Trailers (again) - Only plays half of the trailer

Abobader

Please post the MBC log that goes along with that exact ffmpeg one.  Not sure why you would be transcoding but the FPS looks quite low.

What is the decision making used to determine streaming through MBS versus direct from apple? Perhaps I can help.

What is the decision making used to determine streaming through MBS versus direct from apple? Perhaps I can help.

I never stream direct from Apple.  I static stream through the server because it needs to add the proper user agent to the headers.  It should be doing this for all items from the Trailers channel - but this is that hack that is based on name that I didn't like...

breezytm

I really hope I'm not talking too soon but it appears to be back to normal (like it used to work before it became a channel).

Good job guys.

Edited by breezytm

rb0135

I don't know what you have done in the lastest Betas (I had a Server Beta update and two MBC updates today when I turned on the PC) and now I cant even play trailers at 480p.

They start to play, then about 3 seconds later start pausing for two seconds, then plays for 1 second then pauses and so on.

Now, my broadband connection is highspeed and AGAIN, I went straight to the trailer page and guess what, they played perfectly in IE.

Logs don't show anything out of the ordinary.

rb0135

Also to add...

Even on 480P and downloading the trailers, each trailer is 200+ MBytes.. Seems to me it is ignoring the 480P and downloading the best quality. Before the Server Beta update, when I tried to download the trailers at 720P, they where anywhere from 20-50MB

Also, the log states it is retrieving 720P versions (even when set to 480P)

Also to add...

Even on 480P and downloading the trailers, each trailer is 200+ MBytes.. Seems to me it is ignoring the 480P and downloading the best quality. Before the Server Beta update, when I tried to download the trailers at 720P, they where anywhere from 20-50MB

Also, the log states it is retrieving 720P versions (even when set to 480P)

Please post this in a new topic in the plug-ins forum as it sounds like a new issue with the plug-in or channel infrastructure.

breezytm

That must be really difficult for the devs to troubleshoot. One person saying it's working and another saying it's not working. I tried 8 trailers and only one of them buffered. I had played the same trailer before though, in previous beta versions, and it didn't buffer. Seven out-weight one; therefore, i thought it was progress.

Here's my setup. Latest MBS/MBC Beta. MBS i set to preferred internet stream quality to "best available"  and in MBC i have both streaming, Local and Remote, set to max (40Mbps). If you don't mind, try these settings and see if you get the same result. I did remember ebr asking me to set my local to 30Mbps in the past. Keep in mind my MBS/MBC are running on the same box. I don't think it makes much of a difference in my case but its worth a shot. 

rb0135

That must be really difficult for the devs to troubleshoot. One person saying it's working and another saying it's not working. I tried 8 trailers and only one of them buffered. I had played the same trailer before though, in previous beta versions, and it didn't buffer. Seven out-weight one; therefore, i thought it was progress.

Here's my setup. Latest MBS/MBC Beta. MBS i set to preferred internet stream quality to "best available"  and in MBC i have both streaming, Local and Remote, set to max (40Mbps). If you don't mind, try these settings and see if you get the same result. I did remember ebr asking me to set my local to 30Mbps in the past. Keep in mind my MBS/MBC are running on the same box. I don't think it makes much of a difference in my case but its worth a shot. 

Thanks for your input.

As a developer myself (and an IT expert for 30 years) I do understand the devs issues to solve it, and I have the knowledge to have the best settings/equipment possible running at the optimum and if I had the code, could fix the problem in no time (I'm sure. I'm not saying the Devs cant fix it, but there are probably bigger issues to work on than the trailers).

I have exactly your setup and it doesn't work, yet running direct from the trailers website, I can stream, full screen, no buffering without any issues.

My MBS/MBC is on the same box as well.

I did try the 40/40 for streaming, didn't do a thing other than make me wait 3 minutes to download a 1 minute trailer (maybe as it was "buffering" the 200MB+ trailer) then played fined, except when I tried to play it again, buffered really quick, played 3 seconds then stuttered as mentioned.

As EBR stated, I will open a topic under the Plugins as I am sure something as really broken in the latest MBS as setting it to even 480p, still trys to play (stream) the humongous 200MB+ High Quality file.

rb0135

Please post this in a new topic in the plug-ins forum as it sounds like a new issue with the plug-in or channel infrastructure.

Thanks EBR.

Will do.

Rob

rb0135

Ok, there is definitely an issue with the plugin and I will pop over to the plugin forum and open a new topic.

BUT, to sum, it up.

1) Changing the remote streaming to 30 seemed to allow several trailers to play without a hiccup, HOWEVER

2) After 4 (or 5) trailers, any trailer I try to play after that, just produces a BLACK play screen (as mentioned before) AND this time I double-checked the log (had it opened on the desktop) and it appears there were NO commands to fetch the trailer. The log was very "quiet", not like when the Trailers played.

breezytm

Ok, there is definitely an issue with the plugin and I will pop over to the plugin forum and open a new topic.

BUT, to sum, it up.

1) Changing the remote streaming to 30 seemed to allow several trailers to play without a hiccup, HOWEVER

2) After 4 (or 5) trailers, any trailer I try to play after that, just produces a BLACK play screen (as mentioned before) AND this time I double-checked the log (had it opened on the desktop) and it appears there were NO commands to fetch the trailer. The log was very "quiet", not like when the Trailers played.

