Decided to passthrough a GPU for fun to see performance improvements.

rsvg

And, I see now that enabling GPU transcoding is a Premiere Feature?! I just wanted to post how lame I think that is. Like maybe if it were complicated but it's a nvidia.. 

"If you have an NVIDIA GPU which supports hardware-accelerated video encoding and decoding, it’s simply a matter of compiling FFmpeg binary with the required support for NVIDIA libraries and using the resulting binaries to speed up video encoding/decoding."

I know.. "we work very hard on this". Well maybe you should make it open source again so you don't have to and others could help emby meet basic technology requirements of 2020. On to another solution now.. all I wanted was a simple media streaming web app. jeez.

I.. don't support this. Unfortunately that canned response will only become more and more used in the future. Sorry. Another jellyfin convert I guess

I think if you saw the amount of hours we log working on Emby you'd be more understanding. This is our jobs, not a hobby project, so it's just not possible for us to make everything freely available.

It's irrelevant to me how many hours are logged. I base value on complexity, and paywalling such a basic feature now a days is unacceptable imho. I paid 5$ so I could measure the difference, but it'll be my last 5$ and perhaps I need to invest some time in another OPEN SOURCE solution. take care. 

rechigo
Just because you can easily compile FFmpeg to include support for hardware en/decoding, doesn't mean it's easy to implement. The developers have to put in a lot of effort to make sure that the experience is consistent across different platforms and GPUs, which isn't easy to do.

Why do people care so much about projects being open source when they most likely haven't and never will contribute a line of code to the project? I feel like people only care about projects being open source because it means (usually) that the software in question is free. If that's not the case and there's a paywall, do you know people are going to do? Fork the project and write a simple patch that bypasses the registration services so they can get the software for free.

Edited by rechigo
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

Some people will invest money for something that just works, others would rather invest their time to make something work. Don't assume everyone wants the same thing.

Spaceboy

It's irrelevant to me how many hours are logged. I base value on complexity, and paywalling such a basic feature now a days is unacceptable imho. I paid 5$ so I could measure the difference, but it'll be my last 5$ and perhaps I need to invest some time in another OPEN SOURCE solution. take care.

bye now!
  • Like 1

arrbee99

I don't like to boast, but I like to think that when God was giving out his gifts, I was at the front of the queue for cheap. And even I think Emby is worth the money.

• Like 1

I think no one cares.. bye bye and good luck with open source solution and I hope you are not the same in private life by getting annoyed when you do not get what you want! Be relaxed and cheers

• Like 1

I'm not annoyed at all actually. I am just sharing my opinion of it being overly greedy in order to possibly insight change. It has very little impact on me actually. it's as simple as changing "image:emby/embyserver""to "image:jellyfin/jellyfin". it's 2020, technology moves fast, I'm just giving advice that could keep emby relevant as opposed to users switching to (or building) a different solution. 

It's also wasteful, you're locking out your customer's own hardware and forcing cpu utilization unnecessarily. Such a boomer move. Also I can tell that you know you're wrong in doing it because of how defensive everyone in this post is. 

I just want to make this information easy to find for others that are mistakenly considering a locked down platform. So they don't begin investing time in it not knowing that it's crippled unless you pay 5$ a month. A tiny "Emby Premiere required" isn't enough. Perhaps if it were a one time payment, but no, just not worth it.

Edited by rsvg

Spaceboy

I'm not annoyed at all actually. I am just sharing my opinion of it being overly greedy in order to possibly insight change. It has very little impact on me actually. it's as simple as changing "image:emby/embyserver""to "image:jellyfin/jellyfin". it's 2020, technology moves fast, I'm just giving advice that could keep emby relevant as opposed to users switching to (or building) a different solution.

It's also wasteful, you're locking out your customer's own hardware and forcing cpu utilization unnecessarily. Such a boomer move. Also I can tell that you know you're wrong in doing it because of how defensive everyone in this post is.

I just want to make this information easy to find for others that are mistakenly considering a locked down platform. So they don't begin investing time in it not knowing that it's crippled unless you pay 5$ a month. A tiny "Emby Premiere required" isn't enough. Perhaps if it were a one time payment, but no, just not worth it.

defensive? We’re just wishing you well on your journey out of here.

And just for your insight it’s incite

• Like 1

Thank you for the correction, if only you could use such astute observation in regards to Emby LLC paywalled features. 

mastrmind11

Perhaps if it were a one time payment, but no, just not worth it.

it is a 1 time payment if you want it to be.  stop being a cheapskate.  these guys have to make a living, too.

