Nvidia Shield server unsuccesful scan

prunhardt

prunhardt

Hi,

Every now and then (approx. once a week) Emby server 4.4.2.0 won't scan a library successfully.

The library will show only empty icons with the folder name containing newly added files, or - in this case - won't show any new items at all.

After a restart of the server everything works fine.

I start the scan through the web interface on a Windows PC.

I've attached two logs: one after the unsuccesful update and one after the restart and succesful scan. 

It is only a little annoying, and easily fixed, but still it would be nice if it didn't happen again.

Hope you can help.

KR Peter

Embyserver log after failed scan.txt

Embyserver log after restart and succesful scan.txt

Sure, what do you want to know?

Can you please go over an example of this?

The library will show only empty icons with the folder name containing newly added files, or - in this case - won't show any new items at all.

Thanks.

prunhardt

I can't give you any screenshots, since the problem is fixed for now after a server restart and the problem only appears every now and then.

What happened this time refering to the logs attached in the opening post  is this:

I added new files in the "TV Series" library for Seal Team and Transplant in the newly created folders Seal Team and Transplant (I watch an episode and then remove both files and folders).

After a library scan nothing happened. Usually I see a progress circle appearing during the scan, but every time the scan fails the progress circle doesn't appear.

I have a second library that contains TV Shows that my wife watches, called "TV Series Knuffeltje". 

As a routine after adding files I start a scan for both libraries immediately, without waiting until a scan is finished before starting another.

In this case the library "TV Series" didn't show a progress circle during the scan, but the TV Series Knuffeltje scan did, although no files were added to that library.

Hope this helps in your investigation. If you need more info, let me know.

prunhardt

In other cases, after a failed scan, the new files won't show in the Emby web interface, but the folders will show as coloured icons with the name of the folder/TV Serie. 

I don't have a screenshot but it looks like this (found this pic by searching for "Emby failed scan"). 

aE6TSi1.jpg

Edited by prunhardt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
prunhardt

Hi, I had the issue last night. Refreshing the metadata didn't help. Please note this is not only about missing pictures, but also the downloaded video file doesn't show in the client until I restart the server and perform another library scan.

prunhardt

The files are named "as found", according to the usual protocol for naming and stored in separate folders.  The folders are each named after the serie the files represent. 

Please note that after a server restart, everything works fine, does that not mean the naming and organizing are ok? 

Edited by prunhardt

prunhardt

Many thanks, looking forward to figuring this out with @cayars help. 

Recently the problem seems to happen more often while at the same time new files are added less frequently (going from almost daily updates to only a few new files a week). It is still a hunge, but I think it might have something to do with the automatic library scans creating a problem when no new files were added since the panultimate one. 

To test it, I stopped the automatic scans and perform manual scans only to see what effect it has. 

So far so good, but since it's been only a few days it's to early to tell.

Looking through the log (June 29th post) I'm seeing the scan aborted with a database error "FOREIGN KEY constraint failed"

here's the timestamp 2020-06-29 18:45:51.274 Error TaskManager: Error

@Lukeby any chance could Emby be trying to insert "null" or something like that into the database from an incomplete result from themoviedb.org

• 2 weeks later...
prunhardt

Hi, any update on this?

My update: with the automatic library scan disabled, and a manual scan only for a library that actually has new content, the problem has not re-occured.

Edit: I stand corrected. I did a succesful library scan on the library "Films" in Chrome (URL client), then say 10 mins later a failed library scan on the library "TV series" in the Windows Client app.

A server restart helped, as usual.

I've attached the server log.

20200716 embyserver (1).txt

Edited by prunhardt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure yet what's going on there. Would you mind trying the beta server to see if it happens with that? Thanks.

prunhardt

Hi, I switched to the beta server last Tuesday. Did a few succesful scans. Today, 2 succesful scans of two libraries, the third failed. Although there is a new file, it isn't shown in Emby client.

I've attached the server logs. 

image.thumb.png.3f9e7ff0d8027cd8137fe8cc6a35a04c.png

20200731 embyserver.txt

Edited by prunhardt
Added screenshot

Was the 3rd a different library?  Were the first two scans complete lib scans or just specific libs.

More info please.

What I'd do is see which libs work when scanned and which fail to complete.

Then it's a matter of finding a corrupt file in that library by moving things in out of the library.

prunhardt

I can do that, the thing is that after a server restart everything works fine. So far, it's not just one lib that fails when scanned, it's random.