Samsung app throttling connection?

crusher11

crusher11

I have a remote user with a Samsung TV and the latest Tizen app.

Using iperf3 we were able to establish a speed of approximately 18Mbps between their computer and mine, which should be plenty for Emby purposes.

On the Samsung TV, the speed test included within the Netflix app returns a result of 36Mbps, which indicates the TV should be capable of taking advantage of the full 18Mbps speed.

On their PC, they can stream at 2.5Mbps with absolutely zero issues.

On the Samsung TV, even at 250kbps - which is unwatchable anyway - it pauses to buffer every few seconds for a considerable amount of time. This time increases gradually until it just completely freezes and won't play at all.

Since we've eliminated every possible cause except the Samsung Emby app itself...what's going on here?

maegibbons

Is the TV connected by wire or wireless?

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

CBers

@@crusher11 I can connect to my father-in-law's server on my Samsung (Orsay) TV using the ET app (v0.112) and it plays fine with the Internet Quality option set to AUTO. His server says it is Direct Streaming as well, with no ffmpeg logs created.

I know it's a different OS on the TV's, but it should work fine.

What ping response do you get between his PC and your PC and the other way round? Is it low and consistent?

crusher11

Is the TV connected by wire or wireless?

Krs

Mark

Wired.

crusher11

@@crusher11 I can connect to my father-in-law's server on my Samsung (Orsay) TV using the ET app (v0.112) and it plays fine with the Internet Quality option set to AUTO. His server says it is Direct Streaming as well, with no ffmpeg logs created.

I know it's a different OS on the TV's, but it should work fine.

What ping response do you get between his PC and your PC and the other way round? Is it low and consistent?

How do I test that?

FrostByte

What does latest version of the app mean?  Latest from the store, the latest beta version?  Even if it's from the store every model year is on a different version too.  Yesterday a brand new beta version became available.  An actual number always helps. 

I assume it's transcoding and not direct streaming if setting is at 256kbps? Are you transcoding 4K w/HD audio?  Mine will do the same even though my server is right next to my TV.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Sorry, somehow that got posted in the wrong thread.  I think I had another post opened in another tab

crusher11

The app is version 1.0.78, although this issue has been present on prior versions as well. It's been occurring ever since Emby was first installed on the TV.

rbjtech

Is the browser on the TV capable of running emby as a test ?  (Plug in a keyboard to set it up..)

If that works, then the issue is 100% with the Samsung App on that TV.

crusher11

Bizarrely, this problem appears to have been resolved by moving the server onto my NAS, although there's only one test to suggest that at this stage. We'll see.

crusher11

The TV's web browser apparently returns similar results.

But as I've said Netflix works fine on that TV, so it's not the TV itself or the ethernet connection to the TV. iperf3 showed plenty of bandwidth, so it's not ISP throttling.

It seems to work perfectly for 10 minutes or so, then start buffering for 30 seconds or so every minute, then for a minute every 30 seconds, then for two minutes every ten seconds, and so on.

crusher11

It's failing at well under 1Mbps on Emby while streaming HD Netflix just fine. That's not the issue.

CBers

It's failing at well under 1Mbps on Emby while streaming HD Netflix just fine. That's not the issue.

Are you and your user in the same country ?

Which country is it ?

crusher11

Yes, but why? iperf3 says they're getting 18Mbps from my PC to theirs. Their laptop can stream content from my server with zero issues.

CBers

Yes, but why? iperf3 says they're getting 18Mbps from my PC to theirs. Their laptop can stream content from my server with zero issues.

So you're not behind any country firewalls?

Where in the world are you, or do you use a VPN, as that might cause issues ?

crusher11

Isn't this whole line of questioning rendered moot by the successful laptop streaming? If the user can stream on a laptop, then nothing about the connection between the two of us can possibly be the issue, be it firewalls or VPNs or anything else.

CBers

Isn't this whole line of questioning rendered moot by the successful laptop streaming? If the user can stream on a laptop, then nothing about the connection between the two of us can possibly be the issue, be it firewalls or VPNs or anything else.

OK, so no more assistance is required from the community.

Shall I lock this thread and mark as solved ?

maegibbons

So it could just be the TV and not the emby app?

The only way to prove it is to spin up a LOCAL emby server to the TV and see if you get the same issues.

Krs

Mark