Movie extras not showing up

kaledi
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

kaledi

Hello - I've started to put movie extras into an 'extras' folder within the main movie folder e.g.

Movies > ABCDEF > AMOVIE (2019) > Extras

However, even after a library rescan these are not showing up for the vast majority of movies.

pwhodges

This is known, and has been fixed in the beta for the next release: see here.

Paul

Happy2Play

Is your issue with only multi-version items?

• 3 weeks later...
JBEmby

I'll chime in, I'm having this issue as well. Extras show up for movies with only one version, but as soon as I add other versions the extras disappear and any animated backdrops and trailers seem to not get detected.

• 1 month later...

Extras are not showing up for me, even when there is only one version of the movie.

I think the problem is that I have other subfolders within the movie folder, e.g. I often have a folder for my .avs conversion scripts or .txt notes. If I add a .ignore to that subfolder, Emby then is suddenly able to see the extras in the other folders.

Even the existence of an empty folder, without a .ignore in it, is sufficient to result in Emby ignoring the extras, featurettes, interviews, etc. folders at the same level.

Is this fixed in the beta?

[edit:] Still, trailers don't show up at all. If the filename has (ends with?) " trailer" (e.g. in an "extras" folder) or if the file is located in a trailers folder, then it doesn't show up at all. Are trailers only supported via the trailers plugin? If so, this is not at all clear in the wiki. I want to go to the movie page and see the trailers, and choose to watch them if I want. Is that not an option?

Edited by Fweep

@Fweep Can you give us a few pics of a problematic movie folder structure like you describe?

No if you follow the knowledge base naming for trailers they should be showing up and used in the movie detail screen.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, cayars said:

@Fweep Can you give us a few pics of a problematic movie folder structure like you describe?

No if you follow the knowledge base naming for trailers they should be showing up and used in the movie detail screen.

The KB says to put trailers in a trailers folder, or use the movie folder and name it the same as the movie followed by -trailer. That naming scheme is not good for movies which have more than one trailer, or which come with trailers for other movies and video games. These are my own DVD rips and each movie typically comes with one or more trailers for the movie itself, along with a few trailers for other movies. So I like to just put them all in an extras or trailers folder, with whatever filenames are appropriate.

Starting with the following directory structure:

E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story>dir /s
 Volume in drive E is Eldin Province (mirrored)
 Volume Serial Number is A646-A1AC

Directory of E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story

07/15/2020  05:14 AM    <DIR>          .
07/15/2020  05:14 AM    <DIR>          ..
07/15/2020  05:09 AM    <DIR>          conversion scripts
07/13/2020  04:26 AM    <DIR>          extras
07/13/2020  04:26 AM    <DIR>          interviews
07/12/2020  05:16 PM    <DIR>          trailers
07/13/2020  03:16 AM           152,050 West Side Story (1961)-clearlogo.png
07/13/2020  03:16 AM           289,846 West Side Story (1961)-fanart.jpg
07/15/2020  05:14 AM           561,953 West Side Story (1961)-landscape.jpg
07/13/2020  03:16 AM           207,232 West Side Story (1961)-poster.jpg
07/12/2020  05:13 PM     1,990,441,991 West Side Story (1961).mkv
07/15/2020  05:18 AM            10,247 West Side Story (1961).nfo
               6 File(s)  1,991,663,319 bytes

Directory of E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story\conversion scripts

07/15/2020  05:09 AM    <DIR>          .
07/15/2020  05:09 AM    <DIR>          ..
07/12/2020  07:06 AM               378 Fiddler on the Roof DVD - trailer.avs
07/12/2020  09:15 AM               389 MGM Means Great Movies - ad.avs
07/12/2020  07:04 AM               378 Some Like It Hot DVD - trailer.avs
07/12/2020  07:10 AM               378 The Last Waltz DVD - trailer.avs
07/12/2020  11:40 AM               167 West Side Story (1961).avs
07/12/2020  07:11 AM               378 West Side Story - storyboard & scene comparison.avs
07/12/2020  08:50 AM               167 West Side Story - trailer 1.avs
07/12/2020  09:03 AM               167 West Side Story - trailer 2.avs
07/12/2020  09:03 AM               167 West Side Story - trailer 3.avs
07/12/2020  09:10 AM               170 West Side Story - trailer 4.avs
07/12/2020  04:48 AM               378 West_Side_Memories.avs
              11 File(s)          3,117 bytes