Sorry let me rephrase, a reasonable one time payment. $120 to get the free gpu functionality that ffmpeg provides? Perhaps if it were $20-$30 one time I'd consider. But now it's also a matter of principal. 

Go ahead and call me cheap, I don't care, or find that offensive. Only a fool spends money unnecessarily.

maegibbons

You really have no idea of the work that @@softworkz put in to getting hardware encoding working well with all sorts of different media types.

But thats down to your stupidity in thinking that things magically happen without being "worked" on. Work is equal to time which is equal to money.

Jellyfin is based on old code. A lot of hardware acceleration work has been done SINCE that codebase was taken by Jellyfin and they do not have the talent or resource to bridge the gap now or any time soon.

If the existing Jellyfin server works for you then PLEASE go but dont expect improvements.

On the other hand, the emby devs work hard to improve the product and if you dont want to pay for that then LEAVE!!

KRs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 4

Jdiesel

Ah yes the monthly ritual of debating the value of software.

Emby is in a tough market being that it's primary userbase is interested in the software solely to avoid paying for media. They have a mentality that digital content has no value because they are accustomed to not paying for it. Yes I am generalizing a bit but lets not kid ourselves.

If Emby wasn't available for download but could only be obtained by purchasing hardware running Emby would people value it more? Would $400 for an entry level Emby server be an outrageous cost? People seem to have no issue dropping $300 on a GPU for media transcoding but are offended at the thought of spending $120 on software to run their entire media server.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

Sorry let me rephrase, a reasonable one time payment. $120 to get the free gpu functionality that ffmpeg provides? Perhaps if it were $20-$30 one time I'd consider. But now it's also a matter of principal.

Go ahead and call me cheap, I don't care, or find that offensive. Only a fool spends money unnecessarily.

it would be remiss of me not to point out that it’s principle not principal [emoji23]
  • Like 1

stfu @@maegibbons, you're just another yelling boomer that made not one valid point. I've already stated I've "left" and that this is for anyone else that might also question this decision to find.

And I definitely don't think things happen "magically", I've already stated my value system and will continue to donate my time to open source solutions.

Also, jellyfin is soooo out of date, won't improve, and no one works on it.. that's why there were commits 6 days ago? https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/commits/master

Please sit your old brexit loving ass down and shut up. 

@@Jdiesel I'm against the overcharging of anyone for anything. It's deceitful. Just charge 120$ for emby if you're going to cripple it. And my video card cost $10 on craigslist actually. But again, you miss the point.

@@Spaceboy I appreciate you, thanks for the corrections.

Jdiesel

@@Jdiesel I'm against the overcharging of anyone for anything. It's deceitful. Just charge 120$ for emby if you're going to cripple it. And my video card cost $10 on craigslist actually. But again, you miss the point.

Overcharging is subjective to the individual. You can walk, take the bus, take an Uber, or take a limo to get to your destination. All are viable options and depending on your needs and priorities can justify the difference in cost. If you don't feel the value is there for you with Emby that is fine, but trying to justify it as overcharging is not the right way to go about it. For every person who wants something for free there is another willing to pay for something they can count on working and will be supported. 

mastrmind11

and leave this "boomer" shit at the door.  this debate is more about personal preference and perception of value, neither of which are generational.

Overcharging is subjective to the individual. You can walk, take the bus, take an Uber, or take a limo to get to your destination. All are viable options and depending on your needs and priorities can justify the difference in cost. If you don't feel the value is there for you with Emby that is fine, but trying to justify it as overcharging is not the right way to go about it. For every person who wants something for free there is another willing to pay for something they can count on working and will be supported. 

Without getting into the gross separation of wealth in the world, equity, and general super-capitalism debates.. I understand completely that some people are willing to pay for Emby. My OPINION is that Emby shouldn't disable such a basic feature for those that don't. Especially when ffmpeg is responsible for it.

and leave this "boomer" shit at the door.  this debate is more about personal preference and perception of value, neither of which are generational.

wait what? you don't think that perception of value has anything to do with being born in a certain generation? Check out NPR sometime. 

Especially when ffmpeg is responsible for it.

All I'll say is your perception here is WAY off.  We didn't simply throw some switch in ffmpeg to make this work.  This was months of effort.

But, regardless, you have to make your own value judgement.  We feel we are the best value in a full-featured personal media server.