roku emby languages support

silklve

silklve

Hi guys, thanks for emby released on roku. It's cool but for one imperfect. It doesn't support Japanese so that if my movies info contain Japanese, it won't display well. What i wish is that no matter what kind of display language the emby is, all the languages in the movies info can be displayed well. Hopefully that will come soon. Many thanks.

Hi, what text is not Japanese?

We presently base our fonts on Roboto which doesn't support it. We would need to use Noto for those languages. But Roku limits package size to 4MB. It is hard to fit Noto into that. This is why those languages are presently missing. Also missing are Right-to-Left languages such as Arabic because Roku doesn't support that presentation. Also missing are Korean, Japanese and Chinese but that is because it is hard to fit the font into that package size limit of 4MB.

See here: https://fonts.google.com/?subset=japanese

We did discuss this before but were never sure of the audience for those languages dependent on Noto. It is hard to devote resources and time when you do not know the audience size that would take advantage of the new languages. It is also hard because it would likely need to be a stand-alone app for each language Japanese, Korean, Chinese.. like an Emby-Japan, Emby-Korea, Emby-China, and then the main Emby app on Roku. It would be confusing but that is likely the only way to do it and keep under that 4MB limit.

Edited by speechles

silklve

We presently base our fonts on Roboto which doesn't support it. We would need to use Noto for those languages. But Roku limits package size to 4MB. It is hard to fit Noto into that. This is why those languages are presently missing. Also missing are Right-to-Left languages such as Arabic because Roku doesn't support that presentation. Also missing are Korean, Japanese and Chinese but that is because it is hard to fit the font into that package size limit of 4MB.

See here: https://fonts.google.com/?subset=japanese

We did discuss this before but were never sure of the audience for those languages dependent on Noto. It is hard to devote resources and time when you do not know the audience size that would take advantage of the new languages. It is also hard because it would likely need to be a stand-alone app for each language Japanese, Korean, Chinese.. like an Emby-Japan, Emby-Korea, Emby-China, and then the main Emby app on Roku. It would be confusing but that is likely the only way to do it and keep under that 4MB limit.

ok, i got it. and one more thing is that whether emby android version support all the languages including nato?

silklve

The Android app should have no problem with this. Thanks.

cool, i bought a roku TV and i didn't image the situation before. lol

• 2 years later...

As an new Emby user on Raku I have to admit I am bit surprised to see all my movies metadata in Japanese and Chinese are empty/marble. I am wondering if we have any plan to address this issue?

1 hour ago, Waymo said:

As an new Emby user on Raku I have to admit I am bit surprised to see all my movies metadata in Japanese and Chinese are empty/marble. I am wondering if we have any plan to address this issue?

Curious what it looks like. Can you show a screenshot? Thanks.