Kodi - Subtitles not working on Nvidia Shield

DJIemby

DJIemby

I was wondering if anyone else who is using an Nvidia Shield is having problems with Subtitles showing on Movies when playing through Kodi app?

I have tried several other movies with subtitles and all are not working. It seems this is a recent thing as it used to work. The same movie/s work in Emby app and even on other media boxes in the home e.g Xiaomi Mi box.

I have tried installing the latest Emby Android TV Beta release (1.8.00) thinking it might update something to work but still the same.

Anything i can try as i have searched forums and doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else with embedded subtitles in their .mkv files.

On initial tests, it seems PGS subtitles work but SRT subtitles dont. They are both set to be on upon playback but Kodi is not showing SRT subtitles. I have checked when in playback and it states that the subtitle is on but no visual subtitles show on screen. I am on version 4.1.19 Emby for Kodi version.

Any help would be appreciated.

DJIemby

Hi Luke, no problem. I will play same file in Kodi and within the Emby App on the Shield and supply the 'embyserver.txt' file. Do i need to enable debug logging before i do the tests from with the Emby web gui?

You might as well. Just make sure to disable that when you're done. Thanks.

DJIemby

Hi Luke, please find my Emby Server log. 

Here is what i tried on the Nvidia Shield:

(1) Played 'Ip Man 1' on Emby App. Result: Video & Audio Played as it should with English subtitles showing

(2) Played 'Ip Man 4' on Emby App. Result: Video & Audio Played as it should with English subtitles showing

(3) Played 'Ip Man 1' through Kodi. Result: Video & Audio Played as it should but English subtitles were not showing. I paused playback and switched subtitles on as it was off. Kodi recognised that file had English subtitles and upon playback, subtitles showed.

(4) Played 'Ip Man 4' through Kodi. Result: Video & Audio Played as it should but English subtitles were not showing. I paused playback and switched subtitles on as it was off. Kodi recognised that file had English subtitles but upon playback it still did not show.

Hope you can help and suggest a workaround.

embyserver.txt

Edited by DJIemby

• 2 weeks later...
ulrick65

I am having this same issue.  External subtitle in SRT format don't play in Kodi using the Add In.  I have an Nvidia Shield as well.  Embedded subtitles play fine and it seems that if both embedded and external exist, I can switch between them sometimes and the external wiil play.  However, when there is just external...they don't show.

They play fine on the Emby Web App.  Also, they do "show up" in Kodi as being there and selected when I go to the subtitles selections, they just do not play.

Any update on this issue?  Anything I can do to send logs to help or identify it?

Thanks.

CHA0SENG7NE

Hi

Glad I found this thread.

Im struggling with the same issue,

I have SRT subtitles and 50% of the time they dont display when enabled.

The only workaround as mentioned is to download another subtitle within Kodi and then switch back???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 6:15 AM, DJIemby said:

Hi Like, any updates on this?

We are looking into it, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
quickmic

Can you please attach a not working srt file, thanks.

...and what is your configuration?

Looks, you are not using transcoding, correct?

Are you using nativ pathes or addon-mode for emby-kodi. Looks as addon-mode, correct?

And can you please send me another log in debug mode. Looks you have enabled debug for kodi, but not under emby-kodi-settings. Leave kodi-log regular, and debug just for emby-kodi under emby-kodi-settings -> Advanced.

Edited by quickmic

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem with .srt files in Kodi when using Emby for Kodi, sometimes they play, most of the times not. They always work in Emby Web Player.

A reboot sometimes solves it but now always. 

I'm running the latest Coreelec version and Emby Server Beta 4.5.0.30.

What logs would you prefer?

11 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Kodi.log, but please reboot kodi first and then just trigger the issue. Seems the kodi.log is quite big.

Rebooted and of course it's working now. Seems to stop working after a while though. I'll get the log once I see the problem again, thanks!

quickmic

ok, thanks. If the issue appears, please copy the file immediately out from your box a write a memo, which video/filename it was.

6 minutes ago, quickmic said:

ok, thanks. If the issue appears, please copy the file immediately out from your box a write a memo, which video/filename it was.

Will do!

ulrick65

Having the same issue.  Kodi on Nvidia shield.  Just started a movie and no subs in Kodi.  Worked fine on my computer from the web player in Emby.  Tried to save the Kodi file, but it was too big.  Rebooted...works fine now!  I have the same result as @e2zippo with a reboot fixing it "sometimes" but no always.

If I can get it to happen again, I will try to save the log file...but the Kodi File Upload add in is limited to 1MB files.

Thanks.