LiveTV streaming stops after about 35 minutes

ptlh2a

Good to know. Have you tried using the TVHeadend plugin vs using M3U via Emby?

ptlh2a

There is such a thing? I have not, but would be very willing to try that out. Do you have any info or link that I can go to, and I will try to implement that in the next day or two. My TVHeadend seems to be ok, so maybe the plug-in might be a good way to go.

Check out this knowledge base article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160487

Basically in the web admin go the plugins menu, then click on catalog.

Scroll down to Live TV and you'll find the TVHeadend plugin in that section.  You might need to scroll to the right to find it.

Running through the plugin vs M3U will give us another data point if you still have the issue.

ptlh2a

It installed, and I set it up to point to the TVHeadend instance, and when I go to the home screen, it's just spinning circle (no content). I did check on the TVHE server, and it is connecting. I tried to put the stream URL that I had for the M3U connection, and it did not work.

Screenshot_2020-06-29_13-33-10.thumb.png.e2b9836409a77dab0334c62eca25dffa.png

I don't use this myself but just installed the plugin to see what type of information it asks for and at the top of the plugin it says Http digest authentication must be disabled in TV HeadEnd in order for the Emby plugin to connect.

I actually just read through 36 pages of the plugin thread and after reading that thread I would not suggest using the TVHeadEnd plugin but would stay with using M3U files. I think I wasted your time with that suggestion!

Can you reconfigure with M3U and see if you still have the same problem.  If so post a new set of logs.

Edited by cayars

Q-Droid

I noticed in the server log that you appear to be using a transcoding profile on TVH. Have you tried using the passthru profile?

'http://192.168.1.100:9981/stream/channelid/1112135344?ticket=46882A20AF2C5231B17766AF1F382C64043A400E&profile=webtv-h264-aac-mpegts'

You're also using an account with credentials instead of a no-auth account. Though this is more of a convenience that shouldn't affect streaming.

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

ptlh2a

I tried the passthru profile and it does not work, but when I use the webtv-h264-acc-mpegts profile, I can get connected to TVHE and get live TV. When using passthru, I don't ever see a connection establish at TVHE.

I have removed the TVHE plugin and rebuilt the M3U profile. It's back to where it was before.

Can you post a new log showing the issue and give a time to use as a reference in the log?

Q-Droid
51 minutes ago, ptlh2a said:

I tried the passthru profile and it does not work, but when I use the webtv-h264-acc-mpegts profile, I can get connected to TVHE and get live TV. When using passthru, I don't ever see a connection establish at TVHE.

I have removed the TVHE plugin and rebuilt the M3U profile. It's back to where it was before.

What is your source signal? No info about that in the thread so I'll assume it's OTA MPEG-2 (ATSC).

Using the transcoding profile makes TVH convert the stream using ffmpeg of an unknown version, unnecessary overhead and very likely software transcoding. In my experience it's better to have TVH stream the signal in it's original format and let Emby handle the heavy lifting.

VLC is good for testing changes in the setup.

ptlh2a

I will work on making it work with passthru.

I did do testing with VLC (I believe thru the other profile, but I will verify), and it works fine thru TVHE without failing or stopping (watched for multiple hours without incident). I am running top on the server, and it's not getting beat up - load is 1.43/1.04/.84. I don't see CPU going much over 30%,

I have uploaded logs for another failure. I started watching the program at 11AM local, and it ran over 1 hour. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. NOTE: There is no FFMPEG log...don't know if it just has not finished writing, or what.

I will work on getting the passthru profile working.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63729197634.txt

ptlh2a

I used the pass profile from VLC player to TVHE, and it worked fine. If I use the same URL within Emby (I typed it the same), then Emby does not like the pass profile very much. The EPG does not work well, when I try to stream to devices (like Roku), it connects to the channel, but the video is frozen (audio seems to work). When I move it back to the previous profile I had been using, all the issues above go away (but the stream stops within 30 min). I have attached logs from one of those failures (with debug turned on).

embyserver-63729244800.txt hardware_detection-63729232440.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f5aec9e9-5472-480e-983b-1717891b955f_1.txt

ptlh2a

These logs should be NOT using pass thru. I have some earlier FFMPEG logs that were using passthru, but this was the latest one, and that one was NOT using passthru.

I think you need to take Q-Droid's advice above and get pass through working so only Emby is "touching" the stream.

