Feature Request: Option to add items to home screen.

justin_looking_glass

justin_looking_glass

My request is to be able to chose to add items to the home screen.  Specifically in my case, I am thinking of playlists and collections.  Here's some reasons I'd like to see this:

• The home screen is the first piece of the user interface a person will see when they pull up Emby.  
  • I often places movies in bulk into my media library.  This sometimes means people never see the new movie I've made available.  Happens a lot, actually.
  • While all movies are searchable or can be found by sorting, I believe the interface would benefit from having the customization option.
  • I have created a "Justin Recommends" collection and would LOVE to be able to put that on the home screen.
  • By keeping this optional, no one is forced to use it.  If you don't have a use-case, then it's just a feature.
  • If you look at things like Netflix, many movies and shows get "featured" and by doing that, a lot of people end up watching that wouldn't otherwise (imagine if The Tiger King was just another buried documentary you had to hunt for, no one would have heard of it).

I appreciate your time.  If you've considered this before and decided against for reasons other than difficulty implementing the feature, I'd ask you to reconsider.  I believe that being able to customize our servers helps us personalize and tailor them to our audience and our needs, and that helps promote a feeling of ownership.  I also truly believe that this small change could lead to some powerful results.  In my case, I know that it would be of huge benefit to accomplishing what I would like to do with my Emby server.

Thank you.

• Like 22
  • Agree 3

Hi there, yes I would expect that in future releases we will expand on our home screen options. These are all great ideas. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
ginjaninja

yes would love to be able to turn a specific playlist into a ribbon on the home screen

• 1 year later...
OnyxUK

this has been asked for multiple times, devs say it could happen but doubtful, but staying hopeful  

• 9 months later...
Romek123

"Pin to start" for any item would be such a game changer! Even when its limited to 25 items or something like this.

lets say i wanna pin the Tag: Blockbuster, Oscar Winner - Playlist: Christmas Movies, To Watch list - Favorites: Actor xyz + 2 movies + 1 collection

and all this would be shown in one single widget at the top of my start screen as posteriew

I don't think this would need much rework or resources

47 minutes ago, EZEd said:

Can't you already do this with Favorites?

Yes, they're just on a separate tab (the favorites tab).

On 6/17/2022 at 2:39 PM, Luke said:

Yes, they're just on a separate tab (the favorites tab).

Right... directed at OP as suggestion to do what he's asking as new feature is already there with the favorites tab.  New feature not required/necessary in my opinion.  It already exists.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

roaku
10 minutes ago, EZEd said:

Right... directed at OP as suggestion to do what he's asking as new feature is already there with the favorites tab.  New feature not required/necessary in my opinion.  It already exists.

A separate tab isn't the home screen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, roaku said:

A separate tab isn't the home screen.

But it is why they call them favorites and what your list describes is a bunch of favorites that you would like others to see when they first get to Emby. It might already be possible to have Emby show the favorites tab first instead of the home screen. I haven't investigated because I like the home screen as is and hardly ever use favorites.  But I do believe the original intent for the favorites tab was to do exactly what you're asking in your original post.

roaku
22 minutes ago, EZEd said:

But it is why they call them favorites and what your list describes is a bunch of favorites that you would like others to see when they first get to Emby. It might already be possible to have Emby show the favorites tab first instead of the home screen. I haven't investigated because I like the home screen as is and hardly ever use favorites.  But I do believe the original intent for the favorites tab was to do exactly what you're asking in your original post.

It's not my post. I'm just reading it.

rwblodgett

I would like to be able to add a section "Watch Again" that keeps track of what user recently watched, and show a scroll list of that on the home screen.

Also, would like to be able to add a custom section as mentioned above.

ginjaninja
6 hours ago, rwblodgett said:

I would like to be able to add a section "Watch Again" that keeps track of what user recently watched, and show a scroll list of that on the home screen.

Also, would like to be able to add a custom section as mentioned above.

fyi, the smart playlist plugin can maintain a playlist of recently watched....not on the home screen but 50% there...

image.thumb.png.ff90805fd274c63c8e3b013436a62947.png

Romek123

the smart playlist plugin

to complicated to install ... i have a synology nas. i wish this addon could be installed like all other addons ...

Edited by Romek123

• 9 months later...
Riddler84
On 6/19/2022 at 1:40 AM, EZEd said:

But how? Favorites are user-specific, aren't they? So another user wouldn't see what I marked as favorite. He would only see his own favorites. Also, you can put collections or playlists in there, but it doesn't show the contents of it directly. It's just the collection as one clickable item.

So I don't see, how the favorites tab can achieve anything at all, from the things the OP want.

• 5 months later...
Locutus64

I would like to see any playlist created show right under the libraries basically pushing down the other sections one row. The idea would I can create a music playlist then a movie playlist and perhaps a TV playlist and have them side by side in a single row directly under the libraries.

@justin_looking_glassas for collection they were turned automatically into a library when one created their first collection. That needs to be reenabled.

visproduction
  1. Using file management software, you could pull 12 videos from a library folder into a new folder and call "Recommended films", or whatever.  It will show up as 'Latest Recommended films'.
  2. List the folder on the home page in settings.  Unfortunately, there is no control to do this for existing user all at once.  You would have to update them one at a time. You can only set it as the new standard for new users and copy that setup for any new user created.
  3. When you are finished with recommending these 12 videos, move them back to the general folder and move new recommendations in.  You can do this monthly or whenever you want.
  4. Or, you can just manipulate the add time of any media so it pops up to the top of the latest videos that are already showing if you have latest rows turned on.  That is really quick and totally inside Emby. You can put whatever videos you like to the front of the latest list.

This will look like the effect you are trying to create using exisitng Emby version.  You have to move files around with your OS file manager or command line and then rescan all libraries or just let the timer take care of it.  The only difference would really be that any Genre or Tag lookup in the library where you pulled videos from would fail to find these missing videos.  You could just leave another copy in the original library to solve that.

I don't understand why you want to create a GUI control to do this from inside Emby.  Is it just because you don't like working with file management on your server?  Since it is pretty easy to do this, it seems like adding some other feature that cannot be easily done with file management would be better use of development time.
Edited by visproduction