, keeping of course the initial, ridiculous order of 1,1,1, - 2,2,2, etc... I see this in case of Bach 171 CD complete works.

I give here a very simple example, to understand better the issue.

Artist: ABBA

Album: \ABBA\The Albums [2008] (9 discs!)

Please see bellow the name of the album emby "think" it is about and how all tracks, saved in their respective folders are all put together under this wrong album name - "The Album (2006, CD 5 of 9)".

5ebd963d2a631_ABBA1.png

Please find check bellow the album name for two of "track1":

5ebd9a6c713eb_ABBA2.png

And I have many other similar examples. 5ebd9addd54f9_ABBA3.png

What is even more annoying (as this is an exception), if there is only one and only one subdirector (as album box set name for ex) with several subdirectors (albums) emby get them right. BUT, if there are many subdirectories under an artist, and if an album have more CDs, the scan is going totally wrong...

If this is not a bug, please advise if there is a faulty setting, i.e my fault, and how to fix it? 

Thanks

Edited by xyzzyx

Hi, albums are currently based on the folder organization and naming of the album folder. It is not fully tag driven yet, although we will get there.

xyzzyx

Right. I see that "album" tag in conjunction with "discnumber" tag are not read or used correctly. This explains also the faulty Folder view in music library type at least where child directories are not displayed at all.

Of course, there might be an workaround, to move all albums at the same level and to try to avoid multi CDs albums. Easy to say and perhaps to do, but totally unaesthetically if there are lots of albums which we may want to group somehow (studio albums, compilations, live albums, eventually to group under a common folder many album versions, etc).

IMO, this should be solved with priority as is a basic function to have a proper scam. Why to let app trying to guess the album structure, consuming time and resources when all the needed tags are there in order have things properly done? 

If there is a beta that address this issue, please let me know.