How to Best Use a 500GB SSD

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

I have an extra 500GB SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) that I'd like to make use of in my Emby server.  I'd like to utilize it to improve my Emby speed/response times.

I travel a bunch for my work, and my Amazon Fire always comes with me so I can watch from whatever hotel I'm in.  Hotel downloads aren't exactly great, so I usually have to lower the bitrates, so it requires encoding.

At home content is played on a variety of Amazon Fire devices, as well as desktops, laptops, tablets and phones.  My In-Laws also connect and stream from their house using PS4 and Amazon devices.  I typically have 3, sometimes 4 streams going at any time.  The Fire Cube at home for some reason loses audio sync so we'd have to drop the bitrate on it.  So there are typically 1-2 streams that require transcoding.

I am running a i7-7700k with 32GB of RAM running Windows 10 Pro.  OS (and Emby) is installed on a 240GB SSD.  I also have a SQL Server running that I use for work, it always on, but I only really hit it hard for 30-40min a day at most.

System have a Gbit Lan, and I use Google Wifi for Wireless and I have CAT6 run throughout the house.

I have a fairly large collection (so much so that the author of Media Center Master refunded my lifetime license and said he can't support a library my size).

To give you an idea, I have approx 2,500 movies, and over 15,000 tv episodes, and another 4,000 anime episodes

Roughly 1/4 is 4k content with a mix of H264, H265, AVC and a variety of audio from AAC and ACS to DTS 7.1 and Atmos.

I've read about using a SSD to cache, and as a transcoding drive.  Should I partition it and have a separate cache and transcode drives?  Is 450GB enough as a transcode drive?  How do I actually go about setting them up in Emby server?  Is there anything else I could use to speed things along?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Spaceboy

Decent size library but not that big. Surprised MCM gave up so soon.

I have a optane disk for my os, use a ssd as a transcoding temp drive and have an nvme disk as the landing zone for my drive pool. The first really speeds up everything in emby, pages loading, but nothing to configure. The second speeds up live tv start times, configured in emby by placing transcoding locations in that disk. The third speeds up writing to my drive pool and is cleared nightly, this is configured in the drive pool software

Dizzy49

Decent size library but not that big. Surprised MCM gave up so soon.

I have a optane disk for my os, use a ssd as a transcoding temp drive and have an nvme disk as the landing zone for my drive pool. The first really speeds up everything in emby, pages loading, but nothing to configure. The second speeds up live tv start times, configured in emby by placing transcoding locations in that disk. The third speeds up writing to my drive pool and is cleared nightly, this is configured in the drive pool software

What drive pool software do you use?  I use StableBit DrivePool

Spaceboy

What drive pool software do you use? I use StableBit DrivePool

drive bender. I understand SB drive pool is more popular but they seem much of a muchness to me
  • Like 1