Directory of E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story\extras

07/13/2020  04:26 AM    <DIR>          .
07/13/2020  04:26 AM    <DIR>          ..
07/12/2020  08:00 AM        38,803,974 West Side Story - storyboard & scene comparison.mkv
07/15/2020  05:12 AM             1,582 West Side Story - storyboard & scene comparison.nfo
               2 File(s)     38,805,556 bytes

Directory of E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story\interviews

07/13/2020  04:26 AM    <DIR>          .
07/13/2020  04:26 AM    <DIR>          ..
07/12/2020  10:48 AM       453,080,489 West Side Memories.mkv
07/13/2020  04:26 AM             1,552 West Side Memories.nfo
               2 File(s)    453,082,041 bytes

Directory of E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story\trailers

07/12/2020  05:16 PM    <DIR>          .
07/12/2020  05:16 PM    <DIR>          ..
07/12/2020  09:34 AM        17,274,324 Fiddler on the Roof DVD - trailer.mkv
07/12/2020  09:34 AM        12,654,524 MGM Means Great Movies - ad.mkv
07/12/2020  09:34 AM        12,238,575 Some Like It Hot DVD - trailer.mkv
07/12/2020  09:35 AM        15,575,688 The Last Waltz DVD - trailer.mkv
07/12/2020  11:00 AM        20,633,958 West Side Story - trailer 1.mkv
07/12/2020  11:00 AM        39,328,039 West Side Story - trailer 2.mkv
07/12/2020  11:00 AM        54,660,390 West Side Story - trailer 3.mkv
07/12/2020  11:07 AM        44,002,076 West Side Story - trailer 4.mkv
               8 File(s)    216,367,574 bytes

Total Files Listed:
              29 File(s)  2,699,921,607 bytes
              14 Dir(s)  1,648,580,767,744 bytes free

I then add the E:\video\movies\musicals folder to the library with the name Musicals and type Movies.

The result, because I did not put a .ignore in the conversion scripts folder, is that no extras are listed at all:

wss_noextras.jpg

Now let's add conversion scripts\.ignore:

E:\video\movies\musicals\[1961] West Side Story>copy NUL "conversion scripts\.ignore"

Wait a bit and voilà, we now have the content from the interviews & extras folders, but still no trailers:

wss_extras_notrailers.jpg

Before you shoot in the dark, no, it does not make a difference if the movie folder is renamed to West Side Story (1961) instead of [1961] West Side Story. It also does not matter what is in the additional folder; it needn't be AviSynth scripts; it can be an empty folder named foo and have the same result.

It also does not matter if I put the trailers in the extras folder; the other content in that folder will show, but not the trailers. And there is nothing odd about the trailer files themselves; I make them the same way as the movies.

My images are showing the web player on the server, but the result is the same via the Roku app, just instead of Extras it says Features.

Edited by Fweep
minor edits

You could just put a dot in front of  "conversion scripts" and make it ".conversion scripts".  The dot in the folder name will stop it from being scanned.  You really aren't following the naming convention with the date at the front nor does it help using different base names  across folders, but since they are in the properly named folders it shouldn't have mattered.

Could you rotate your log using the schedule task feature then do a refresh on just this movie and upload the server log?  There might be something in the log worth looking at.

When you click the trailer button is it playing your trailer or from the Internet?

Thanks,

Carlo

Edited by cayars

serpi

You DO have trailers or else the trailer button would not be there.

