Audio Settings Preventing Playback

jeflatt

jeflatt

I'm getting this issue again where certain movies either won't play or stop after a certain amount of time. Only now everything I own is brand new (My computer is the oldest since I did a complete upgrade of everything in it last July)

TV: Roku TV, TCL model 65R625, software version 9.2.2, build 6118-88

Receiver: Dennon model AVRS750H, DTS HD Master/ DTS:X / DTS Neural:X / DTS Virtual:X / Dolby TrueHD / Dolby Atmos / Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization / Dolby Surround / Multichannel Stereo 

Emby Roku App Beta version 4.0, build 0

Computer: Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.778

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G processor

Gigabyte B450 AORUS M motherboard

Realtek® ALC892 codec

High Definition Audio

2/4/5.1/7.1-channel

Support for S/PDIF Out

I'm quite certain that this is an audio issue because when it started happening again, I went back to the original advice given to me of changing the Roku audio setting to anything that didn't say DTS. And it worked, sort of. I was hoping that with all new hardware that this problem wouldn't come up again but it did. When I say "sort of", I mean sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes switching to Dolby Digital gets it to play, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't checked every title in my library (it's over 700 titles; yes, I know I have a problem) yet, but it seems to be more and more prevalent.

Here are some examples of what I did find:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, 4K and Blu Ray, would only play with Roku set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus

When set to Dolby Digital Plus DTS or Auto Detect it stops before it starts. When set to Dolby Digital DTS it won't even finish Retrieving and causes Emby to completely freeze up

Streaming Info:

Video codec: HEVC (direct)

Audio codec: AC3 (cannot get stats for nerds on any of the DTS settings since they won't even play for a second)

Audio channels: 6

Bitrate: 53.35Mb/s

Max bitrate: Auto - 110Mb/s

Hardware accelerated: No

Transcoding progress: 1.84%

Transcoding buffer: 1.79%

Transcoding speed 11 fps (all the transcoding numbers have been changing as I typed)

Transcoding reason: Audio codec not supported

Original Media Info:

Container: MKV

Video Codec: HEVC

Video bitrate: 56.35Mb/s

Audio codec: TRUEHD

Audio bitrate: <???>

Audio channels: 8

Galaxy Quest, Blu Ray, plays for 41 seconds then stops on every possible audio setting

Streaming Info

Video codec: H264 (Direct)

Audio codec: AC3 (Direct)

Bitrate: 35.08Mb/s

Original Media Info:

Video codec: H264

Video bitrate: 34.44Mb/s

Audio codec: AC3

Audio bitrate: 640Kb/s

Adventureland, Blu Ray, only works when set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, otherwise it plays 4 seconds and stops

Streaming Info:

Video codec: H264 (direct)

Audio codec: DTS (direct) when set to Dolby Digital DTS, Dolby Digital Plus DTS, or Auto Detect

Audio codec: AC3 when set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus

Bitrate: 36.36Mb/s

Original Media Info:

Video bitrate: 34.83Mb/s

Audio codec: DTS

Audio bitrate: 1.536Mb/s

So far this issue has only been with movies ripped from Blu Rays and 4K. I don't believe I've seen it on a DVD yet.

I'm getting this issue again. Only now everything I own is brand new (My computer is the oldest since I did a complete upgrade of everything in it last July)

TV: Roku TV, TCL model 65R625, software version 9.2.2, build 6118-88

Receiver: Dennon modelAVRS750H, DTS HD Master, DTS:X / DTS Neural:X / DTS Virtual:X / Dolby TrueHD / Dolby Atmos / Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization / Dolby Surround / Multichannel Stereo 

Emby Beta version 4.0, build 0

Computer: Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.778

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G processor

Gigabyte B450 AORUS M motherboard

Realtek® ALC892 codec

High Definition Audio

2/4/5.1/7.1-channel

Support for S/PDIF Out

I'm quite certain that this is an audio issue because when it started happening again, I went back to your advice. And it worked, sort of. I was hoping that with all new hardware that this problem wouldn't come up again but it did. When I say "sort of", I mean sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes switching to Dolby Digital gets it to play, and sometimes switching it to Dolby Digital Plus DTS gets it to play. I haven't checked every title in my library (it's over 700 titles; yes, I know I have a problem)

Here are some examples of what I did find:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, 4K and Blu Ray, would only play when Roku set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus

When set to Dolby Digital Plus DTS or Auto Detect it stops before it starts. When set to Dolby Digital DTS it won't even finish Retrieving and causes Emby to completely hang up

Streaming Info:

Video codec: HEVC (direct)

Audio codec: AC3 (cannot get stats for nerds on any of the DTS settings since they won't even play for a second)

Bitrate: 53.35Mb/s

Transcoding progress: 1.84%

Transcoding buffer: 1.79%

Transcoding speed 11 fps (all the transcoding numbers have been changing as I typed)

Original Media Info:

Video Codec: HEVC

Video bitrate: 56.35Mb/s

Audio codec: TRUEHD

Audio channels: 8

Galaxy Quest, Blu Ray, plays for 41 seconds then stops on every possible audio setting

Streaming Info

Audio codec: AC3 (Direct)

Bitrate: 35.08Mb/s

Original Media Info:

Video bitrate: 34.44Mb/s

Audio bitrate: 640Kb/s

Adventureland, Blu Ray, only works when set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, otherwise it plays 4 seconds and stops

Streaming Info:

Video codec: H264 (direct)

Audio codec: DTS (direct) when set to Dolby Digital DTS, Dolby Digital Plus DTS, or Auto Detect

Audio codec: AC3 when set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus

Bitrate: 36.36Mb/s

Original Media Info:

Video bitrate: 34.83Mb/s

Audio bitrate: 1.536Mb/s

So far this issue has only been with movies ripped from Blu Rays and 4K. I don't believe I've seen it on a DVD yet.

