Some Audiobook stuff, again.

pXius

So with the slow but very appreciated audiobook development, having resume functionality etc has made Emby a viable solution to my audiobook hosting.

By converting all my audiobooks to single M4B files makes sorting the library pretty straight forward. Even without M4B chapter support, having resume makes it viable in my use-case.

I've taken up the task to manually handle all the metadata but I still have one hurdle:
From what tag is the metadata for "Overview" pulled when adding an audiobook?

Also, as what is overview saved in the NFO file?

The book name is pulled from "Title", the author is pulled from "Artist", etc, etc. But I can't figure out from where it's suppose to pull "Overview".

I've tried adding the following tags with no success: Overview, Description, Comment.

Finally, can we expect basic things like artists to be named author, and album to be named book in the near future?

From what tag is the metadata for "Overview" pulled when adding an audiobook?

There currently isn't one. Is there something that is universally recognized?

There currently isn't one. Is there something that is universally recognized?

From all the research I've done there is unfortunately no industry standard.

Audible whom can be considered the leaders don't store book information within the tags.

Here's a link to what can be extracted form an audible file.

https://exiftool.org/TagNames/Audible.html#meta

The Macr0dev plugin for plex uses the "Review" field for this.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/rel-audiobook-metadata-agent-audible/199579

Most other existing tools such as Booksonic, AudioServe, etc don't make use of tags beyond the Artist = Author and Album = Book.

They all mostly rely on a separate text file(s) always called "Description".

Some of the popular M4B formatting tools designed to stitch or split audiobooks also make use of the name "Description" when adding tags. Some go as far as adding 2 tags, a short and long description. 

So the tl;dr really is that there is no industry standard. So whatever Emby decides to use is as good as any. 

OK yea so i guess the starting point would be the overview in the album nfo file, and then we can build out from there.

OK yea so i guess the starting point would be the overview in the album nfo file, and then we can build out from there.

I believe so yes.

One more thing to add. eBooks make use of the the "description" tag as well as set out EPUB specification developed by the International Digital Publishing Forum. Just a thought.

• 9 months later...
adminExitium

Any chance this is planned to be added soon? All my audiobooks have the proper Plot/Overview/Description embedded in the Description & Comment tags of the mp3 files but even then, the plot/overview is empty. There are a few other fields that are empty but this is the most glaring issue preventing the use of Emby as an audiobook player.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:45 AM, adminExitium said:

Any chance this is planned to be added soon? All my audiobooks have the proper Plot/Overview/Description embedded in the Description & Comment tags of the mp3 files but even then, the plot/overview is empty. There are a few other fields that are empty but this is the most glaring issue preventing the use of Emby as an audiobook player.

Hopefully soon.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome to hear. Is there any chance of being able to extract chapters from audio files for audiobooks? Other than the description field that's one of the biggest features I'm missing for using Emby full-time for audiobooks (I have a small app that I built that can stream from Emby but getting chapter information is less feasible). It's also interesting that playback speed support was added for the video player but not the audio player, which is a very useful feature for audiobook listening as well. Thanks!

There's also a series tag that would be really could to incorporate into an auto collection or something similar. 🙂

Edited by azoth

On 2/16/2021 at 6:10 PM, azoth said:

Awesome to hear. Is there any chance of being able to extract chapters from audio files for audiobooks? Other than the description field that's one of the biggest features I'm missing for using Emby full-time for audiobooks (I have a small app that I built that can stream from Emby but getting chapter information is less feasible). It's also interesting that playback speed support was added for the video player but not the audio player, which is a very useful feature for audiobook listening as well. Thanks!

There's also a series tag that would be really could to incorporate into an auto collection or something similar. 🙂

Hi, yes we will get there.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, slyfox said:

Any update on Audiobook Description metadata? 

Hi, what exactly are you asking?

slyfox
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, what exactly are you asking?

An m4b audiobook has description metadata. How can I make emby display this info?

4 minutes ago, slyfox said:

An m4b audiobook has description metadata. How can I make emby display this info?

The upcoming Emby Server 4.7 release has improved support for audio book descriptions, so please try that once released. Thanks.

slyfox
13 hours ago, Luke said:

The upcoming Emby Server 4.7 release has improved support for audio book descriptions, so please try that once released. Thanks.

Good start.

Can you please add more lines for the preview description and change the text indentation to the left as it is hard to read when the text is centered?

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 12.37.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 12.37.11 PM.png

Edited by slyfox