MBC Freezes When Playing Music Album, Genre Folders

gochiefs88842
Go to solution Solved by gochiefs88842,

Cheesegeezer

I do have the path you are referencing (see screenshot), I just wasn't sure previously what cache directory I should grab screenshots from.  My subsequent cache screenshots (post #21 and this post) were from MBS and now MBC.

In the Cache folder in that screen shot do you have localcache.db in there?

try deleting it, it will repopulate on next run.

gochiefs88842

Deleted the localcache.db file and re-ran MBC, no joy.

Any chance that CoverArt should be uninstalled to see if the play context menu reappears?

gochiefs88842

Ok.  For what it's worth, I just tried to push "play" on a tv show season folder (again, I've never seen it, but I'm assuming some sort of play context menu also appears, maybe saying something like "play all episodes") and it also freezes.  And similarly, I can click on a season, enter the folder, and select and play an individual episode without issue.

Edited by gochiefs88842

Cheesegeezer

Ok.  For what it's worth, I just tried to push "play" on a tv show season folder (again, I've never seen it, but I'm assuming some sort of play context menu also appears, maybe saying something like "play all episodes") and it also freezes.  And similarly, I can click on a season, enter the folder, and select and play an individual episode without issue.

I'm afraid we are at that stage where I would suggest doing a full uninstall of MBC and reinstall.

You wont lose anything on your server, you'll just lose a few settings on MBC which can easily be done.

Once uninstalled, delete the Mediabrowser-Classic folder in ProgramData to ensure there is nothing left and try again.

Sorry we can't be more help..... it's a real odd one you got there.

Cheesegeezer

One thing we never asked was what version of MBC and MBS are you running

gochiefs88842

I appreciate all of your efforts. I have been getting all of this info remotely ;) but I will do a re-install when I get home and keep you posted.

To answer your question, it appears I am running MBS 3.0.5289.18702  and MBC 3.0.187.0 6-20.1

One additional question: The MB2-type folder that you previously referred to within Program Data--is that a remnant of my old MB and should it be deleted now that the server has been set up?  It appears that it is 2.99 GB on my hard drive, while the MediaBrowser-Classic folder in the same Program Data folder is 1.18 GB.   

Cheesegeezer

As long as there is nothing that you want from the old MB folder feel free to delete it.  It's not used at all anymore.

You're running the latest Beta's so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm gonna test mine Remotely from Baku to UK..... it might actually be a remote issue.  let me see

Cheesegeezer

Ok so I can confirm also it's not the Remote thing.  Xenon and Chocolate both popup up the play context menu's.

gochiefs88842

Performed an uninstall of MBC and deleted the Program Data folder.  Reinstalled, same issue.  

Tested out MBT to see if same issue would arise and, assuming yet again that a similar functionality exists in MBT, I also cannot pull up a play context menu on music albums or tv season folders in MBT.

Also installed MBC on my ancient laptop and the play context menu appears.  Thus, this issue is exclusive to my HTPC (which houses MBS) running MBC for my television...

As a workaround, I did create custom sequences in the Harmony One software which will pull up the play context menu and either "play all" or "shuffle play," but these frankly seem counterintuitive/clunky and they still won't prevent my MBC from freezing/crashing every time that a user inadvertently (and logically) presses play on a folder.  Super, super frustrated and have no idea how to fix this the proper way.  :(

I'm starting to think maybe my original line of questioning was on the right path.  1152x648 is an odd resolution.  What type of display is it?  Do you have any more "normal" options (like 1280x720)?  How do you have the display defined in WMC setup?

Cheesegeezer

I tested on my laptop which is 1366 x 768.

Have you tried it windowed rather than full screen.

• Solution
gochiefs88842

Good morning guys,

Okay, now we're cooking with gas on the resolution theory.  The play context menu DOES show up when windowed.  

Background info:

- TV is a Sony KDF-42E2000 (nearly 8 years old...) with advertised 1280 x 720 resolution.

- Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel insists that 1152 x 648 is the optimal resolution.  

- I just (remotely) configured both the Intel Graphics settings + WMC's TV setup to force a 1280 x 720 resolution.  

