Need Transcoding help

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Sure, here you go.

One note I changed the HDHR extend transcode profile to heavy for testing.  Seems to be working fine with pause rewind also.  That said it does buffer a few second longer.  Both seem to play stable once they buffer 1 time.

20210407_141223.jpg

It is still doing what we do. It is direct stream. You need to disable transcoding AND disable conversion without re-encoding streams.

-> Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
-> Allow video playback that requires transcoding

Those above will control converting the stream to another format. But.. we only do this with Live TV if a codec is not supported.

-> Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding

This will produce either a remux or a direct stream. This is how we handle Live TV we change the container from TS to M3U8 using HLS streaming. You are still changing containers. You have not changed the normal behavior that would've happened if you had not checked the transcoding options.

To produce a "true" direct play all 3 of those options above (->) need to be set to NO. The "re-encoding" option needs to be set to NO to use the TS container in direct play on your Roku. Once you have done this you can now try to direct play for real and see if you can seek. You will be upset likely. This is why we disable the TS container by default. ^_~

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

speechles

Thanks for the quick reply but I think I did not state my point.  Originally my problem was that while playing live TV on the Roku devices HD channels were being transcoded as was evident by the ffmpg-transocde log files.  Other channels would show as ffmpeg-remux.  This was a problem for two reasons, first because the HD channels on my Roku ultra were frequently stopping to buffer.  Plus it was creating a lot of files on my server taking resources and sometimes with multiple sets watching I would run out of space due to the transcode files where do not clean up well.

Now with the two transcode settings off in the user profile playing the same channels on the same Roku devices seem to directstream as is evident by the log file ffmpeg-directstrem and they are not buffering frequently anymore.

I have attached two log files for the same channels on the same user and the same Roku.  The only difference is that the directstream one is after I turned off the Allow video playback that requires transcoding option for that user.

ffmpeg-transcode-a8ab08bd-4069-4ddd-b4ae-0c3174ce3ecc_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-83b87aef-d51c-48b0-8f33-2e210da93aad_1.txt

The transcode happens for the deinterlacing. There were changes on the server to this part. If you use the Emby server Beta it should work without you having to change those options. We might have to update part of the application to get this corrected entirely I am not sure at this exact moment. I need to investigate more. But we are a team and this will be handled in Beta much more quickly. If you wouldn't mind becoming part of that (using the Beta Emby server with the Beta Roku app) it would lead to answers more quickly for you.

Edited by speechles

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

I can do some testing with the beta version no problem.  I will update tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Ok I can confirm that playing the same channel on the same roku using Emby beta has the same results.  It transcodes if I have Allow video playback that requires transcoding enabled.  It does not if that is disabled.  I have attached the log files for review.

ffmpeg-directstream-47f9fa99-1778-4f3d-b860-2dd276a07538_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-3a206de6-acf8-4d6a-b002-7c0760870618_1.txt

It is an interlaced channel.  The Roku app is going to have to be updated when the next server release comes out and then it will allow it to direct stream again.