Remote Connection Help

rayrayvenom

Finally got this working. Could not get the port 8096 to work. If you are having issues try downloading plex and see if remote connection works and if it does use the public port from that. And close out plex from running in the background.

I'm confused.  How did Plex help you? Was it just your use of a high port number such as 32400?

Plex itself will almost always work remotely because they setup a tunnel from your local server to their cloud server if you are gnat or similar with either 1Mb or 2Mb tunnel (depends if you are paying) which almost always causes the server to transcode.

Might need a note in the Connectivity wiki.

Yea good idea, @@cayars can add that. Thanks.

What exactly would we be adding?  You guys referring to the fact that the ISP may block incoming ports to the users local network?  If so I was already thinking of this along with ways around it using some public VPN services you can get a static IP/port from.  This way the Emby Server has a FAST tunnel to the outside would and you just use the VPN IP address.  You could then use a domain or subdomain pointed at it for something custom or just use the IP address or Emby Connect.

• 2 weeks later...
Octavo

I tried everything but my Emby server just won't connect to devices outside my local network. This is really frustrating!!!

I tried everything but my Emby server just won't connect to devices outside my local network. This is really frustrating!!!

Hi there, i would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

• Like 1

Yes, just let us know at what point in the trouble shooting info things stop and we can help you.

Octavo

Okay, so I have forwarded 8096 port on my router. But canyouseeme.org cannot see the port, it says Connection Timed Out. And the IP address shown in Emby Server Dashboard and canyouseeme is different in last 3 digits.

Still unable to connect remotely.

the IP address shown in Emby Server Dashboard and canyouseeme is different in last 3 digits.

That's a problem.

What EXTERNAL/WAN IP does your router say?

What IP does https://www.whatismyip.com/ say you have?

Feel free to just say XXX. for the first set of numbers but let us know if they are different.  We might need to take this private but for now let's continue in the normal public forum in case it helps someone else later as well.

Carlo

grimleaper1709

Moved from PLEX to EMBY about a month ago and have been over the moon about the Quality of the player, the in network apps (Win, Android and embyConnect for kodi) and the ability to manage meta data.

Bought Emby Premiere within one day and cancelled Plex Pass same day.

Seems I may have been premature in stopping my PLEX Pass.

Remote access to my Emby Server is a no go.

With Plex I originally used DDNS.net to access the server, but stopped since my whole library were converted to HEVC mkv files which no browser supports.

Moved to port forwarding and the remote access ability of Plex and all was good (Had a fibre connection and static 10 class ip for Server)

Changed to a 5G modem/Router for the speed but also got Carrier Grade NAT with that, so non routable IP.

overcame that by installing ZeroTier on server and all remote clients (Phones, tablets etc) worked great.

Now switching to Emby , assumed everything would still be fine. The Server is still the same, the libraries are all the same, everything on the LAN works great but remote access through ZeroTier refuses.

Know this is not a ZeroTier issue as the Plex server which I fortunately didn't kill still works on the zeroTier tunnel to all the clients.

Emby for Android and EmbyCon refuses to connect even though for all intents and purposed it is now on a LAN via the ZeroTier tunnel

Is there something in the way Emby connects that would let it allow LAN clients to connect (same local subnet) but prevent it from allowing clients in the ZeroTier tunnel to connect? when Plex and Kodi are fine on that same Tunnel.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with secure connections and certificates.

Octavo

That's a problem.

What EXTERNAL/WAN IP does your router say?

What IP does https://www.whatismyip.com/ say you have?

Feel free to just say XXX. for the first set of numbers but let us know if they are different.  We might need to take this private but for now let's continue in the normal public forum in case it helps someone else later as well.

Carlo

The first three sets are same in the Emby Dashboard and whatismyip. But only the last three digits are different. 

Edited by Octavo

grimleaper1709

Moved from PLEX to EMBY about a month ago and have been over the moon about the Quality of the player, the in network apps (Win, Android and embyConnect for kodi) and the ability to manage meta data.

Bought Emby Premiere within one day and cancelled Plex Pass same day.

Seems I may have been premature in stopping my PLEX Pass.

Remote access to my Emby Server is a no go.

With Plex I originally used DDNS.net to access the server, but stopped since my whole library were converted to HEVC mkv files which no browser supports.

Moved to port forwarding and the remote access ability of Plex and all was good (Had a fibre connection and static 10 class ip for Server)

Changed to a 5G modem/Router for the speed but also got Carrier Grade NAT with that, so non routable IP.

overcame that by installing ZeroTier on server and all remote clients (Phones, tablets etc) worked great.

Now switching to Emby , assumed everything would still be fine. The Server is still the same, the libraries are all the same, everything on the LAN works great but remote access through ZeroTier refuses.

Know this is not a ZeroTier issue as the Plex server which I fortunately didn't kill still works on the zeroTier tunnel to all the clients.

Emby for Android and EmbyCon refuses to connect even though for all intents and purposed it is now on a LAN via the ZeroTier tunnel

Is there something in the way Emby connects that would let it allow LAN clients to connect (same local subnet) but prevent it from allowing clients in the ZeroTier tunnel to connect? when Plex and Kodi are fine on that same Tunnel.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with secure connections and certificates.

Even tried using my PLEX ports as obviously they are forwarded correctly. (32400 internal and 19732 external) Emby works locally on 32400, no luck remotely.

