LiveTV streaming stops after about 35 minutes

ptlh2a

ptlh2a

Good morning. First off, please forgive some of my ignorance with Emby - I came over from Plex, and like this product, but not an expert at it.

Main (only issue I have had so far) issue is LiveTV streaming stops around 35 minutes after it starts.

System: Ubuntu 18.04/small Dell desktop (quad core/8Gb/SSD), Hauppauge WinTV dual tuner (USB). NAS attached via external network mounts. LiveTV gets stored local on SSD. Using M3U tuner --> TVHeadend on same server. Running 4.4.2.0 for Emby version.

LiveTV starts great, and runs flawlessly onto any device (but in the instance with provided logs, it was a Roku Ultra). In the attached logs, at 7:34, the wheels come off the wagon and the stream stops and reports "No Streams Available". I try to use iPad to open stream, and it just spins with no connection. TVHeadend does not show any stream establishing (it does when LiveTV is working).

Restarting the Emby service fixes the issue, and LiveTV works again. Until it fails again.

If I watch directly on TVHeadend, or set up a stream with VLC, it runs all day long, so it seems that it's something between TVHeadend and Emby.

Really like this product more than Plex...was hoping this would work. From reading, this could be an existing bug that folks are working on.

Attached is embyserver.txt log (not at debug setting - can repeat issue with debugging turned on if needed). It also could be some ham-fisted newbie mistake on my end, so any help is appreciated.

FFMPEG file to Roku also added.

Thanks for any help.

Pete

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-9830be88-b805-4551-a6b1-8f83a26fecff_1.txt

Hi there, as a test, if you lower the in-app quality setting on the Roku so that the server does a full video transcode, does that resolve the issue?

ptlh2a

Good morning. I lowered the Roku app settings to 720HD/10Mb (it was set to Auto before), and also said to Allow Live Stream, and still ran into the same issue.

Let me know if I need to run this test with debugging on for logging (or other additional steps).

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.
Pete

Hi.  Did that cause a full transcode?  Can we please see the ffmpeg log from that test?

ptlh2a

So, I went thru the logs and saw a quit in there...let me re-run this until it completely fails.

I will run it again and capture the log, and run it in debug mode as well, so please stand by.

Pete

ptlh2a

Just for giggles, I took and ran the same test on an LG Smart TV (Emby Theatre App 1.0.24). Ran for about 40ish minutes, and ended with the same error "Playback Error. No compatible streams are currently available".

When I try to connect to another channel (or that one), just get the same spinning circle like it's trying to connect. TVHeadEnd does not show any streams in it's UI (it does when Emby is running LiveTV ok).

I was looking at logs, and some say "Server Returned 404 Not Found" and HTTP error 404 not found. I have attached one of those logs in this post.

• 4 weeks later...
ptlh2a

I can run LiveTV and monitor disk space while it's running. I don't think it is, but I cannot say with full certainty. I can test and find out.

ptlh2a

I ran a show and kept watching the disk, and it did not decrease in disk space available. There is 80Gb on /dev/sda1 to work with. All slices on the server have plenty of space on them.

I stopped the show I was watching, and then tried to get into another one, and it would not let me get into that show (just gave me the spinning disk like its attempting to, but nothing else).

I really don't believe that disk space is an issue with this server.

Any other thoughts?

Thx.

ptlh2a

I just verified that disk space is not an issue - I watched a high-def program until it quit working, and the disk had dropped about 1.5Gb from the 80Gb available, and then returned to 80Gb after it stopped the program. Attempting to continue playing the program resulted in the same spinning disk  but not establishing a stream thru TVHeadend, or beginning the program unless I restarted the Emby server (service only - not full reboot).

Also, I performed the upgrade to 4.4.3.0, just in case it might help. Same results...the upgrade did not help this situation.

Thanks.
Pete

• 2 weeks later...

@ptlh2a check the "Transcoding temporary files:" path on the dashboard and also check "Default recording path:" on DVR menu.

Make sure they are both set to a drive with plenty of space.  I know you said you checked but no idea how many drives or if one of these settings is pointed to a different location so it's good to check.

How much space is available at the following location "/var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp" ?

ptlh2a

Good morning. /var is hanging off of /, and there is 80Gb available.

Default recording path is blank, and so is Transcoding temporary files (so it should go to transcoding-temp). I started up a Live TV stream and verified that temp files are being placed in the path you listed (/var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp).

Thanks.
Pete

If you don't mind me asking what is your source of TV that you are using TVHeadend?

Is it possible to setup you TV directly in Emby?

ptlh2a

Hauppauge WinTV Dual-HD. The TVHeadend server and the Emby server are the same physical system. There are no performance bottlenecks when both are running. I have watched LiveTV thru TVHeadend directly, and it runs for hours without any issues. I don't believe Emby has a way of directly connecting to this tuner.

Edited by ptlh2a

ptlh2a

Is there a way to direct connect? If there is, I would do that...I thought that you can use either SiliconDust or M3U connections for any other tuners (there were no other selections for Hauppauge). When I select "Other", and it goes thru the detect process, it does not detect my tuner. This is why I went thru M3U.

Is there another way? More than willing to try.

Pete

Have a read through the knowledge base article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160415-live-tv-setup

Out of the box, Emby Server currently supports the following TV Tuners:

So if you are running on Windows you should be able to use your Hauppauge TV tuner directly. I do believe you have to have WINTV installed on the windows box first before setting up Emby to use it.

Edited by cayars

ptlh2a

This isn't running Windows, so it cannot natively run Hauppauge tuners, which is why I am using an M3U. The server is an Ubuntu server.

If you support M3U, it still should not have this issue (it runs for 30 minutes, so it is working at least somewhat).

Are you advising me to either run my media server as Windows, or purchase and use a HDHomerun tuner?

I wouldn't say I was recommending that but both would be options.  I was just suggesting if you were running Windows you could directly use the tuner with wintv installed.

What do you mean if we support M3U?  We do support this already.

ptlh2a

That is how I have Emby setup to receive TV stream from TVHeadend. It's set as an M3U Tuner, and TVHeadend handles working with the WinTV device.