New server/NAS need your thoughts and opinions please

chrismallia

SHSPVR

The drive makers are hurting themselves by doing this. Mixing technologies within product lines and not labeling the drives clearly is going to make people avoid the full line or even the brand. They are all being sneaky about this in their race to higher capacity while trying to keep consumers in the dark. They could create a new product line for SMR and guide people to the right usage for workload and application. Or stick to branding SMR for enterprise, cloud and archival use and leave consumer lines alone.

I know it really make me mad specially with Seagate who down out right lair call there drive as TGMR recording technology in pdf when in reality it is SMR and this drive is only 5 months old and have to RMA because even there own tool show it has having problem. 

5ead8be128182_drive.jpg

Q-Droid

I know it really make me mad specially with Seagate who down out right lair call there drive as TGMR recording technology in pdf when in reality it is SMR and this drive is only 5 months old and have to RMA because even there own tool show it has having problem. 

I seem to remember we had a chat about that, didn't we? ;-)

chrismallia

I am currently running ZFS on my ubuntu NAS.  Its a fantastic filesystem.  You would choose mergerFS so that you can pool your drives easily and not have to worry about differing disk sizes.  With ZFS you need to match (or exceed) disk size in any vdev.  But for fult tolerance ZFS is the way to go.  I run 10x2 drive mirrors, which means I can lose 1 drive in each vdev before I lose my data.  

Regarding WD Reds, I've been running 2TB - 8TB drives for many years without issue.  Seagate on the other hand.... I lost 3 drives in 2 years and they were from different lots, which is pretty unacceptable.

Thanks for the great and detailed info.

SHSPVR

I seem to remember we had a chat about that, didn't we? ;-)

I take your ref to this https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80304-harddrives/

But the my point is that even seagate own rep lair to us you can see the reply on Newegg that TGMR is not SMR by what they said and now that truth is out

And look like all other drive are hidden form the truth

Q-Droid

I take your ref to this https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80304-harddrives/

But the my point is that even seagate own rep lair to us you can see the reply on Newegg that TGMR is not SMR by what they said and now that truth is out

And look like all other drive are hidden form the truth

Yep, that was it. Seagate changed their docs for the same models from SMR to TGMR and now all brands are trying to hide or at least bury the fact they've been using SMR in newer releases within their product lines. The reps lied or were misinformed but the end result is the same. You/we get stuck with something we didn't want and even tried to avoid.

• Like 1