XBOX 360 connects to WMC but EMBY won't log in automatically

Ronstang

Ronstang

Last month when I was testing my new home network setup and my XBOX 360s as media extenders EMBY worked correctly on all my XBOXs.  Friday night I wanted to lay in bed and watch a movie on EMBY but my XBOX 360 hit the profile login screen of EMBY and with no keyboard it is impossible to log in.

I went to my HTPC and found that EMBY no longer logged me in automatically so I changed my password and reset everything and now it automatically logs me in on the HTPC , but it still won't auto log in on any of my 3 XBOX 360s......this essentially renders EMBY completely useless for me.  I upgraded the server to the latest BETA last night and once again, it auto logs in on the HTPC but not on any of the XBOX 360s.

I'm sure there has to be a simple fix for this but I don't know where to look anymore.  I've searched the forums but didn't find anything directly related to my problem so any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated......I have a 2000 movie library I can't watch !!

Thank you in advance.....Ron

Hi there, what version of Emby Server and what version of Emby for WMC are you using?

Ronstang

The server is 4.5.0.9 and the WMC app is 3.0.317.0

There is a new wrinkle.  The current server will not play any of my movies. They are all MKV,,,MP4 compression.  They all played fine two days ago before I upgraded to the new BETA of the server trying to fix the problem with the XBOX not auto logging into EMBY.

Edited by Ronstang

Ronstang

I exited the server and restarted it and now my movies play but I still cannot log into EMBY from an XBOX

Exactly what happens when you try?  What version of Windows are you using?

Ronstang

My server is on a Windows 8.1 machine. What happens is the XBOX will go to WMC and play Live TV or Recorded TV fine but when I try to go into EMBY the login screen appears saying no public profiles found and it has the places at the bottom for username and password log in but it is impossible to do so on an XBOX with no keyboard so EMBY is useless.  A month ago when I got the home network wired and up and running I tested EMBY on my XBOXs and it worked perfectly, it auto logged in just like I had it set to do so on my server machine.  Something changed and I updated no software, unless there is an auto update feature that did so for me.

You cannot focus the field, select it and get an on-screen keyboard?

Ronstang

How, I tried, I don't know exactly how to do that and if I have to sign in each time I turn an XBOX on then EMBY is completely useless to me.....it worked fine and auto logged in a month ago

Ronstang

I just tried again, I  can use the joystick to navigate from the username filed to the password field to the login button, but there are no buttons that bring up a virtual keyboard, which would be annoying anyway.  

How did auto log in just stop working when I never updated the server software and the software for the WMC plug in is old and hasn't had a new version in years?

Sorry it is really hard to know exactly what changed.  Perhaps Windows 8 had an update?

It has been so long since I've dealt with anyone using an extender I really don't know if they ever supported an OSK but I would assume they did/do...

Ronstang

Well, it worked perfectly fine a month ago so it obviously supports an OSK, what ever that is.....and windows hasn't updated because I have updates turned off because I have the machine working 24/7 right now to compress movies....so the problem is in EMBY as it is the only thing that doesn't work.  WMC works fine on the XBOXs, I was watching TV on one earlier.

We're very sorry but this technology has been dropped by Microsoft so it is difficult for us to troubleshoot.

When you use an extender, you are really just creating an RDP session on your Windows box with a hidden user.  The capabilities of that session are limited but I'm very surprised there is no way to have an on screen keyboard.

You say you don't see any users when you try to log in.  Did you hide all your users on the local network?  Do you really need to do that?  Can you try making at least one of them visible and seeing if you can log in that way?

Ronstang

I'm not sure what you mean by hiding my users.  I'm the only user and I have EMBY set to auto log in on my HTPC.   When I discovered my XBOXs would not auto log in I went to my HTPC and it would not either.  I changed the password and after I connected I set it to auto log in once again and it works now but my XBOXs still will not auto log in.  I assume since the XBOX is an extender it any thing I set EMBY to do on the HTPC the XBOX would mimic since it is just connecting......except it does not auto log in any more and I don't know why.  

jachin99

Can you get into the mcx userdata folder and see if there is a config file for emby that the username uand password might be stored in?

Look at the User configuration in your Emby server dashboard.  It sounds like maybe you accidentally checked the "Hide this user from login screens" option...

Ronstang

OK, that seems to at least get me to a log in screen with my username but it asks for a PIN and there is a button for virtual keyboard.  The problem is I don't remember setting up a PIN nor do I know where to find it if I have one.

The same place you just were to turn the visibility back on.  EMC calls it a PIN but it is just asking for your normal password for the user - but, for the purposes of EMC, you should just use numbers.

Ronstang

I tried both my current password and my previous one and neither worked.  WMC reported invalid password....but it's the exact password I used to log into EMBY on my HTPC.  It's not numbers but it works perfectly on the HTPC

• Like 1

If it isn't numbers, how did you enter it on the Xbox?

Please try creating a 4-digit numeric PIN (you can do this and still keep your other password) and see if that works.

Ronstang

OK, I finally fixed it.  I just had to change the password once again and it connects now.  Thank you