AMD Vs Nvidia

davedick

davedick

My Emby setup is currently running a 2700x with RX580. I'm thinking of putting the 580 to use on another machine and thus would get a new card for Emby

I see there is a patch that can remove the 2 transcodes limit on Nvidia, but what I'm trying to figure out is why most people like Nvidia over Amd for transcoding.

Is it because it can do more at the same time? Output quailty better compared to AMD?

Overall I'm thinking of getting either GTX 1660 super or RTX 2060 ( depending on the simultaneous transcodes difference) or RX5700

PenkethBoy

i dont think anybody has done any side by side tests of amd vs nvidia and posted results here on the forums

But as more people have nvidia cards and its been tested/used more - thats what people have tended to go with

Also i think the nvidia implementation is more mature as they have been doing it longer than amd

I'm sure the amd cards will produce good results but if you do get problems there will be less people to help etc

in my view the 2060 would be overkill for emby transcoding - unless you intend to do a lot of simultaneous transcodes - might be better to try and remove the need to transcode in the first place if thats possible.