Trailers are not shown in the the extras section but are played on the trailers button.

If you want trailers in extras, put them in extras, not trailers.

Ciao, Alfred

@cayars / @serpi

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I will rename the superfluous folders with a leading dot instead of adding a .ignore file. Thanks for the tip.

Last I checked, the debug logs had nothing related to trailer detection in them.

For this movie, the Trailer button was always there; it previously loaded a YouTube video. In my testing over the past week, that's all I could ever get to happen, for some reason. But you're right, I tried it just now, and it plays all of the detected trailers in sequence. That's great; thanks.

Moving the files over to the extras folder does not result in them showing up as Extras, with one exception: the one file with no "trailer" in its name does show up.

So there are some notable differences between what the movie naming guide says and what Emby actually does. I did some more experimenting and figured out what is going on. Assuming this is all the intended behavior, it would be ideal if the Knowledge Base sections on trailers and movie/extras naming could include the following:

• Files are considered to be trailers if they are in a trailers folder, or the file name is the movie file name followed by -trailer, or the file name includes the word trailer preceded by a dash or space.
  • Trailers will not show as Extras or Features in the Emby player; they are only playable via the Trailer button, where they will play in sequence and cannot be individually selected.
  • If there are no trailers detected, the Trailer button may still appear, due to trailers designated in the movie metadata. Such trailers will not appear in Emby's metadata editor, but can be designated in NFO files.
  • In the movie folder, the presence of subfolders with unrecognized names may interfere with the detection of extras and trailers. Move or rename such folders to begin with a leading dot, or add a .ignore file to them.

I prefer the Trailer button only show me trailers for the movie itself. But I also want to see those trailers and any other trailers under Extras so I can individually play them. I think the simplest solution is to rename all of the trailers to begin with "trailer - " so they don't get detected as trailers. Just the movie trailers go in a trailers folder so they will be played with the Trailer button. The others go in the extras folder. I can then symlink or hardlink from the extras folder to the movie trailer files that I additionally want to show up under Extras:

/trailers:
trailer - West Side Story [1].mkv
trailer - West Side Story [2].mkv
trailer - West Side Story [3].mkv
trailer - West Side Story [4].mkv

/extras:
trailer - Fiddler on the Roof DVD.mkv
trailer - MGM Means Great Movies.mkv
trailer - Some Like It Hot DVD.mkv
trailer - The Last Waltz DVD.mkv
trailer - West Side Story [1].mkv -> ../trailers/trailer - West Side Story [1].mkv
trailer - West Side Story [2].mkv -> ../trailers/trailer - West Side Story [2].mkv
trailer - West Side Story [3].mkv -> ../trailers/trailer - West Side Story [3].mkv
trailer - West Side Story [4].mkv -> ../trailers/trailer - West Side Story [4].mkv

/interviews:
West Side Memories.mkv

Edited by Fweep
added final folder listing
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
pauljpowers

Hello,

This may have been addressed already. Not sure if there has been a "new release" since summer of 2020. But I am having this problem, as well. When there are multiple versions of the video, the Extras do not show. When there is only one version of the video, the extras appear. Is this still awaiting a fix in the "next release"? 

CharleyVarrick
On 7/13/2020 at 6:01 AM, Fweep said:

Extras are not showing up for me, even when there is only one version of the movie.

I think the problem is that I have other subfolders within the movie folder, e.g. I often have a folder for my .avs conversion scripts or .txt notes. If I add a .ignore to that subfolder, Emby then is suddenly able to see the extras in the other folders.

Even the existence of an empty folder, without a .ignore in it, is sufficient to result in Emby ignoring the extras, featurettes, interviews, etc. folders at the same level.

Is this fixed in the beta?

[edit:] Still, trailers don't show up at all. If the filename has (ends with?) " trailer" (e.g. in an "extras" folder) or if the file is located in a trailers folder, then it doesn't show up at all. Are trailers only supported via the trailers plugin? If so, this is not at all clear in the wiki. I want to go to the movie page and see the trailers, and choose to watch them if I want. Is that not an option?

