Premiere people, have you found it worth it?

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Kinda annoyed hw transcoding is premiere only. Feels like basic functionality for a media program.

I'm switching from Plex, because Plex has been annoying me for awhile now, and emby seems to do a lot of things better.

Especially direct playing more than Plex. Also the UI is leagues better.

I use a Nvidia Shield...and unlike Android, it costs 5$ to unlock...not sure why when its free on other platforms. So looking at premiere, besides hw transcoding, not much interests me besides the download function.

Mainly because no wifi at work, and my tablet has issues transferring files via usb. Tethering had its limits.

I'd rather wait for a sale, but just wondering if people think they get their moneys worth? I mean, I know about Jellyfin, but trying it out, its UI was so bad. Felt like some late 90s UI from a movie or something.

In the cases where emby needs to transcode, it hammers my 8700k @ 5ghz to 100%. Throttle helps, but it makes using my pc while someone watches something a little worrisome if Im gaming.

I figure my 1080 ti or igpu could easily handle anything with only a few percent usage.

I'm kind of talking myself out of it now, Haha. The goal is to not transcode, but it sadly happens sometimes.

maegibbons

Of course it is worth it.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

• Like 2

Gilgamesh_48

For me the real purpose of premier is to support Emby. I have found it well worth the money even though I use very few "features" that are unlocked by premier and I find none of them essential.

My use of Emby is enhanced by my knowing that I have contributed to the continued existence of Emby itself. If I were financially better off I would buy more premier licenses for dummy accounts just to enhance the support.

I strongly recommend that people buy premier even if they don't "need" it.

Now as far as transcoding goes the real secret is to carefully get all you media in a form that does not need transcoding and this is best done when first encoding the media. There are many guides available on this site about how to encode to limit transcoding. Also there are many more over on the Plex site and forums.

I will admit that I do not spend much time trying to avoid transcoding. The server I run can handle it very well and I never have more than two streams going at one time. I never have any buffering problems even though I usually have "Hardware transcoding" turned off. I run the beta server but I am mostly housebound and there have been a number of problems in the hardware transcoder that prevent comfortable viewing and it is one part of the beta server that I do not like to test. I test most of the other functions but it has been very hard on me to test the hardware transcoder. (I apologize to Emby for not being particularly willing to test that part of their server.)

My advice is to buy premier, to support Emby, and then decide which features you want to actually use.

• Like 4

Sammy

Not having premiere is probably why you're getting such a hit on transcoding. I have some clients on the WAN that are forced to transcode because I limit their bandwidth to save on my upload bandwidth which is only 20mbps. In the rare case several of them are watching at the same time, I limit all of them to 1.5mbps. I've never seen things over 5%, maybe 10% when Emby is feeding them content on my Ryzen 3700x with an nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb.

Without premiere you cannot use hardware transcoding and this is probably where your problem lies. Emby's throttled transcoding is brilliant BTW.. Secondly, with your 1080i, you'll need to do this hack to make it able to do more than 2 simultaneous streams.

What really gives me a hit to processing is when MCEBuddy is converting four Emby MPEG2.ts recordings to HEVC.h265 at the same time and I have processor utilization tuned to 8 of 16 threads in MCEBuddy settings. Things still hum along nicely though.

To answer your question, though, YES it is worth it for sure! You get H/W transcoding and LiveTV with it. I save a bundle on LiveTV with Emby, about $75 a month in STB and DVR fees.

Sammy

BTW, I've had Premiere since the inception of Emby and got in on the ground floor for pretty cheap and even then I subscribe for a spell every year to help fund the platform.

Sammy

Of course it is worth it.

Krs

Mark

I did!

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I bought my initial lifetime premier license for playback everywhere, and for live TV, which at the time, was far ahead of plex.

Not only was it worth it, but it was so worth it, that I followed up with an additional device limit upgrade license that I really didn't even need.

My big hangup with Plex is that all of my users had to be "Plex" users.  With Emby, I control my server and my users with no intervention from Emby.

Q-Droid

Worth it.

I cut from DirecTV to Emby as our primary source for broadcast TV. We use the premier features daily with Emby being the central whole-home media center that is functionally better that any tethered subscription service offering on the market. We don't miss most of the channels from the Sat service and save money.

My way to support Emby is the ongoing yearly Premium payment instead of a one time lifetime subscription.