The first three sets are same in the Emby Dashboard and whatismyip. But only the last three digits are different. 

And the specific IPs from both sources are what?  Substitute XXX for the first set.

Even tried using my PLEX ports as obviously they are forwarded correctly. (32400 internal and 19732 external) Emby works locally on 32400, no luck remotely.

You can't use the Plex ports as this won't help you.  Plex run through a tunnel and Emby does not.

ZeroTier with Plex get's you around the GNAT.  You should be able to work around this on Emby as well.  I've never used ZeroTier myself but have many other VPNs so I can likely help you privately to figure this out.

PM for info on a remote session.  Do me a favor when you PM, link back to this thread.

Carlo

grimleaper1709

You can't use the Plex ports as this won't help you.  Plex run through a tunnel and Emby does not.

ZeroTier with Plex get's you around the GNAT.  You should be able to work around this on Emby as well.  I've never used ZeroTier myself but have many other VPNs so I can likely help you privately to figure this out.

PM for info on a remote session.  Do me a favor when you PM, link back to this thread.

Carlo

Thanks Carlo that would be great! How do I PM you?

Octavo

And the specific IPs from both sources are what?  Substitute XXX for the first set.

On Emby Dashboard: XXX.87.214.162

On whatismyip: XXX.87.214.165

Thanks Carlo that would be great! How do I PM you?

Hover over my name and you should see "send message".

On Emby Dashboard: XXX.87.214.162

On whatismyip: XXX.87.214.165

Could you humor me and try something?

Reboot your router and after it restarts, restart Emby server.

Let me know if you have the same IPs or new ones.  If new show me them like above.

rayrayvenom

I'm confused.  How did Plex help you? Was it just your use of a high port number such as 32400?

Plex itself will almost always work remotely because they setup a tunnel from your local server to their cloud server if you are gnat or similar with either 1Mb or 2Mb tunnel (depends if you are paying) which almost always causes the server to transcode.

I had a lot of issues trying to open up a port on the pc. Even had my IT friend try with no success. Plex helped me because whatever way they opened up a port on the pc. That same port number I used to get emby working remotely. There were 2 port numbers that it opened up and I think the public port was the one that worked. This was the only success I had.

That to me says the port wasn't being forwarded correctly manually and Plex did a port forward from the router to the PC.  Emby can do this as well if you enable the feature UPNP.  However you got it to work, you just made use of ports that had been previously opened so this will work.

This isn't method I'd personally recommend however as it's easier to just setup the ports manually via port forwarding in the router.

Octavo

Could you humor me and try something?

Reboot your router and after it restarts, restart Emby server.

Let me know if you have the same IPs or new ones.  If new show me them like above.

Okay, so I restarted router and Emby server both. Now the IP addresses are as below:

Emby Server: XXX.87.214.162

whatismyip: XXX.87.214.167

OK try something for me.

From web admin click on NETWORK on left menu then scroll down to the field called "External domain"

Now type in xxx.87.214.167 of course using the real IP address vs the XXX.

After doing this please try canyouseeme website again to see if it can find your Emby Server.

Let us know how this works.

Octavo

OK try something for me.

From web admin click on NETWORK on left menu then scroll down to the field called "External domain"

Now type in xxx.87.214.167 of course using the real IP address vs the XXX.

After doing this please try canyouseeme website again to see if it can find your Emby Server.

Let us know how this works.

canyouseeme shows my IP as: XXX.87.214.164 and just shows the error that connection has been timed out.

canyouseeme shows my IP as: XXX.87.214.164 and just shows the error that connection has been timed out.

So previously you had

Now you see 164?

What IP address does your router show for it's wan connection?

Octavo

So previously you had

Now you see 164?

What IP address does your router show for it's wan connection?

Here's the thing:

Emby Server IP: XXX.87.214.162

whatismyip: XXX.87.214.165

canyouseeme: XXX.87.214.164

I do not a lot about these things, where can I see the IP address for wan connection?

This looks like carrier grade network address translation.  Basically the ISP is using the same set of IP addresses spread out among a lot of people.

They give you a bogus IP address that doesn't exist in the real work and constantly assign each new network request a port/IP combination in their carrier grade equipment.  This allows them to serve many customers with just a few real IP addresses.

There are only a couple of ways around this.  First is to see if you can get a static IP address from your ISP.  Usually this costs a decent amount and may cause you to have to switch to a commercial account vs home account. The second method is to subscribe to a public VPN service that offers a static IP/port combination.  There are many VPN service that will assign you a specific port on one public IP that they have for incoming communication.  You can then run your Emby Server behind the VPN and map the IP and port.  This bypasses the carrier grade NAT as you have a tunnel right throw it.  Unfortunately this is becoming more common each day as more and more ISP as switching to either blocking incoming ports or moving to carrier grade NAT.

Here is a bit more information on this.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/vpn-dedicated-ip-static-ip/

https://proprivacy.com/vpn/comparison/best-vpns-static-ips

https://nordvpn.com/features/dedicated-ip/

Octavo

Okay, I have some questions:

1. How does Plex connect remotely to my server without even doing any port forwarding or anything? Couldn't Emby do something like that?

2. Can I run Emby server from a Virtual Machine?

Edited by Octavo