Gapless playback not working

train_wreck

vdatanet
1 minute ago, Maisy said:

I just tested it on my phone, with the Emby android app, using my 5g signal ... Styx, Paradise Theatre, A.D. 1928 1:07 smoothly into Rockin' the Paradise.

Unfortunately I usually use Emby Theatre on my computer (where Emby and all the media is installed locally) when listening to music. A micro-gap blip between those two songs.

Chrome browser Emby does the same exact thing a micro-gap blip.

Yes, gapless playback only works on Android.

Oh, strange that it is not working on iPhone, I tested on my three apple devices : iPhone 13/iOS 15.6 and iPhone XR/iOS 15.6 and iPad Pro/iOS15.6 , with the latest version of emby and it plays gapless perfectly, see/hear from here. The emby server version 4.6.7.0... I hope this could help. Oh and the file type I am using are all ALAC. 

Edited by Manes
  • Like 1

vdatanet
30 minutes ago, Manes said:

I am using are all ALAC.

Yes, it's working with ALAC files! I have re-ripped Eye in the Sky in ALAC format and yes, playback is gapless.

I hadn't realized because most of my files are flacs.

The same applies to tvOS.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, Manes said:

Luke, I guess Apple make some kind of favouritism with their own file types... 

In this case that's not it because we're not using the apple player for music playback.

• 1 month later...
vdatanet
On 8/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, vdatanet said:

Yes, it's working with ALAC files! I have re-ripped Eye in the Sky in ALAC format and yes, playback is gapless.

I hadn't realized because most of my files are flacs.

The same applies to tvOS.

Has anything changed in Emby for tvOS 1.6.5? Initially gapless audio playback was working on ALAC files, but now it even works with FLAC and DSD files. 

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Has anything changed in Emby for tvOS 1.6.5? Initially gapless audio playback was working on ALAC files, but now it even works with FLAC and DSD files. 

Nothing specifically, but all of playback has received updates from the iOS app, which generally was a little further ahead until now.

• 2 months later...
weenjoyyourself
On 12/21/2021 at 3:59 PM, weenjoyyourself said:

Well, it's nearly 2022 and still no gapless playback with Emby.  Is there any hope?  Will we ever have gapless?

Luke, any word?

Well, it's nearly 2023 now, and still no gapless playback.  Years go by and no change.  Time to give up.  Emby is just unsuitable for music.

I have found that installing navidrome and playback with play:sub on ios and similar programs on other platforms just works flawlessly.  If you're still struggling with Emby, I recommend it.  Easy and just works.  (Plexamp is incapable of connecting to a server on a VPN, so it's out for me, but I know other people like it.)

It's really hard to understand this.  Other platforms have no problem with this.  So much so that it seems to be a solved problem.  Yet it is apparently impossible for Emby.  Is it some strange thing about the design?  Why no glory after years and years?

I'm happy to keep Emby for movies, and I'll keep paying the $5/month just to support a worthy cause.  Good luck, folks!

11 hours ago, weenjoyyourself said:

Well, it's nearly 2023 now, and still no gapless playback.  Years go by and no change.  Time to give up.  Emby is just unsuitable for music.

I have found that installing navidrome and playback with play:sub on ios and similar programs on other platforms just works flawlessly.  If you're still struggling with Emby, I recommend it.  Easy and just works.  (Plexamp is incapable of connecting to a server on a VPN, so it's out for me, but I know other people like it.)

It's really hard to understand this.  Other platforms have no problem with this.  So much so that it seems to be a solved problem.  Yet it is apparently impossible for Emby.  Is it some strange thing about the design?  Why no glory after years and years?

I'm happy to keep Emby for movies, and I'll keep paying the $5/month just to support a worthy cause.  Good luck, folks!

I gave up using Emby  as I mainly use iPhone to stream, the lack of dedicated app for music is a massive drawback for me… Plex seems to have addressed several annoying problems related to music management and Plexamp is unbeatable in terms of usability and features. I use Navidrome as well with play:sub, but I had some strange repeating app crash while playing local (downloaded) music on the iPhone. Son now I mainly use Plexamp… Also I now use a synology to stream and while Plex works decently with this configuration Emby was deadly slow to launch each time I wanted to use it on iPhone, Apple TV or LG TV Emby app. I just gave up… It’s quite sad as I really wanted to like Emby…