BAlGaInTl

I just wish there was a trial, like a 7 day Premiere trial or something.

You can test most of the server functionality for free using a web browser.

What's your use case?

Most of the time, it's recommended that you support the project and get a 1 month subscription to try it out.  If you are serious about using it, it's well worth the cost.

• Like 2

Gilgamesh_48

Why should there be a trial period? It is only $4.99 per month so you can subscribe for a month and, if you do not like it, just cancel before the end of that month. That is cheap enough that just about anyone should afford it easily and it helps the developers keep going. You get a free trial of most of the functionality and you pay for premium. That is a pretty standard model throughout the industry for software that has multiple tiers.

• Like 3

maegibbons

Why? You have been a Member since Sep 17 so have you been freeloading since then?

Krs

Mark

• Like 2

arrbee99

I definitely think its worth it, but also reckon there should be a free trial. Its only 5 dollars but it still annoys people who pay and find it doesn't work after 10 minutes. I know you won't learn much in 10 minutes but it still leads people to think 'I paid 5 dollars for this ?'

Also I see nothing wrong with not paying. If the devs allow it, why object, especially if it helps people to (hopefully) eventually buy.

Mkilbride

Why? You have been a Member since Sep 17 so have you been freeloading since then?

Krs

Mark

Freeloading...? As Sept 17th, I have no idea about that. I started using Emby last week. I must've made an account in the past when I tried it for some reason, but stuck with Plex. Regardless, I'd like to see if the Premium features are worth it.

Not sure how something you run and stock yourself is freeloading. If they wanted to, a box price for the product would be fine, but it's kinda hilarious to call using Plex or Emby "Freeloading".

adamstewiegreen

I came over to Emby shortly after Plex released their Live TV.  I bought an HD Homerun specifically for their Live TV/DVR features and discovered it was so buggy it was useless.  I was already dealing with fairly large list of issues with Plex so when I discovered Emby through the Plex forums I gave them a shot.

I tried it out for less than a month and bought the lifetime, the difference is night and day.  DVR and TV worked flawlessly from the start, my FireTV audio works perfectly (I put up with audio dropouts for over a year with Plex, Plex blamed FireTV for the problem and claimed it couldn't be fixed).  And Emby has only improved since then, while Plex has since started barking up the wrong tree for my tastes. (although, I'd like it if emby released a separate audio player)

Even if you're not using the premium features it's definitely worth it - just to support it.

Spaceboy

Premiere definitely worth it. I was grandfathered in but chose to donate the equivalent of a licence and paid for the additional users licence. We like to moan on occasion but only because they set such high standards the rest of the time [emoji6]

• Like 2

mastrmind11

yep, i paid for premiere and i don't even use any of the premiere features.  the devs bust their asses to keep emby top notch, so might as well feed them, right?

• Like 1

Sammy

Premiere definitely worth it. I was grandfathered in but chose to donate the equivalent of a licence and paid for the additional users licence. We like to moan on occasion but only because they set such high standards the rest of the time [emoji6]

Remember MediaBrowser 3.0? Some rough stuff comparatively to now but well worth sticking with it.

I always knew it'd be a great work..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

arche

I've been using Emby since the MediaBrowser days (also redshirt days), and there has been times that I have cursed out emby on my older servers, but never regretted my choice to buy premiere. I am also using a 1070 ti for transcoding that I unlocked the limit / simultaneous transcodes. I've had about 7 transcodes at the same time at my highest without issue. But as it has probably been mentioned before, try a month, if you don't like it, you're only out a couple of dollars.

Besides the devs being great (and sometimes short with people, as expected with some people you can never make happy), the other more experienced users of emby are also great help with most issues.

Edited by arche

Sammy

Hi,

... and I am watching this thread, as the OP, if we come to "why" then this thread will get close and ... so please read :

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85619-decided-to-passthrough-a-gpu-for-fun-to-see-performance-improvements/page-2&do=findComment&comment=876678

Thanks.

I'm sorry if I missed something but are this thread and the one you linked somehow related? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Just a reminder so this thread do not goes as it usually goes:

Deathsquirrel

Just a reminder so this thread do not goes as it usually goes:

Dunno, that thread was unusually offensive to the usual posters :)

OP, the trial is $5.  That gets you a month of access to everything so you can decide if it's for you.

If you think about the expense of this hobby and the value this solution can offer, that's VERY reasonable.

Edited by Deathsquirrel