Gapless playback not working

train_wreck

train_wreck

According to this post:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-445-emby-for-ios-17-released-with-gapless-audio-playback/

Emby for iOS should have gapless playback after version 1.7? It's not working for either Apple Lossless M4A or WAV files for me. I am running the server on Windows version 4.4.2.0, app on iOS version 1.9.0.

Are these file formats not supported for gapless playback, or something? I looked all through the settings and I didn't find anything related to gapless playback, so I'm guessing this should "just work"?

• 6 months later...
vdatanet

Version 2.0.1 release notes:

Improve support for gapless audio playback

But there are gaps during playback

5 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Version 2.0.1 release notes:

But there are gaps during playback

Tracks need to be of the same format, and need to have embedded gapless metadata in order for it to work.

vdatanet
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Tracks need to be of the same format, and need to have embedded gapless metadata in order for it to work.

They are. Android Mobile plays gapless the same album, also the Apple TV but iOS app it doesn't. I'd swear playback was gapless before version 2.0.1, but I can't be sure. The gap is very short, it's not the typical gap, just milliseconds.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, vdatanet said:

They are. Android Mobile plays gapless the same album, also the Apple TV but iOS app it doesn't. I'd swear playback was gapless before version 2.0.1, but I can't be sure. The gap is very short, it's not the typical gap, just milliseconds.

The change we made was actually to configure mpv to enable it, where it wasn't actually enabled before.

• 1 month later...
sooty234
On 1/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, johnhb said:

Thanks again for the replies and hints sooty, unfortunately my tests show there's a 100 ms gap between tracks (verified with cuetools verified flac rips as well as test signals).

Also, Theater is NOT running in exclusive mode - behaviour suggests it is in shared mode despite enabling exclusive mode in the settings:
  - This is easy to see as the sample rate is not changing for different source files (with 48 kHz the output is still 44.1 - or whatever the Windows default it set to).
  - Also it's playing back through the Windows mixer because the Direct Sound APO limiter is kicking in and limiting output to -0.2 dBFS

Server says playback is direct (I guess this means no transcoding?), SPDIF output is set to allow exclusive mode.

I've tried rebooting, restarting theater, reinstalling it etc. but still the same issues. Hopefully just a bug?

15 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

The same issue is in Theater.

Theater is not deferring management of the play queue to mpv. iOS is, and we've enabled mpv's gapless support so it looks like an issue in mpv on iOS.

sooty234
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Theater is not deferring management of the play queue to mpv. iOS is, and we've enabled mpv's gapless support so it looks like an issue in mpv on iOS.

That answers an important question I had. Thank you!

• 4 months later...
Manes

Hello, I am also facing a gapless issue : all my music library is ALAC (m4a) files and it doesn't play gapless on iOS or web browser (safari). I read in this discussion that files need to have embedded gapless metadata, do you have an idea on how to check that with a Mac. I have carefully read all the metadata with iTunes but I don't see any gapless info... 

Thank you for your help :-)

Manes

Hello,

As there is no answer to my question, I made a test with the same song/file running on Plex (Plexamp) and Emby (Emby app for iOS). 

Plexamp : https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4btdu8fwi3gtgt/Plex-Gapless.MP4?dl=0

Emby for iOS : https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd7py3uh6wmzyz5/Emby-Gapless.MP4?dl=0

I am wondering if this is what I should consider as gapless for Emby ? We clearly here something jumping (micro gap) in between the two songs...

Thank fo letting me know what I should expect.

Edited by Manes
  • Like 1

vdatanet
25 minutes ago, Manes said:

I am wondering if this is what I should consider as gapless for Emby ? We clearly here something jumping (micro gap) in between the two songs...

On 1/9/2021 at 10:22 PM, vdatanet said:

Yes, there's a microgap

Yes, this is what I reported earlier.

weenjoyyourself

I can also confirm that gapless playback does not work.  There is always a gap between tracks.

Can the developers comment?  Searching this forum shows that this discussion has been going on for years :-(.

I have thousands of hours of live recordings, and this interruption every song change is intolerable.  I really like Emby over Plex, but this is becoming a deal breaker.

Running Emby for IOS - whatever version is current.  The server is running on Linux and is 4.6.0.50.  The network connection between iPhone and server is solid, about 50 Mbps.  Latency is about 22 ms.  This should not be an issue.

• Like 1

Maisy

Windows browser or Emby Theater directly streaming ... like Styx, Paradise Theater, from the first song A.D 1928 to the next song Rockin' The Paradise, any kind of blip is nauseating. Android Emby apps direct play it like a champion. UGH. I do like blasting music from my very good sony tv my pc is hooked up to. :( Frustated, but at least Android is in line when it wasn't always in the past.

Manes

Unfortunately this is really a reason why I am sticking to Plex and plexamp to listen to music. This micro gap is quite irritating... 

• Like 1

vdatanet
1 hour ago, Manes said:

This micro gap is quite irritating...

I second this.

• 6 months later...
weenjoyyourself
On 5/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, weenjoyyourself said:

I can also confirm that gapless playback does not work.  There is always a gap between tracks.

Can the developers comment?  Searching this forum shows that this discussion has been going on for years :-(.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:09 PM, Manes said:

Unfortunately this is really a reason why I am sticking to Plex and plexamp to listen to music. This micro gap is quite irritating... 

On 5/27/2021 at 2:01 PM, vdatanet said:

I second this.

Well, it's nearly 2022 and still no gapless playback with Emby.  Is there any hope?  Will we ever have gapless?

Luke, any word?

I gave up for now using Emby or even Plex to listen to music as they both have their limitations (Emby the gapless playback, Plex because it screws up some albums classification and covers with it's over "helping" fancy classification features). I switched to Navidrome : simple, no bells and whistles music only streamer, the web player unfortunately doesn't support gapless playback but using a "sonic" client  (I use play:sub on iOS devices) it works very well included the gapless playback...

Edited by Manes

• 7 months later...

I don't know when this issue has been addressed, but I tested emby for music again some days ago and it seems like the gapless playback is now working as expected. I wanted to thank you for your efforts 🙂 It's very much appreciated !

Have a nice day !

Edited by Manes

vdatanet
3 hours ago, Manes said:

I don't know when this issue has been addressed, but I tested emby for music again some days ago and it seems like the gapless playback is now working as expected. I wanted to thank you for your efforts 🙂 It's very much appreciated !

Have a nice day !

Well, it doesn't work for me, there is still a microgap ruining listening to albums by Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons...

I just tested it on my phone, with the Emby android app, using my 5g signal ... Styx, Paradise Theatre, A.D. 1928 1:07 smoothly into Rockin' the Paradise.

Unfortunately I usually use Emby Theatre on my computer (where Emby and all the media is installed locally) when listening to music. A micro-gap blip between those two songs.

Chrome browser Emby does the same exact thing a micro-gap blip.