Mixed Content - Folder Being Recognized as Series

MSOBadger
Go to solution Solved by MSOBadger,

MSOBadger

I have recently been trying to setup a Pro Wrestling library in Emby.  Before I started setting things up, I did some forum research to see the best library type for this purpose and this thread (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68025-folder-structure-being-recognized-as-series/) indicated either a Mixed Content library or Home Video library would likely be the best.  I opted for the Mixed Content type. 

By its nature, Pro Wrestling is generally a mix of three content types:

1. Weekly episodic TV series, each spread across multiple years of "seasons" (e.g. WWE Raw, WCW Nitro, etc.), obviously best thought of as TV Series.
  2. Periodic PPV events that are each best thought of as individual Movies (e.g. WrestleMania I, WrestleMania II, Royal Rumble 1989, etc).
  3. Retail compilation tapes, documentaries, etc that are also best thought of as Movies.

I made sure to structure all of my files and folders into a structure that conformed to the Emby naming conventions.  For each of the various wrestling TV series, I named them in accordance with Emby's TV naming conventions, like this -->  Show Name (debut year) / Season 1 / Show Name - S01E01 - [Episode Name & Info].  For the PPV events and other items, I followed Emby's complex folder structure Movie naming conventions, like this --> WWF / PPV Events / WrestleMania / WrestleMania 2 (1986) / WrestleMania 2 (1986) - [version denotation, e.g. "720p"].mkv

My desired outcome in Emby looks like this:

• Pro Wrestling (library)
    • WWF/WWE (folder)
      • Monday Night Raw (type: TV Series)
        • Season 1 (1993)
        • Season 2 (1994)
      • PPV Events (folder)
        • WrestleMania (folder)
          • WrestleMania I (type: Movie)
          • WrestleMania II (type: Movie)
        • Royal Rumble (folder)
          • Royal Rumble 1988 (type: Movie)
          • Royal Rumble 1989 (type: Movie)
        • In Your House (folder)
          • In Your House 1 (type: Movie)
          • In Your House 2 (type: Movie)
    • Documentaries (folder)
      • Beyond the Mat (type: Movie)

For the most part, this is working.  However, I am having particular problems with the "In Your House" folder that I highlighted in red above.  Emby is detecting the organizational folder "In Your House" as a TV Series and then each of the individual PPV events within as an individual episode.  I can't for the life of my figure out why - as my "In Your House" folder structure is exactly the same as my WrestleMania folder structure (which is working perfectly as intended) - see below:

My "In Your House" folder strucure:

post-551604-0-32970600-1589131643_thumb.jpg

My "WrestleMania" folder structure:

post-551604-0-49744800-1589131690_thumb.jpg

I initially thought the root of the problem might have been that TVDB lists "In Your House" as a TV Series (https://www.thetvdb.com/series/wwe-in-your-house), however it looks like TVDB also lists WrestleMania as a TV Series (https://www.thetvdb.com/series/wrestlemania) but WrestleMania (and all the other PPV events) is working as-intended for me.

Since, thus far, the issue has been limited to the In Your House events, I'm fine with just manually entering in all of the metadata for each of the 27 individual In Your House events as a work-around... however I can't seem to get Emby to "forget" the association that it has of my "In Your House" folder as a TV Series.   I've tried creating a brand new folder with a completely different name and then dumping all of the In Your House events into that, but then Emby immediately recognizes THAT folder as the In Your House "tv series" and I'm right back where I started.

Is there any way to force Emby's Mixed Content library to treat a given folder as simply an organizational folder so that it ignores attempting to identify it?  Or, better yet, a way to tell Emby whether each folder is 1) an organizational folder, 2) a TV Series type, or 3) a Movie type?

Or perhaps I'm just missing something simple.  Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for all the work on this great app!

@@Happy2Play

@@cayars

This kind of thing can be tricky.  I do something similar for NFL games and other sports but I elected to use home videos library type so that Emby would never overwrite my work.  With some sports like NFL it's not to bad even without meta data as you have a YEAR, WEEK and games.

But anyway, have you tried to force the match on the In Your House (folder)?

Did you check the directory to see if Emby wrote an NFO file which you might want to remove.

MSOBadger

Thanks for the reply @@cayars.   Emby hasn't created an NFO file in the "In Your House" folder - that was my first thought too.  Maybe I'm missing something on the force-match question.  I don't want the "In Your House" folder to match anything - instead I want each individual In Your House event to match with the corresponding In Your House event on IMDB.   Is there a "Force Unmatch"?