We are experiencing issues with the latest Roku firmware 9.3.x that is out in the wild. We are attempting to diagnose where things changed. It appears the Roku firmware is more aggressive about terminating streams than it used to be. There may be an undocumented video player attribute that we could alter to change this behavior. Since it is undocumented it would need a setting to enable and disable the hack-work-around. That is all we can do is hack a work-around by hopefully finding the hidden attribute we can alter to make the Roku behave again. I am suspecting it is a timeout somewhere that occurs when the packets stop sending. That happens with throttling because the server can delay them until more are needed. The Roku is interpret this delay as the end of the file or something. When it gets to that point it fails the video player on an error and closes the video player. All we can do is respawn the player but the damage is already done. The Roku sees the same exact URL pulls up its cache and its game over and ends. This is the problem. We have to first find the work-around and hidden setting in the video player. This is what we are doing right now. Please be patient. We want this working as much as everyone else. This is a major problem. We are not minimize this. It is just hard to fix since so much investigating must be done first. This is why I am explain why it is taking us so long. Please be patient. We will figure this out. There are many of us on this. It isn't just one or two persons.

Edited by speechles

ptlh2a

Thank you for the info. I was starting to think that the best solution was to just go get a Silicon Dust due to it's support, but sounds like this would happen even if I went that route instead of the M3U stream while watching on Roku.

There is still some frustration about this not working with my current tuner - it feels like Emby & "the other major media system" (I came to Emby after leaving them due to LiveTV frustrations) both have issues with LiveTV, unless you use the Silicon Dust device. I can understand Roku developers made undocumented changes that have to be worked on, but there still seems to be issues using my current WinTV tuner. When I watch TV thru TVHeadEnd (or VLC to TVHE), it works fine, but when I put Emby into the mix, it has issues.

I still may go the SD route, as my LiveTV timeout still happens on other devices (like iPad), but it's good to know that the Roku isn't really a reliable testing source right now (I also have WebOS/LG TV that I can test with). I have noticed watching LiveTV on iPad goes for a longer time (like an hour or more) before it goes south, but the Roku dies out within 15 minutes or so. Maybe I need to resurrect the Fire Stick and see if that works.

I will try to see if I can get pass thru to work, but when I put that link into the M3U tuner, it makes everything go haywire (EPG is a mess, etc). However, when I try pass profile with VLC, it works fine.

Let me see if I can generate logs for using the pass thru profile in TVHE with Emby.

If you don't mind spending the money on an SD tuner you won't regret it.  They are great tuners.

Q-Droid

If you make 'pass' the default profile in TVH then you don't have to muck around with the URL and can exclude '?profile=' from the call. You do have to make sure the user doesn't have a profile overriding the system default.

Are you using the Emby built-in EPG or sourcing from TVH? Just wondering because your mention of a mess above.

So with the "working" setup it looks like you are transcoding the video stream twice. Once in TVH and again in Emby. The audio stream is copied in Emby, don't know what's happening there on TVH. I think it would be a better experience overall if you can get passthru working. I couldn't say how well your older CPU could handle transcoding HD content twice per Live TV stream.

ptlh2a

I was able to get the pass thru working (at least tested it on my iPad and it was streaming LiveTV ok). I am using the Emby EPG, and I figured out that I have to redo the mappings...I was able to fix a few channels that started showing ok, but need to go thru and finish it up.

I will finish getting the EPG mappings setup, get it all squared up and working, and will then re-do the test to see if it can continue running for more than 30ish minutes.

I did run a top command while it was running pass-thru, and the load on the server was WAY lower (less than .50 for long term load, CPU not going much over 10ish%), so resource wise it's not having any type of issue. The main drive is an SSD, so there should be no real resource bottlenecks, especially running pass-thru.

Let me work on getting this all cleaned up, and will run some tests and upload new logs (or report that it's all fixed - hopefully) over the weekend.

Thanks for support. Have a good holiday.

• Like 1

That's good to hear.  Sounds like you are making good progress now!

ptlh2a

Good morning. So, some good progress, here is where I am at.

1. EPG fixed - mapped channels, and it seems to be in better shape.
2. Using the passthru profile seems to work better. I watched about an hour of Live TV on my LG TV, and it did not stop (I will run a longer stream, but it would usually fail after 30ish minutes).

Now the problem is when I stop a stream (by hitting stop button or back button), I cannot re-establish another stream for another channel (so, say I want to go and watch another station, I stop the first one and try to go to the next one). The only way it will work is if I go restart the Emby process, and then I can go pick another station. This was happening before I used pass-thru.

The TVHE server sees the initial TV request stream (the first one), but then when it's stopped (and I verify that it isn't getting hung up - the stream gets disconnected and goes away) I never see another stream show up on TVHE side, so it's like Emby isn't requesting it. I have verified thru TVHE that I can change channels ok and it will spawn a stream for the new channel I pick.

I think were getting there, but still not 100% over the finish line. I have not tested DVR as well (I will do that today).

Thanks for all of the help.

Since this is a different problem could you maybe start a new thread on this since the 35 minute issue is resolved?

You can put the new link here for us to follow.