App access Geo Location

anders02

anders02

The app works good if I am on my network but I can't connect from outside my network. I have tried everything. It uses geo location to verify you. This gives a false readings because of the ATT standards. I was going to go Premium but I don't see the need if I can't use the app. I was told by Emby support to try a VPN. I should not have to do that. I will not do that. I live in the country and my internet is slow as it is. I will not slow it down further by adding a VPN. If they insist on using this geo location then I can't give them a good rating. Using geo location for a free service is just silly anyway.

Stop using Geo Location to verify me. It thinks I live in Texas. I do not live in Texas. But AT&T points there. I would be glad to pay for Premium if I could access my files though the app from outside my network. But I can't. So no Premium. 

anders02

I sat on the phone with your support and I was told that you do. That I could not access the server because of the Geo Location. I went over everything for over an hour. I tried to get an answer as to why I could access my files using the Plex Server but not the Emby Server on the same computer and the same network. That was the answer I got. And I still cannot access my files on my Emby server. 

Deathsquirrel

Did you perhaps sign up for a hosted service that uses Emby?  Nothing you've said describes how you interact with the Emby team or how their software works.  I think you're talking to a third party.

anders02

I am sure I did talk to Emby Support. It was a few months back. But it does not matter. If you say it is not Geo Location then fine. I will accept that. Then why can't I get access to my files remotely? The Emby server page on my computer is generating an IP address for remote WAN access that is unreachable. I was told it was AT&T assigning that address because of Geo Location services. If it is not then where is it coming from and why can't it be accessed? When I used the Plex server on the same computer and the same network I could access my files.I am open for suggestions. Or things to try. 

anders02

I have been at this for several months. I have read every web page your site has on connectivity. I have tried several port forwarding options. I don't think this is my router. When I connect my modem directly to my computer I still cannot access the WAN IP address the Emby server is assigning me. On the Dash board of the server it has a Remote Wan IP address. When I click on the IP address it opens a web pages that says This site cannot be reached. When I ping the address it says the same thing. When I open the Lan IP it works. This is from the computer running the server. When I change the name of the Server and then open the app on my phone the app picks up the new name but it will not let access the files. If it is picking up the name change it must be finding the server on my computer. It just won't let me connect to it. 

Hi.  We do not assign you your external IP address.  Your ISP does that. We just attempt to discover it and display it to you.  Can you check your router configuration and confirm that the IP showing is correct?  Did you setup port forwarding to your Emby Server correctly?

@@cayars perhaps you can help him with some of this...

pir8radio

I am sure I did talk to Emby Support. It was a few months back. But it does not matter. If you say it is not Geo Location then fine. I will accept that. Then why can't I get access to my files remotely? The Emby server page on my computer is generating an IP address for remote WAN access that is unreachable. I was told it was AT&T assigning that address because of Geo Location services. If it is not then where is it coming from and why can't it be accessed? When I used the Plex server on the same computer and the same network I could access my files.I am open for suggestions. Or things to try. 

I'm curious, I didn't know emby had "phone support"  I don't even know how to reach someone via phone that deals with emby.  (well I do, but not an official phone number listing).   Is no one concerned this fella talked to "someone" most likely not emby?  You should probably give more detail anders02 as to how you found the "emby support phone number" and more info about your app?     who knows you could be using an app some hacker guy made not even a real emby supported app.     Then try to troubleshoot...  

Yes I too am puzzled by that.

@@anders02 can you open a cmd prompt on your server.  Then run this command

tracert 8.8.8.8

after it finishes running PM me the results.

Also do me a favor and include the link to this thread in the PM which is:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85653-app-access-geo-location/&do=findComment&comment=876836

Thanks,

Carlo

anders02

Did I setup port forwarding correct? You tell me. I have tried many times. I have setup ports 8920 and 8096. I have tried many times with different ports. I have no idea what is right. But I think the problem lies with the IP address. When I run Whatismyipaddress it shows an address of 107.77.200.226 but the Dash Board of Emby says my IP is 166.137.143.15. If I remember right that was the problem. 

pwhodges

So what happens if you correct the setting in Emby to say 107.77.200.226 ?

Hmm.  According to a WHOIS query, those addresses are both AT&T Mobility, but in different places; the 166... one looks as it might be a reseller's range.

Maybe (this time - I was wrong when I last suggested it) this is actually a case of CGN - NAT being used between your ISP and AT&T as their provider.  This could well break any attempt to use a server unless they are willing to do the port forwarding between those two addresses - though it wouldn't surprise me if an ISP didn't feel that providing for a service to run on a mobile connection was appropriate.

Even if this is not actually a mobile connection (I merely inferred that from the provider's name), the extra NAT logic remains.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

crusher11

NAT was my guess too, a novice could easily confuse the dynamic IP issue with relating to geolocation.

anders02

At&t is my ISP. I tried setting the external domain to 107.77.200.226. That did not work. I can't seem to figure out the port forwarding. No matter how I set it up on my router when I go to Yougetsignal to check the port it says it's closed. I have set up ports before but I can't seem to figure this one out. 

pwhodges

It appears that this is not something you can set up on your present connection without asking for the help of your ISP.  But whether they will be willing to do what you need in this case is not a question I can answer.

I'm sorry that it's taken you so long to get to this point, but it appears to be something we cannot help with further.

Paul

mastrmind11

I'm curious, I didn't know emby had "phone support"  I don't even know how to reach someone via phone that deals with emby.  (well I do, but not an official phone number listing).   Is no one concerned this fella talked to "someone" most likely not emby?  You should probably give more detail anders02 as to how you found the "emby support phone number" and more info about your app?     who knows you could be using an app some hacker guy made not even a real emby supported app.     Then try to troubleshoot...  

I'd love to give eric a call if that were the case, shoot the shit, see what's up.  :P

• Like 2

anders02

I ran the tracert on googles dns. It says over max of 30 hops and returns with my routers IP and the google Dns.

I'd love to give eric a call if that were the case, shoot the shit, see what's up.  :P

5ea89102dc154_Shooting.png

I ran the tracert on googles dns. It says over max of 30 hops and returns with my routers IP and the google Dns.

Did you PM me the results?

I'm looking for something specific in hops it takes so I need to see it.

anders02

I did not think this would be resolved. Like I said I have been at this for months. I looked into the NAT but I thought it was the Geo Location because the IP I am getting is in Dallas. I do not live in Dallas. When I go to whatsmyipaddress it shows my current location as a second choice. Anyway Thanks for looking at it. I am looking into another solution for this. This was working when I was using Plex as my server. But I did not like Plex. It took to much of my time in oversight. I like Emby for the simplicity of use. I just wish I could get the app to work remotely. If anybody thinks of anything let me know. Thanks. 

I would certainly like to try to help you get this resolved but you're not helping by answering questions asked.  Both I and ebr have asked a couple of things that didn't get an answered.  That makes it hard to walk through a process when you can't get an answer to questions asked.

If you could PM me the tracert as well as a picture of your firewall port forwarding and Emby dashboard showing connection strings that would give me a lot to go on to offer your help.

Carlo

anders02

It did not show the hops. It just showed what I said. The google dns 8.8.8.8 and my routers IP. That's it. As for the port forwarding I have tried several different settings. The Dash list a Lan IP and a Wan IP with port 8096 and port 8920. That is how I set the port forwarding. As for my firewall. I have tried turning it off to see if that had any effect. It did not. I am not sure what else you are looking for.