As for the root of the problem - Emby identifying the collective In Your House events as a TV Series - I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that my naming structure for each individual In Your House event structure has a "In Your House / In Your House [event number] [event subtitle]" structure.  I just noticed that none of my other PPV's have a [Words] [Number] [Words] structure to them, for example:

My WrestleMania folder structure:

• ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / WrestleMania / WrestleMania 1 (1985) / WrestleMania 1 (1985) - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / WrestleMania / WrestleMania 2 (1986) / WrestleMania 2 (1986) - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / WrestleMania / WrestleMania 3 (1987) / WrestleMania 3 (1987) - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / WrestleMania / WrestleMania 4 (1988) / WrestleMania 4 (1988) - 720p.mkv
  • ... and so on.

Emby recognizes the above folder structure as just being all organizational folders up until each individual "WrestleMania X (XXXX)" folder.  Each individual "WrestleMania X (XXXX)" folder is recognized as a Movie to identify (which is what I want).

The same is true for other PPV events like Royal Rumble that don't have numbers associated with them, just years:

• ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / Royal Rumble / Royal Rumble (1988) / Royal Rumble (1988) - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / Royal Rumble / Royal Rumble (1989) / Royal Rumble (1989) - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / Royal Rumble / Royal Rumble (1990) / Royal Rumble (1990) - 720p.mkv
  • ... and so on.

Emby recognizes these as individual Movie items at the "Royal Rumble (XXXX)" folder level as well, not the "Royal Rumble" folder level.  (Again, exactly how I'd like it to.)

On the other hand, the In Your House folder structure has two main differences (as far as I can tell):

• ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 1 (1995) / In Your House 1 (1995) - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 2 (1995) The Lumberjacks / In Your House 2 (1995) The Lumberjacks - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 3 (1995) Triple Header / In Your House 3 (1995) Triple Header - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 4 (1995) Great White North / In Your House 3 (1995) Great White North - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 10 (1996) Mind Games / In Your House 10 (1996) Mind Games - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 11 (1996) Buried Alive / In Your House 11 (1996) Buried Alive - 720p.mkv
  • ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 27 (1999) St. Valentine's Day Massacre / In Your House 27 (1999) St. Valentine's Day Massacre - 720p.mkv

The two things that seem to differentiate the In Your House folder structure are:

1. Event Naming is [in Your House] [Event Number] [Event Subtitle] [(Year)].   None of my other PPV events (all of which are being recognized as Movies) have Text following a Number in the naming scheme.  Is it possible that this [TEXT] [NUMBER] [TEXT] structure is being interpreted by Emby as [TV Series Name] [season Number] [Episode Name]?
  2. In Your House is the only one of the PPVs that have more than one event per calendar year.  There were anywhere from 5-7 In Your House events each year, unlike things like WrestleMania and Royal Rumble, where there is only one such named event each year.  

If I had to guess, I'm betting that #1 above is the culprit.

• ... / WWF / Pay Per Views / In Your House / In Your House 2 (1995) The Lumberjacks / In Your House 2 (1995) The Lumberjacks - 720p.mkv

Let's try something simple.  On the "In Your House" TV show (incorrect match) click the 3 dot menu and select IDENTIFY.

Since you already know the IMDB ID number ONLY use that in the search and see what happens.

Report back if this fixes it for you or not.

• Solution
MSOBadger

It appears that it was the naming convention that I outlined above that seems to have been causing the issue. 

As I was typing up my last message, the thought came to me (which I mentioned) that perhaps the [Text] [Number] [Text] name structure (e.g. "In Your House 2 Lumberjacks (1995) / In Your House 2 Lumberjacks (1995).mkv") was causing Emby to think that they were TV episode or TV season numbers embedded in the file names. 

So, after I posted my last post, I went back and I renamed all of my In Your House event folders and video files to omit the event subtitle names and just have, for example, "In Your House 2 (1995) / In Your House 2 (1995).mkv".  After I did that, Emby recognized the parent "In Your House" directory as just a folder instead of a TV Series and each of the individual events are now recognized as individual Movie-type items instead of Series episodes.

I've let it run this way now for a couple days to make sure it didn't revert, but all seems well.  I would have preferred to have the full event titles in my file names for ease of file browsing outside of Emby, but at least this workaround appears to get Emby to stop thinking the events are a TV series.  So I can live with that!  :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...