I am having the black screen issue with other plugins like vevo but not trailers. As a matter fact Vevo doesn't play at all for me. A constant black screen every time. I've reported it already and they are looking into it.

breezytm

And im back to having issues with Trailers. Constant buffering. I didn't change anything. MBS updated and that's about it. UGHHHHHH {I know i sound like a girl :D }

well, you can probably do that. i think for us to bundle a player by default would probably be a very controversial change unless we can make it really seamless. the one general bundle i would advocate though is lav filters.

You can configure an external player in MBC if you wish but we actually have better control with the internal player - unless you need to switch subtitle or audio tracks or must have BD menus.

I use the internal WMC player exclusively now and don't miss the extra hassle of the external.

there are no changes. they are identical to what it was like before channels. remember what i said about the trailers being very high bitrate. i have a very fast connection and once in a while they stutter for me (outside of MBS).

breezytm

there are no changes. they are identical to what it was like before channels. remember what i said about the trailers being very high bitrate. i have a very fast connection and once in a while they stutter for me (outside of MBS).

Uhmm. I have 50 up 25 down. That's more than enough i suppose. 

Quick question though. @@ebr is welcome to jump in. I don't want to hop too much out of the topic scope but is there a reason why you guys don't use an external player for MBC? A concept similar to TMT. I personally never used it so i don't know much about it but i've read about it. That way ya'll have more control over stuff like subtitles, rewind, fast forward, a better streaming capability. Trailers was buffering for me like crazy. I went and launch the 'apple trailers' from XBMC and no issue. Same box. It looks like WMC player is the root cause of most of the issue. 

mariors44

I'm having problems playing trailers as well. Some trailers will play for a few seconds and then quit  or just looking at a black screen ( will not play at all). I have the latest version MBC and MS installed.

• 4 months later...

Well, months down the track and I still cant play Trailers, using the Trailer Channel plugin in MBC. Even trying to have the channel download content, it takes over 1 hour to download approx 6 files (roughly 10-20mb each). Now, before again I hear that it must be my connection, it isn't as I can run any other program that streams trailers and it works 100% at 1080. I have set the channel plugin to the lowest quality, yet it still stops after each 5 secs to buffer the video.

Also, as I have stated, the trailers used to work perfect in MBCv2.

When might people spend some time to get the trailers working properly?

I think they do work properly for most people or there would be a whole lot more posts in here.  I know they work in my environment.

What happens if you try to play them with the web client on the same machine you are doing it in MBC?

Hi Ebr,

There are actually a lot that are in the same boat, but I think they give up like I do, then try again after a few realeases.

The Server and MBC are on the same PC. I am really not interested in running any of the webclient as this is a standalone PC in the theatre room. I am also not interested in running trailers before movies, just now and again, I would like to look at new trailers of new movies coming out.

However, I have tried running it on the web client as you asked and it does the same (although the quality seems like what it should be as set in the Server and is way less that when played on MBC).

So, to recap (on both Web and MBC), it starts to play for about 5-10 seconds (varies as sometimes it doesn't get through the first 5 seconds), then every second it pauses, plays 1 sec, pauses, plays 1 sec. it actually takes twice as long to play a trailer.

I have attached log files if that helps (look for Shaun the Sheep trailer). Hope I attached them right.

I don't mind testing different things.

Thanks,

Rob

MBClassic-14122014b5e67eed47434ae192db41372a71fd72.log

server.txt

Ebr,

Also to the above, I looked again at the logs I sent to you, and I noticed this: http://cdn.movie-list.com/hd/shaunthesheepc720.mp4

Two things:

1) Mediaserver is set to 480, not 720, so it seems to be ignoring the setting.

2) Trying to go direct to the website, with that url takes an extraordinary amount of time but plays OK without stopping. However, if I go to the equivalent SD trailer on the same website, no problem at all. It plays basically straight away.

So, I suppose the question is, why is MediaServer ignoring the quality setting, or, if 480 trailer does not exist (which it doesn't for the trailer, only 720 and 360) it seems MediaServer pick the next Highest video value, rather than a lower one?

I have a 10Meg link and as stated can stream 1080 trailers from other sites through the web browser

Thanks,

Rob

it is not ignoring the setting, but sometimes there's only one so that's what you get no matter what the setting says. otherwise, it picks the closest one.

So, I think I gather from all of that that the problem is environmental due to the slow connection speed and it is not related to MBC at all.

The browser may be taking the approach of buffering a whole lot more of the video than we do which is why you are seeing a long delay and then smoother playback.  I'm not sure what the impact would be for us to try and change that.

Luke, Thanks for your reply. The ones I have checked, there are 2. One 360p the other 720p... Maybe you need too add more choice in quality on the media server channel options.. Just an idea.

EBR. What do you mean environmental due to a slow connection. There is no slow connection on my broadband side of things, I have a 10mb link each way. The only environmental issue it could be is the web site you use to stream the trailers from. I keep informing you guys I stream 1080p trailers manually from other websites and youtube, no problems at all.

EBR, yes, the browser I think did buffer the whole lot before playing, and that took about the length of the trailer to do. I am also thinking (as I develop as well) there is not enough buffering done on the MediaServer for HD, but as you state, if you try and change that, what would be the impact.Could the buffer be an option that a user could set for the channel?

The rest of the program is fantastic, just wish I could watch trailers when I wanted too.

Thanks,

Rob