Direct Play 265 HEVC 23.976215 FPS Playback Not Smooth

troyhough

troyhough
3 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Try to put the moov atom at the beginning of the file.

https://sanjeev-pandey.medium.com/understanding-the-mpeg-4-moov-atom-pseudo-streaming-in-mp4-93935e1b9e9a

https://www.ezs3.com/public/Checking_Metadata_or_Moov_Atom_Location.cfm

You can try to repack the mp4 file to mkv. If file plays fine, the issue is in the container

@vdatanetVLC plays all of these problematic files smooth as butter. Do you still suggest doing the moov atom hack and repack???

vdatanet
5 hours ago, troyhough said:

@vdatanetVLC plays all of these problematic files smooth as butter. Do you still suggest doing the moov atom hack and repack???

VLC is a different player, but Exoplayer has this requirement:

Just test with one problematic file to see if it helps. I am not saying that this is the problem, but it is a hypothesis. If you don't need the MP4 format, just repack it into MKV, it's a very fast process with no quality loss.

troyhough
9 hours ago, vdatanet said:

VLC is a different player, but Exoplayer has this requirement:

Just test with one problematic file to see if it helps. I am not saying that this is the problem, but it is a hypothesis. If you don't need the MP4 format, just repack it into MKV, it's a very fast process with no quality loss.

Reminder: all files play flawlessly on my Nvidia Shield 2017's.

Also, I just followed your link, downloaded rndware Metadata Mover and ran it on one of the problem HEVC files. It made no difference when trying to play it again after the modification.

• Like 2

thelanranger

I have actually just seen this issue but with a different platform entirely.

This can be duplicated on XBox One S with VLC player and Kodi from the app store AND you should be able to duplicate it on a PC with the same app store apps!

I noticed that, specifically, the VLC app store app on the PC had the exact same file play issue that the XBox One had on a specific file but the desktop version of VLC player did not have the issue. Makes me wonder if everyone is using the same bunch of shared code that has a flaw? Is emby/vlc/kodi all using some shared block of GNU code for HEVC that has a bug related to floating point in the frame rate? Or is this a floating point hardware bug?

My affected file was actually 0.000001 fps different that your listed issues.

troyhough

For fun I installed VLC from the Microsoft Store on my Windows 10 PC. I tried playing a couple of the Problematic 23.976215 HEVC files and they played back perfectly with that too. (the regular Windows exe VLC player also plays back perfectly as noted previously).

thelanranger

Do you have an Xbox? I did not have an issue with the desktop version playing the file but my slower computer clearly "took more effort" to play the one with 29.976215. I don't really have any way to measure the load on the Gpu of a system like a cpu. 

• Like 1

troyhough
On 12/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, thelanranger said:

Do you have an Xbox? I did not have an issue with the desktop version playing the file but my slower computer clearly "took more effort" to play the one with 29.976215. I don't really have any way to measure the load on the Gpu of a system like a cpu. 

I don't have an Xbox sorry.

@Lukeand boys we definitely have pinpointed a specific issue here, it's just a matter of figuring out what exactly is going on and get it fixed!

Edited by troyhough

• 7 months later...
troyhough

This problem persists. x265 HEVC files @ 23.976215 FPS are choppy and do not play back smoothly. It's super annoying and has been a problem for a long time now!

• Agree 1

troyhough
19 minutes ago, troyhough said:

This problem persists. x265 HEVC files @ 23.976215 FPS are choppy and do not play back smoothly. It's super annoying and has been a problem for a long time now!

Edit: Could be a problem with just Pixel devices? I can't confirm or deny this.

troyhough
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Are these HEVC files 8 or 10 bit?

10 bit

Have you check the specs on your phone for H.265/10 bit?

A lot of phones don't handle 10 bit well unless things are in specific formats which vary by device.

Is it a 1080 or 4K video?

troyhough
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Have you check the specs on your phone for H.265/10 bit?

A lot of phones don't handle 10 bit well unless things are in specific formats which vary by device.

Is it a 1080 or 4K video?

I haven't checked the specs, however Emby on the same phone Direct Plays x265 24 FPS, 23.976025 FPS, and 23.976023 FPS flawlessly. The only prob is with 23.976215 FPS.

They are all 1080.

troyhough

Just for fun, I enabled External Video Players, then chose VLC as the player in Emby and the files play back perfectly. Not sure what says if anything.

Edited by troyhough
  • Agree 1

thelanranger

There's definitely a few weird issues with 4K movies that are device specific. Since emby uses the media player of the device (like on Xbox one) 4k is a bit of a trial. The only real way I've been able to get reliable playback is to make sure that audio pass through is enabled and that the receiver (or in your case the player in your phone) will naively decode the audio stream. If your audio source needs to be transcoded then the video is choppy even though the video direct plays. 

vdatanet
1 minute ago, thelanranger said:

If your audio source needs to be transcoded then the video is choppy even though the video direct plays. 

This is a known issue. 

troyhough

I will try and test this on my neighbor's S20 and see if it does the same thing. I'll report back the results.

vdatanet
15 minutes ago, troyhough said:

I will try and test this on my neighbor's S20 and see if it does the same thing. I'll report back the results.

It should work. I have an S10 and get direct play (neither video nor audio is converted) of HEVC HDR DTS content.

troyhough
1 minute ago, vdatanet said:

It should work. I have an S10 and get direct play (neither video nor audio is converted) of HEVC HDR DTS content.

Are all/any of your files 23.976215 FPS?

Those are the ONLY ones I have a problem with!

vdatanet
27 minutes ago, troyhough said:

Are all/any of your files 23.976215 FPS?

Those are the ONLY ones I have a problem with!

No, I don't have any file at 23.976215, only at 23.976:

809022848_Capturadepantalla2021-08-02alas21_26_08.png.1306a9ed326ffddc1d9cbd520b765827.png

Edited by vdatanet

troyhough
47 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

No, I don't have any file at 23.976215, only at 23.976:

809022848_Capturadepantalla2021-08-02alas21_26_08.png.1306a9ed326ffddc1d9cbd520b765827.png

As noted previously, I can direct play x265 24 FPS, 23.976025 FPS, and 23.976023 FPS flawlessly. The only prob is with 23.976215 FPS. All are 1080.

If you want I can PM you a test file and you can see if your phone will Direct Play it smoothly with the Emby Android app.

vdatanet
3 minutes ago, troyhough said:

As noted previously, I can direct play x265 24 FPS, 23.976025 FPS, and 23.976023 FPS flawlessly. The only prob is with 23.976215 FPS. All are 1080.

If you want I can PM you a test file and you can see if your phone will Direct Play it smoothly with the Emby Android app.

If you don't mind sending me a sample, I'll take a look.