Emby prevents QNAP NAS to go into the standby mode

tmysik

tmysik

I tried to find any relevant thread here and found just this one but it does not seem the proper one. Emby apparently prevents my QNAP NAS going into the snadby mode. How can I know so exactly? Because of another problem (with failed startup of Emby), I can confirm that if Emby does not start (like today, in my case), my QNAP goes after a while into the standby mode. However, once Emby is started and running, no standby mode is invoked, ever.

Please, let me know how can I help to find out what exactly causes this situation - here is a related QNAP's FAQ, could anything from the list be done by Emby? BTW I am totally OK if this situation is on purpose, just wanted to report it in case this is an error.

Thank you.

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when you expected it to go into standby?

tmysik

I am not sure when exactly the NAS should go into the standby mode, will try to find it somewhere (maybe after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity?).

And I am not sure what exact Emby logs you expect - as I wrote, when Emby is not started due to the startup error, the NAS will go into the standby mode; otherwise, it does not so it _must_ be caused by something Emby is doing.

tmysik

Here are all the logs with date 2020/05/03. Looking into it, maybe it could be UPnP?  I don't know...

Also, please note that I have 3 RPis with the Emby plugin (so maybe those 3 devices do sync continuously and that means that NAS cannot go into the standby mode?).

And, as I already wrote, my NAS turns off every day at 0:05 AM and starts automatically at 5:55 AM. Not sure if it can be related or not, writing it here just to have the complete picture.

Thank you.

embyserver-63724082446.txt

embyserver-63724091949.txt

embyserver-63724147200.txt

hardware_detection-63724092017.txt

Edited by tmysik

tmysik

I don't know when exactly - maybe 10 or 15 minutes? However, I will try to find out what exactly is preventing the standby mode, see [1]. My guess is UPnP or my RPi devices with Kodi and Emby plugin (as I wrote, with Emby turned off, it works).

Thanks.

[1] https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/faq/article/why-are-my-nas-drives-not-entering-standby-mode/

That would be great, thanks. As far as a server log goes, ideally you'd find a time that you expected the nas to go into standby but it did not, and then attach the complete emby server log that includes that time of day. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
tmysik

Hi, sorry for the delay. Just a few notes :

- going into the standby mode was prevented by DLNA and/or Port Mapper plugins (once I removed them, my QNAP went into snadby mode); however

- once my QNAP woke up again, Emby was not running; I had to stop it and start it again via the QNAP Apps console

So, I enabled DLNA and Port Mapper plugins again :)

PS: Yes, I know that I should have checked the Emby log once my QNAP woke up, sorry :) Will do once I get back to it.

• 3 weeks later...
tmysik

Just happened to me yesterday again (note: plugins DLNA and PortMapper NOT installed). At ~8.15 pm, my QNAP woke up since I started Emby on my phone. Emby was a looong time loading the application (I guess it was waiting for the Emby server startup; it ended with a "welcome" screen where one can log in, connect, etc.). So, I stopped Emby server in QNAP Apps and started it again. Once Emby server started after a while, everything was OK again.

Attaching Emby server logs from that time (however, no obvious problem found; maybe I was not patient enough?).

Thank you.

embyserver-63729936000.txt hardware_detection-63729922630.txt

tmysik

Exactly what I wrote there:

At ~8.15 pm, my QNAP woke up since I started Emby on my phone. Emby was a looong time loading the application (I guess it was waiting for the Emby server startup; it ended with a "welcome" screen where one can log in, connect, etc.). So, I stopped Emby server in QNAP Apps and started it again. Once Emby server started after a while, everything was OK again.

In other words - my QNAP was in the standby mode, I woke it up but was not able to connect to the Emby server.

tmysik

Yes but as I wrote above, the cause of that was the 2 plugins (or maybe just one of them, did not investigate it more). And I am not really sure but I think that the standby mode happens sometimes (not often) even if those 2 plugins are installed (but I am really not sure now, maybe this can be verified in the attached logs).

Thanks!

Ok thanks for the feedback. That was probably Dlna, which could have been caused by devices on your network communicating with the dlna server.

tmysik

OK. So, just to summarize:

- some of the 2 or both plugins prevent NAS going into the standby mode

- once those plugins are removed, the standby mode works; however

- once NAS is woken up, Emby does not work (no client can connect to it); I have to stop Emby and start it again in the NAS Apps, than it works again

So, currently no standby mode for me, it means that both plugins are installed in my Emby server.

Thank you.

once NAS is woken up, Emby does not work (no client can connect to it); 

Are you sure the NAS has re-established it's network connection?

tmysik

I am because everything else is working. I am able to connect to it (via its Android app) and restart the Emby server. This worked "before Emby" without a single issue (I have Samba server there, http server, etc.).

tmysik

You mean after NAS wakes up, right? Did not try it recently since the Android app is OK for most of the tasks I need but if definitely worked. Before Emby, my NAS went into the standby mode several times a day and I did not use the Android app yet... will try to test it but I would be really surprised (I think that the Android app uses some http api anyway).

• 1 month later...