sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Need Transcoding help

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

So I have recently added a HDhomerun EXTEND to my Emby system.  The goal is to allow people to watch a few local stations in Emby that we do not get on other steaming services.   All of my TVs are Roku clients of different types.  Some hardwired some Wifi.  I use my Android client on my phone on occasion also.  I have 2 HDhomerun EXTEND units connected and my goal is to be able to support 4 users watching / recording at the same time without any major load on my Emby server.

The Server is virtualized running as a Windows 10 system in VMware 6.5.  It has 4 cores and 10GB or RAM.  All the storage is local SSD on a RAID 5 array.  The server is Emby Premier version 4.4.2.0 and the Roku clients are using Emby beta. 

Historically software transcoding has been fine for the movies and other videos I have in my library but with TV I knew the use would spike and more transcoding maybe needed.  This lead me to buy the HDhomerun Extend versions due to their capability to decode.  

Once setup I had a few issues with specific channels that I have learned are down to reception thanks to posts and help in other Emby forums.  Then I was still seeing ffmpeg activity going on, sometimes as a directstream where the audio was being converted, others full transcoding.  With more help from the Forum I purchased and installed a NVIDIA GTX 1030 card to do hardware decoding.  

The problem is I am still seeing ffmpeg activity for the Roku clients.  I now DO NOT see it for the Android but definitely for the Roku clients.  Can somebody help me sort what is going on here? Shouldn't the decoding all be happening in hardware now between the HDhomerun EXTEND and the NVIDIA card?  I see that the Processing Plan in the ffmpeg log still says False for all CanDoInHardware lines does that mean the card is not working correctly?

I have attached logs for more details.

hardware_detection-63724218955.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-0194bed2-a9ad-4aac-b654-03b1a909ac4e_1.txt

embyserver.txt

ebr

Hi.  All that is happening in that playback is it is being re-packaged into a container the device can handle (stats for nerds or the server dashboard should have indicated this).  The Roku cannot take the stream straight as it is.

This should take very little resources on your server.

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Thank you ebr.  I will try stats for nerds going forward but it sounds like you do not see a concern here so that is good.  Is there a way to have it avoid any interaction with ffmpeg like it does for the Android client or is it unavoidable with a Roku?

Luke

Thank you ebr.  I will try stats for nerds going forward but it sounds like you do not see a concern here so that is good.  Is there a way to have it avoid any interaction with ffmpeg like it does for the Android client or is it unavoidable with a Roku?

The general rule of thumb would be to play media that is already in a format that the device can direct play.

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Understood.  Thank you.