Continue Watching showing weird entries

michaelh

michaelh

Hi,

So I've had some weirdness in just the last couple of days. When going into the main screen of Emby, the "Continue Watching" section has been showing entries that should not be there. Some things to note:

• This happened on both a LG TV client and a Windows App client, with exactly the same "weird" entries, so would appear to be server related. (I'm running 4.4.2.0 on a QNAP NAS.)
  • Some of the entries were complete garbage, in that they were saying that I could continue watching a 22 minute show from the 35 minute mark.
  • I wanted to clear this garbage, so I went into one of them, clicked on "play from beginning", then immediately stopped the video (in order to clear in being "half watched".) When I then hit the back button to go back to the list, BAM! All the weird entries were gone and the list I was expecting to see suddenly returned.
  • I did some searching in Playback reporting to see if I was getting the "Continue Watching" list of another user, but some of the entries had not been watched by anybody else at any time as far as I could tell. (And the fact that they were "garbage" in their numbers suggests these entries are coming from some other corruption anyway.)
  • The *same* "weird entries" came back again after I rebooted the server. Trying to clear the garbage again (as I did in point 3) resulted in the list correcting itself as it did previously.
  • I'm not using the Trackt plugin.

Next time it happens I'll try to get some screen shots.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi.  You mentioned you are using Playback Reporting plug-in.  I think that plug-in will create some "content" at least in the form of a playlist but it isn't too likely it is related to this.  What other plug-ins have you installed?  Any of the test ones that do create content like smart playlists or VirtualTV?

michaelh

Hi,

No Smart Playlists that I'm aware of. A week ago or more I did start experimenting with IPTV, but haven't really set it up or used it properly. But the plugin is there. Here's a full list taken from the log:

GenreCleaner, Version=1.0.17.0
playback_reporting, Version=1.6.10.9
EmbyReports, Version=1.0.38.0
Emby.Server.CinemaMode, Version=1.0.31.0
IMVDb, Version=1.0.8.0
MediaBrowser.Plugins.TimeLordMovies, Version=19.8.3.1105
MediaBrowser.Plugins.TimeLord, Version=19.8.3.1105
Fanart, Version=1.0.7.0
MovieDb, Version=1.3.3.0
StudioImages, Version=1.0.3.0
MusicBrainz, Version=1.0.13.0
Tvdb, Version=1.0.30.0
AudioDb, Version=1.0.10.0
NfoMetadata, Version=1.0.29.0
OMDb, Version=1.0.9.0
Emby.PortMapper, Version=1.0.4.0
Emby.Dlna, Version=1.0.37.0
DvdMounter, Version=1.0.0.0
Emby.Webhooks, Version=1.0.11.0
BlurayMounter, Version=1.0.0.0
MediaBrowser.Channels.IPTV, Version=1.1.9.0
MediaBrowser.Plugins.TuneIn, Version=1.2.5.0
Emby.Api, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Web, Version=4.4.2.0
MediaBrowser.Model, Version=4.4.2.0
MediaBrowser.Common, Version=4.4.2.0
MediaBrowser.Controller, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Providers, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Photos, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Server.Implementations, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.LiveTV, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.ActivityLog, Version=1.0.0.0
Emby.Server.MediaEncoding, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.LocalMetadata, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Notifications, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Codecs.Dxva, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Codecs, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Server.Connect, Version=4.4.2.0
Emby.Server.Sync, Version=4.4.2.0
EmbyServer, Version=4.4.2.0

So the IPTV and TuneIn plugins are probably the two I added most recently. I'm not really using them much though so as soon as it happens again so I can prove to myself it's not a fluke and I can get screen shots I'll try removing them and see if that fixes things.

Cheers,

Michael

michaelh

It hasn't happened again... yet. Will definitely grab screen shots again if/when it does.

Sounds like I experienced the same glitch reported here, incidentally:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85091-i-am-a-silly-american-question-then-a-serious-one/?hl=%2Bcontinue+%2Bwatching

And of course I need to not rouse on the kids and accuse them of watching a R rated movie when they've done no such thing! ;)

Cheers,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
michaelh

Ok, so it's happened one more time, and I was able to capture a image of it, but of course I don't feel like this actually helps in getting to the bottom of things!

5ece042ee6fce_20200517_191022.jpg

So, everything in the "Continue Watching" is garbage. Age of Ultron and Hardcore Henry are not partially watched. The HBO Comedy Special doesn't even have a green line to show it is partially watched, but that because if you go into it it says "Resume from 35:12"  or similar, which is pretty clever for a 27 minute show. Similarly for the show that is half cut-off.

These are the same shows appearing again and again, even though a few weeks have passed since the last time this occurred. And similarly to last time, watching a show then re-displaying the main display forced it to refresh and it fixed itself up.

There you have it. Proof that it happens, but it also happens extremely rarely (four or five times in the month, and only once in the last 3 weeks) so I'm not suggesting you spend a lot of time on this.

Cheers,

Michael

What I would do is go into the metadata editor for these and check that the external IDs are all correct. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

michaelh

External IDs were all OK. The only thing I was maybe surprised by was that the two movies only had IMDB IDs, not TheMovieDB IDs.

Anything else you can think I should check? Happy to did around a bit if it helps.

Cheers,

Michael

What are all the apps that are used for playback against your system?

The only thing I can think of is that some app is reporting progress with an incorrect ID or something somehow...

michaelh

G'day,

The vast majority of playback occurs using the LG TV app, but there are a few other clients in use. Here's a list taken from Playback Reporting:

Emby Theater (1.0.24)

Emby Web (4.4.2.0)
Emby for Windows (1.1.311.0)
Emby Theater (1.1.311.0)
Emby for Android Mobile (3.1.23)
Emby for Android Mobile (3.0.21)
Emby for Chromecast (2.1.0)

The out-of-date Android Mobile would be from a "Android TV"-like device that only occasionally gets used.

The fact that it's the same wrong four programs that come up in the "Now Playing" list, even 4 weeks later (after plenty of other playback has occurred) makes me think that the part of the system looking up that information is what's getting things wrong. Something like a pointer not being set correctly, so it's defaulting to some (non-changing) bit of garbage that then gets interpreted wrong. But as a programmer myself, I know how hard it is to track something like that down unless you can reproduce it at will.

Cheers,

Michael

michaelh

No, as it's not been suggested up to now, and I've also had the Playback Reporting plug-in from the very beginning of using Emby, while the problem is only recent. (Though of course that's not to say recent changes in the Payback Reporting plugin, or Emby's interaction with it, aren't to blame.)

Look, I'll give it a go, but since it took over 3 weeks for the problem to show again last time, I won't exactly be able to prove things either way for a while, plus I could never prove the negative anyway.

Do you actually have a suspicion that Playback Reporting would be changing the data that "Continue Watching" relies on? As a reporting plugin, I would have thought it didn't change any of the data at all!

Cheers,

Michael

At one point in time, that plug-in did attempt to create some content (playlists) in your library.

Since we cannot reproduce the issue eliminating any code that is unknown and out of our control is a good step towards eliminating possible causes.