Wake/Sleep Problems

Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

I've been having an odd problem since switching from Roku to Fire Sticks: my computer doesn't go back to sleep after Emby wakes it. It used to be that I'd start Emby on the Roku, it would wake my computer, I'd play something, exit the Roku app, and the computer would go back to sleep. Now, with the Fire Sticks, the first part goes fine, but the computer stays awake -- fans running, hard drive running, etc.

Is there a setting I need to change? I tried turning on the "wake only on magic packet" Windows setting, but then Emby couldn't wake the computer at all.

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from the time when you expected the machine to go to sleep? We might be able to identify some activity there that could be causing it. Thanks.

Blatherscribe

Sure, here's one from just a little while ago. I don't know if it's reflected in the log, but once again the computer didn't go back to sleep after playing a movie. With my old Roku Emby setup, it would go back to sleep just a couple of minutes after exiting the app.

Thanks!

embyserver.txt

As a test, if you turn off the Fire stick completely after stopping the movie, how does that compare?

Blatherscribe

That was interesting. I put the computer to sleep, woke it with Emby, and restarted the Fire stick. The monitor went into power saving mode, and the hard drive stopped seeking. Then about 30 seconds or so after the Fire stick had fully restarted, the hard drive had a blip of activity and the login screen popped up on my computer. The computer didn't have the chance to go fully back to sleep, but the screen activating indicates something poked it. Is the Emby app automatically logging back in as soon as the Fire stick starts?

No, you would have to actually start the app on the Fire stick.

Blatherscribe

Something strange is definitely happening, though. My computer wakes up whenever someone wakes a Fire stick with Emby installed, but not when they wake a Fire stick without Emby. Turning on the option only to allow a magic packet to wake the computer over the LAN stopped this, but now Emby can't wake it at all.

How do I enable magic packets from the Emby app? I think that might solve everything.

Turning on the option only to allow a magic packet to wake the computer over the LAN stopped this, but now Emby can't wake it at all.

Hi, did you mean to say turning off?

• 2 weeks later...
Blatherscribe

Sorry, I missed your latest response! No, turning *on* the option to only allow a magic packet to wake the computer stopped the computer waking every time someone uses a Fire stick with Emby, but when I do that I have to use the Emby app on my phone to wake the computer, because the one on the Fire stick doesn't seem to send a magic packet. And then it still won't go back to sleep afterward. There's something strange about the Fire app. But it's OK, it only means I have to leave my computer on instead of sending it to sleep. I'll just assume this is another oddity of the Fire stick.

Thanks for your help! :)

Blatherscribe

I have, and it doesn't work. I can wake the computer using a magic packet with the Emby Android app, but not the Fire TV stick. Strangely, the computer does not go back to sleep after the magic packet, same as when no magic packet is required and it wakes up every time someone uses a Fire stick.

Is there anything I need to change with Windows or my router to get a magic packet from the Fire app to work?

Hi.  Can you try waking with the Fire app and then immediately send a log from the app (there should be a button on the login screen)?

Thanks.

Blatherscribe

OK, I've done so. I had to wake the computer, start the Fire app, then log out in order to send the logs. I hope that's all right.

OK, I've done so. I had to wake the computer, start the Fire app, then log out in order to send the logs. I hope that's all right.

Exactly what time (EDT) did you send that log?

Blatherscribe

I don't know the *exact* time, but it was only a minute or two before I made my previous post here. So, assuming the time listed is correct, somewhere between 5:18 and 5:21 PM, Eastern time. Did it not show up?

There are a number of logs.  The only way i can know I'm looking at yours is to know the time it was sent and (if logged in at the time) the user.  I didn't think you would be logged in at the time because this was a server wake issue but it appears you were logged in as "Kyle".

Unfortunately, there is no attempt to wake the server in the log.

There is not a send logs button on the screen where the wake operation fails?

Blatherscribe

No, when the computer is asleep and I open the Emby Fire app, there's no option to send logs. If I select the server, there's a long pause, then I can choose to wake it or disconnect. If I select "wake," nothing happens.

Note that this is with my computer requiring a magic packet to wake. Otherwise it wakes immediately -- and in fact wakes up any time anyone in the house uses a Fire stick with the Emby app installed.

If I select "wake," nothing happens.

And just to confirm, doing the exact same thing with the mobile app, it wakes?

Blatherscribe

Yes, that's correct. The mobile app wakes my computer when a magic packet is required, the Fire app does not.