Why is Emby DVR recording into a Series subfolder?

jspenc3
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jspenc3

I have Emby DVR set up with " E:\Emby Recordings " as the Default recording path, and nothing in the Movies or Series optional boxes.  In case it matters, I did play with the optional folder items previously, but they have been blanked out for months because I didn't want everything in different folders (less remote clicking this way).  I have the auto-organize plugin installed but currently disabled, and have never used it.

This is mostly working fine, but for some reason certain new shows (maybe it's all of them) at saving into a subfolder named " Series " instead of the top E:\Emby Recordings folder.  All of the existing recordings are in the E:\Emby Recordings folder in separate folders based on the show name.  If I go to Windows Explorer and move the new show's folder up a level (above the Series folder) Emby will record any new shows there.  Usually.  Sometimes I find it will make a new folder in the Series folder for existing shows and I have to manually drag it out.

What I want is to be able to click on Recorded TV from my main menu, then see all of my shows.  I don't care what kind of show it is, movie or otherwise, I just want anything from the DVR in here, not in a sub folder I have to click yet again to get to the content.

Ultimately I treat recorded TV as a short term storage, I don't generally keep shows to re-watch.  If it's something I do want to keep I'll move it into my separate "longer term" TV Shows, Movies, etc. library and convert it to an h265 MKV.

Some day it would be nice to have that feature built into Emby as a button next to Delete, but for now I'd just like to know why Emby is making that Series folder, and how do I get it to stop?

@@cayars

• 2 weeks later...
jspenc3

OK, I pointed Emby at a new recorded TV folder but it is still creating the new recordings in a Series subfolder.  

Can one of the devs confirm why it is doing this?

rbjtech

Worth checking the ..\programdata\config\livetv.xml file to see if it's consistent with what you are expecting - 

<RecordingPath>\\media\TV Recording</RecordingPath>
  <EnableRecordingSubfolders>false</EnableRecordingSubfolders>

If I add Movie/Series options these two entries get added -

<RecordingPath>\\media\TV Recording</RecordingPath>
  <MovieRecordingPath>\\media\TV Recording\Movie</MovieRecordingPath>
  <SeriesRecordingPath>\\media\TV Recording\Series</SeriesRecordingPath>

<EnableRecordingSubfolders>false</EnableRecordingSubfolders>

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

@@jspenc3

Please do as rbjtech mentioned above and report back.  If option isn't set to false please try changing that and restarting Emby Server.

jspenc3

I just checked and <EnableRecordingSubfolders> was set to true.  I changed it to false and saved the file, then did a test recording and nothing changed.  I then deleted the incorrect folders and checked the file and found it was set back to true.  I think it did that when I went to the Emby DVR page and updated the post processing script path, which forced it to resave the livetv.xml file.  For some reason it also appears to be INCORRECTLY changing this back to true.

I then edited the file again and changed it back to false, then did a test recording and it still made a series folder.  I then cleaned that out and restarted Emby server, then did another recording and this time it FINALLY stopped making that series folder and worked exactly like I expected & wanted.

Hopefully this will get fixed soon so I don't have to fight the server to fix this file every time I make a change to the DVR settings page...

jspenc3

As I mentioned I did eventually do that and it fixed the issue, but for some reason it kept changing it back if I go to the DVR page.  What exactly controls that setting in the config website for Emby server?

On a side note, I am slowly migrating to a different Windows PC to run Emby server and I had the three folders still set up in that Emby server's config.  It also had the <EnableRecordingSubfolders> set to FALSE even though I had entered the folders.  I cleared them out, then updated the main recording path to another folder and it never turned that setting to true.  How did my other server get that turned on, and why won't it stop doing it?

• Like 1

@@Luke can you check the code to make sure <EnableRecordingSubfolders> doesn't change this value by editing OTHER things on the page that shouldn't change this setting?

Thanks

I can't easily test this since I do in fact use separate folders for movies & shows.  That's why I asked if you could take a quick look at the code.

As I mentioned I did eventually do that and it fixed the issue, but for some reason it kept changing it back if I go to the DVR page.  What exactly controls that setting in the config website for Emby server?

If you were editing with the server running, that would explain that...

jspenc3

OK, I'll do another test but ebr is probably correct on why it changed back.

What exactly is that field for, and what normally turns it to true in the web config?

• Like 1

What exactly is that field for, and what normally turns it to true in the web config?

It wasn't really "turned" to true.  Here is my hypothesis on what happened:

You edited the config file while Emby server was running.

Then you brought up the config page, changed something and saved.

The problem is the configuration was read at server start (or some previous other time) so your "edit" did not exist for the running server and it just saved back the data it already had.

If, instead, you make your edit without the server running, then everything should be fine.

jspenc3

Sorry for being unclear, I understood that part, I was just curious what that field is for and why it would ever be set to True because on my other Emby server (that still had the three folders set up) it was set to False.  So how did it ever get set to True?  Is there a setting that controls it that I overlooked?

• Solution

It's something that used to be in the user interface but is no longer there. If it's relegated to a hidden config switch it means it's not getting the same level of testing as other features.

• Like 1

jspenc3

It's something that used to be in the user interface but is no longer there. If it's relegated to a hidden config switch it means it's not getting the same level of testing as other features.

AHHH, that makes since.  I probably played with a setting years ago (I've been using Emby on that server for forever LOL) and never knew it was lingering hidden in the settings.  It's a shame the code didn't include something to correct that, but I guess that's how it goes with these projects that have been around for a long time :-).

• 4 months later...

I ran into this same issue, and this incident helped me fix it. Thank you.

In my case, I think I know how it happened, and perhaps it exposes a small bug. At some point I had entered my recording subfolder name into my Default recording path, Movie recording path and Series recording path, though I used the same folder name for all three. Realizing this was superfluous, I blanked out the  Movie and Series entries. I think that when I had specified all three, the EnableRecordingSubfolders value was set to true, but when I cleared the Movie and Series paths, it was not set back to false. This would explain how it was left set and caused my series recordings to start going under a Series subfolder. It might be worth a check.

Thanks