Distorted pixels of bottom of screen & text

Frepz

Hi,

I have converted all my files with the conversion in Emby to "TV", but when I stream any media on my Samsung Smart TV  I sometimes get distorted pixels at the bottom of the screen, or between the subtitles.

I also had the same issue during credits, where the scrolling text was sort of "hanging" giving  white stripes after the text.

Has anyone encountered that before, or know why it occurs?

Kind regards

Frepz

rbjtech

It sounds as if the pixels are not being refreshed and what you see is an image 'ghost'.       This could be caused by the method you are using to stream (possible HDMI issues etc) - do you have an alternative way to get the same media to show on the same TV ?  If it still happens, then I fear the issue may be the TV ..  :huh:

@@Luke

I am not able to take screenshots, but I am able to take pictures of my TV.

Please see the following pictures:

https://pasteboard.co/J5XhL7P.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/J5XhXt3.jpg

You see the distortion on the bottom of the screen in the second picture.

@@rbjtech I am actually seeing the same when I try to cast with Plex as well, but it does not seem to be an issue in either media player if I run the same clips/episodes in any browser on my computer. From the pictures, does it look like image ghosting? I thought image ghosting wouldn't look that bad, or create those distortion on the bottom of the screen..

Edited by Frepz

FrostByte

Not yet.

Is this only after converting the file, does it play normally before converting?

I don't normally convert anything, but can try if it's a problem with conversion.

I used the option to replace the original file after conversion - But I'll download the original file again and create its own library and test later today.  I will let you know the results right after I have tested.

Edited by Frepz
  • Like 1

I have now tested and when I play using the original file, the issue is not present anymore.

It seems like its something with the conversion after all.

• Like 1

rbjtech

@@Luke

I am not able to take screenshots, but I am able to take pictures of my TV.

Please see the following pictures:

https://pasteboard.co/J5XhL7P.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/J5XhXt3.jpg

You see the distortion on the bottom of the screen in the second picture.

@@rbjtech I am actually seeing the same when I try to cast with Plex as well, but it does not seem to be an issue in either media player if I run the same clips/episodes in any browser on my computer. From the pictures, does it look like image ghosting? I thought image ghosting wouldn't look that bad, or create those distortion on the bottom of the screen..

After looking at the 2nd image - that is not ghosting - that is corruption with the conversion as you have now identified.  ;)

Ghosting is when it looks as if the image has been 'dragged' up the screen and is leaving part of the image on the screen.

Anyway - glad it is now fixed/understood - and not your TV  :D

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

I tried a few more tests:

I tried to convert my newly downloaded file, with nothing else running on my computer (trying to avoid corruption), and then tested again. It still gave the same result.

I then tried to download the same episode, but from another downloader that had used their own encoding, where their file worked as intended. I then tried to convert that file, but then the same error occured. I am not sure how Embys conversion work, but apparently it screws up the files when viewing them on the TV :(

For now guess I will steer away from the Emby conversion.

rbjtech

I tried a few more tests:

I tried to convert my newly downloaded file, with nothing else running on my computer (trying to avoid corruption), and then tested again. It still gave the same result.

I then tried to download the same episode, but from another downloader that had used their own encoding, where their file worked as intended. I then tried to convert that file, but then the same error occured. I am not sure how Embys conversion work, but apparently it screws up the files when viewing them on the TV :(

For now guess I will steer away from the Emby conversion.

Interesting, as Emby just uses the very well know and very mature ffmpeg suite to do it's h264 conversions - the Dev's may like to see the source file to see why ffmpeg is producing this corruption as I've never heard or seen 'spot' corruption like this before.

Interesting, as Emby just uses the very well know and very mature ffmpeg suite to do it's h264 conversions - the Dev's may like to see the source file to see why ffmpeg is producing this corruption as I've never heard or seen 'spot' corruption like this before.

I can certainly upload the source file so the devs can take a look  :) 

I would need to know where I can get in touch with them and where I could upload the source file though.

FrostByte

I can certainly upload the source file so the devs can take a look  :)

I would need to know where I can get in touch with them and where I could upload the source file though.

Upload the file/or a sample of it to some cloud server and then PM Luke and SamES a link

Upload the file/or a sample of it to some cloud server and then PM Luke and SamES a link

I have sent a PM to Luke now :), thanks so far everyone!

Edited by Frepz