This did not solve the problem.  However, at least we're gaining some traction; it is now apparent that the "freeze" behavior can be negated by switching to windowed mode (and then the play context menu is visible).  Still not sure where to go moving forward, but hopefully you can help with that!

Okay, that's a rear-projection LCD.  How did you define it to WMC when it asks you what type of TV it is?  TV, Flat Panel, Projector?

Whatever it was, try changing that definition.

gochiefs88842

Sorry for the delayed response, had to try changing the definition under TV settings from TV, Flat Panel, Projector and even Monitor.  Tried with both 1280 X 720 and 1152 X 648 resolutions.  No fix.  I have zero knowledge about programming, but is MBC scalable to all resolutions (including weird ones like 1152 x 648), or mainly the more traditional ones? 

CWNashvegas

Sorry for the delayed response, had to try changing the definition under TV settings from TV, Flat Panel, Projector and even Monitor.  Tried with both 1280 X 720 and 1152 X 648 resolutions.  No fix.  I have zero knowledge about programming, but is MBC scalable to all resolutions (including weird ones like 1152 x 648), or mainly the more traditional ones? 

Is there an option for you to try 1366x768?

gochiefs88842

Tried that, as well.  No dice, also made display proportions outside of WMC crazy out of whack.  

I recognize my TV's a little outdated, but I'm curious why (1) WMC/Windows/Intel insist that my resolution is 1152 x 648 (even though Sony's site says that the resolution is 1280 X 720) and (2) if this means I will not have a clearer understanding until I have a different TV hooked up?  I have an Xbox 360 as an extender; if the play context menu pulls up on that extender + TV (much newer), would that confirm that the issue is with my HTPC TV resolution?   

This resolution stuff is at the WMC level.  The display engine for WMC tries to be intelligent about scaling things to display on all different types of monitors but, with some resolutions, it gets confused and simply refuses to display.  This appears to be what is happening with your setup.  Everything we lay out in MBC is laid out as if the resolution were 1280 x 720 and then the underlying graphics routines in WMC scale that to whatever the real resolution is.

Sometimes we get into trouble with 4:3 displays because the elements we are trying to display are wider than the available actual resolution but this shouldn't be the case here because we aren't even specifying a size to display that menu.  We are just letting WMC lay it out at whatever size the screen actually is.

Have you modified either the OverScanPadding or OverScanScaling values in the config?

Oh, also, in the Chocolate General tab, have you selected any of the 4:3 specific settings?  If so, try de-selecting them.  If not, try selecting them...

gochiefs88842

Good morning ebr,

Well, I have a 16:9 TV (even though it appears Sony's "PC Input Mode" scales down the resolution slightly), nevertheless I still tried toggling the 4:3 buttons to "on" as you suggested.  Unfortunately no success.  

As to the OverScanPadding/OverScanScaling values, I've never the modified the registry.  I did search the issue and found this post  and I will explore that later today.  I do recall that one of the many resolution settings I applied did actually allow for the play context menu to be visible, but I reversed it when I recognized how thick the new "blue borders" really were.  

Additionally, I tested MBC on my Xbox 360 extender to check whether the issue was exclusive to my server + TV and that is definitely the case: the Xbox 360 play context menu showed up with no issues.  However, I now recall that there was an extremely thick "blue border" on the 360's MBC interface, so the aforementioned post may be helpful there, too.  As a novice, I'm always reluctant to tinker with registry settings, but it may be worth a shot here.

Thanks again for your continued help and I'll update the thread with any progress.

Edited by gochiefs88842

Before modifying the registry, just use the controls inside MBC for over/under scan.  They are on the Advanced tab of config.

Set your resolution to the one that worked but had the blue border, then use the controls in that tab to eliminate the border.

gochiefs88842

Turns out my memory failed re: trying to force a 1280 x 720 previously; it worked with a "blue border" in WMC/MBC, but the Windows desktop was too far off the mark to make over/underscan adjustments worth the effort.  

I think this ultimately boils down to relying on my custom Harmony command to pull up the play context menu and biding my time until I can afford a more up-to-date TV.

I am having some unrelated issues with port forwarding and being able to view MBS remotely, so I suppose I will turn my attention towards resolving that now :(

Nevertheless, thanks for all the efforts, particularly to ebr and Cheesegeezer, you guys have been great.