Have you read the movie naming convention https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Specifically: image.png.dc47ba812fcd69303e130f30906bb5c1.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pauljpowers said:

Hello,

This may have been addressed already. Not sure if there has been a "new release" since summer of 2020. But I am having this problem, as well. When there are multiple versions of the video, the Extras do not show. When there is only one version of the video, the extras appear. Is this still awaiting a fix in the "next release"? 

Look for multi-version movies section on this page.. Emby Movie Naming : Emby if you notice it seems to show differently for a trailer, in this list.. May explain the oddness of how it is showing up.. They may be handled differently from normal.

pauljpowers

No, no. I'm not talking about just trailers.

For example, I have Back to the Future with a Featurettes subfolder. In the featurettes there are several behind the scenes videos, including trailers. These extras show up just fine like this. But now, I got the 4k video and placed it in the Back to the Future main folder. So now there are 2 Back to the Future movies: a 1080p version (which I want to keep because it has commentary tracks) and also a 2160p version for higher quality. 

As soon as I place the 2nd video (2160p version) in the main folder, the extras no longer appear in emby. I noticed this to be true (the extras no longer show up) for any movie I have that has more than one version in its main folder.

Is there a fix for this?

pauljpowers
On 5/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, Luke said:

It's resolved for the next release. Thanks.

Has this been resolved for multiple format videos yet? (sorry, I know it's an old thread. But I couldn't find a newer one.) I'm still having this issue for videos with multiple versions.

I would agree that support for multi-versions should include detection of the extra folders..

BUT what I am saying is that you can use the filenaming convention for all of the items in your featurettes folder.. that should trigger everything to show-up. Since it is a multi-version issue here then you have to change the folder/file structure to accomodate multi-versions differently from what you would expect normally.

roaku
1 hour ago, pauljpowers said:

Has this been resolved for multiple format videos yet? (sorry, I know it's an old thread. But I couldn't find a newer one.) I'm still having this issue for videos with multiple versions.

I have many multi version movies with extras, and have no issues with Emby detecting and displaying them.

Are you getting your movie groupings by putting them in the same directory or are you using the movie grouping plugin?

• Like 1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, pauljpowers said:

I have several Emby auto grouped multi-version movies on my Test system with extras and no issue.  Will have to circle back checking this on 4.5. 

But you may have to go over entire folder structure, content, and naming of a specific example.

pauljpowers

Thank you for everyone's responses. To answer one question, I am not using a grouping plugin (at least not that I'm aware of). I will check on renaming all my special features. In the meantime, is it possible in the future for Emby to make it so that the extras show up if they are in an Extras folder - regardless of naming and multi-versions of films. It would save a lot of time and headaches?

Happy2Play
41 minutes ago, pauljpowers said:

Thank you for everyone's responses. To answer one question, I am not using a grouping plugin (at least not that I'm aware of). I will check on renaming all my special features. In the meantime, is it possible in the future for Emby to make it so that the extras show up if they are in an Extras folder - regardless of naming and multi-versions of films. It would save a lot of time and headaches?

It already does this on all of my test cases.  Add a extras folder to any movie and the contents of that folder are presented as extras on that movie item page.  So if you are having issues then specific examples are needed.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, pauljpowers said:

Okay, how do I provide specific examples? Should I send a screenshot of the file structure?

Images are preferable, so we can see and test your specific example. 

• Like 1

pauljpowers

Okay, here are my folder structures for Back to the Future 3. I've also clicked on the video dropdown in the emby screen to show that it lists both versions. But as you can see no Extras are shown in Emby.

2061354650_BTTF3-emby.thumb.jpg.d474035ea44d55dcc31f1d5b47061303.jpg

BTTF3 - folder-featurettes.jpg

BTTF3 - folder-main.jpg