Premiere people, have you found it worth it?

Mkilbride

Guys, I know, again it a reminder, as I see "I wish" "If possible" "can we have trial .... " etc ..

We been on all this, and we need to stop it, If the main Dev's here (Luke & Ebr) in the future will offer that, then a post will be made by them, if not, then these type of or within the post by the OP seek this, then it not allowed anymore.

The OP start fine the thread, then we go again by that road for "Trials" things.

As Deathsquirrel and others said, to try, do that monthly $5 and test the Premiere, Also, many of the Emby server is free, you can test that as you wish.

Jdiesel

Emby Premiere is positioned in a strange place. IMO the Premiere features don't jump out as added nice to have bonuses but are more basic must have functions. Unless your requirements are absolutely basic you will likely appreciate what Emby Premiere add to the experience. 

I personally hate the premium subscription model that is becoming commonplace with software but it is what it is. I think that Emby is only complete with Emby Premiere and the value of a lifetime license is well worth the price. It is a project worth supporting even if the additional features of Premiere don't seem worth it on paper.

• Like 2

I personally hate the premium subscription model that is becoming commonplace with software but it is what it is. 

As a consumer, I definitely understand that. 

The reason you are seeing it though is because it is the only way a software company can hope to survive.  Users want constant upgrades, maintenance and support so this is a continuous expense for the software provider.   So the only way to provide that is to also have a continuous revenue stream.  This isn't just about us but the industry as a whole.  In the earlier stages of software, initial purchases were much more expensive than they are now and that, coupled with the companies also selling "commercial" versions to other companies that included yearly (hefty) license fees could sustain the enterprise.  We are no longer in that world so the subscription model has been passed on to the end consumer.

Just a little insight to the business end of the whole thing :).

We strive to make Emby the best value in a personal media server solution.  Thank you all again for your support.

• Like 8

jachin99

My perspective is that I use it every day and I find it extremely useful. Because of this I want them to stay in business so I give them money so they can do that

Edited by jachin99

WilhelmStroker

My main reason to go Premiere wasn't so much the added functionality, but the support and the responsiveness of Luke and ebr. Seeing responses to pretty much every thread on the forum is great.

• Like 1

darkassassin07

I'm much with the others here, I purchased premier mainly to support the team and have hassle free access to all the apps (apposed to buying app unlocks or sticking to the web app).

TBH I don't really use the other features, but I don't have a live tv service or a need for large amounts of users transcoding content all the time. Offline sync come in handy now and again, especially if the content needs transcoding before hand, and thought free camera uploads for my personal devices is handy as my own automatic cloud storage independent of public servers. Past that I don't really need premier.

That being said, Emby is something myself and my family use every single day since it's initial introduction to my household 3 years ago, it's ran pretty close to problem free (Aside from when I decide to play with stuff :P), and when I do have issues this community and the developers themself get involved and do their best to help out.

Because of that I definitely don't regret purchasing Emby Premier, and likely will be purchasing and un-needed device limit expansion just to help support the project and its devs :)

legallink

I went with premiere a long time ago, but the main features I get out of it are the mobile apps and live tv/dvr with the epg. Makes almost all of it easy.

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

At the end of the day, it's about supporting the Developers so they can continue to support and enhance the product. 

If Emby fails commercially, there will be no more support of the proprietary code and with the constantly changing meta data dependencies (tvdb, tmdb etc) and new versions of clients out there, emby will quickly become obsolete.

The same concept is used on almost all software now - if you want to support the Dev, you buy the 'Pro' version of the app for example - it usually gives you minimal enhancements, but if it's a good app and you use it frequently, then you SHOULD purchase it or that app will simply not exist in 6 months time.  You are not buying the 'enhancements', you are contributing to the continued development of the project as a whole.

• Like 1