Happy2Play
HEVC 4K encodings
Roku recommends HEVC for UHD encodings. Roku 4K devices support HEVC up to level 5.1 and bitrates up to 25Mbps.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/streaming.md

If you lower the bitrate to below 25Mbps do you get the same results?  But you can see up to 10Mbps on h264 also.  We know higher bitrates can be handle but only under specific conditions.

The Roku can be the most limiting device available.  There are several topics.

jeflatt

So I'm a little confused as to how to adjust the bitrate on movies that I can't even get started. The only way I can find to do it is to go into the settings after the movie is already playing, But I just came across something very curious while trying to figure it out. 

I was trying to get Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker to play again, and no matter what I did with any settings, the 4K version would only stream in a 1080 resolution. I've just started my 4K library so I only have two titles so far, this and Ford Vs Ferrari. This movie plays just fine; doesn't stop, full audio, and 4K resolution streaming. But no matter what i did with Star Wars, when it plays it only streams in 1080 resolution.

I've sent the Roku app log at 3:26 Eastern, and attached the server log file.

4K Movie Playback.txt

So I'm a little confused as to how to adjust the bitrate on movies that I can't even get started

You can set the quality in the app's settings menu. Please try that. Thanks.

Yes, please go to the app settings (hit the "*" on remote or click on cog at top) then Settings->Playback->Video Quality and select a quality 25 or below.

We may need to lower the default for auto on the local LAN for these devices...

jeflatt

I changed the playback to 35Mb/s as this was the second lowest setting for 4K playback. But this isn't just a 4K issue. I have two 4K movies, Star Wars and Ford Vs Ferrari. Star Wars has the problem, but Ford Vs Ferrari does not. 

Ran in to another one having issues last night trying to watch Inglorious Bastards. Here are the stats for nerds:

With Roku audio set to Dolby Digital DTS, Dolby Digital Plus DTS, Auto Passthrough, or Auto Detect:

Playback stops after 1:51

Playback Info

Model: TCL TV A108X

Play method: DirectPlay

Stream type: MKV

Streaming Info

Resolution 1920 x 1080

Audio Codec: DTS (Direct)

Audio Channels: 6

Bitrate: 32.17 Mb/s

Max bitrate: 35 Mb/s

Original Media Info

Video Codec: H264

Video bitrate: 32.17 Mb/s

With Roku audio set to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus:

Playback was fine

Playback Info

Model: TCL TV A108X

Play method: Remux

Stream type: HLS

Streaming Info

Container: TS

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Bitrate: 26.6 Mb/s

Max bitrate: 35 Mb/s

Transcoding progress: 64.62% (1:43:45) -these reached 100% by the time I finished typing)

Transcoding buffer: 64.62% (1:43:45)

Transcoding speed: 788 fps

Original Media Info

Video bitrate: 32.17 Mb/s

Inglorious Bastards Log.txt

Can you please try a quality 25 or below?  Both of the above examples are over the stated support for the device.

jeflatt

P.S. I just tried playing the movie directly on my computer using VLC Media Player. Playback was fine and was directly playing the DTS audio codec with full 5.1 surround sound output. 

In case you're wondering about how I have things set up. My computer/server is connected to the receiver via HDMI. My Roku TV is connected to my receiver via HDMI with ARC to bring the sound from the Roku back to the receiver. 

jeflatt

Well I set it to 25 Mb/s and Inglorious Bastards and Star Wars both played fine with the Roku Audio set to Auto Detect. 

My complaint with this solution is that now I can't watch movies in 4K. The lowest setting in Emby that will play 4K resolution is 30 Mb/s. To get down to 25 Mb/s I have to force it to 1080 resolution. So I can do that and sacrifice video quality, or change the Roku audio to Dolby Digital and sacrifice audio quality. Or I have to mess around with the settings for every single movie I want to watch to figure out which one will work and which one will have issues and what settings will change that. 

Now here is a strange twist. I tried setting the playback to 30 Mb/s with 4K. I played the 4K version of Star Wars. It was playing fine, but the resolution was only 1080. So from within the movie settings, I overrode the default that I had set to 30 Mb/s to the 110 Mb/s. And the movie continued to play with 4K resolution and the Roku audio set to Auto Detect and streaming at a bitrate of 48.24 Mb/s.

jeflatt

Following on the Star Wars "success", I noticed that when I overrode the default setting with the settings during movie playback, Emby remembered what I had changed it to when I went back to it. So I tried it on Adventureland (1080 resolution recording). I still had the default quality set to 4K at 30 Mb/s, and the movie stopped as usual. Stats for nerds showed the streaming bitrate at 36.36 Mb/s (the quality still showed at Auto - 110 Mb/s) . Then I played it again, and before the movie stopped I changed the quality to 1080 at 25 Mb/s.The movie played just fine with a streaming bitrate of 8.65 Mb/s.

jeflatt

Here are the logs from everything I just did. I also just realized that the playback settings are only remembered as long as you're in the Emby app. As soon as you exit the app, everything reverts back to the default.

Playback Issues Log.txt

I also just realized that the playback settings are only remembered as long as you're in the Emby app. As soon as you exit the app, everything reverts back to the default.

That is not correct if you change your settings in the actual settings page of the app.

Everything you've shown so far is confirming that the device simply cannot handle that content and it isn't spec'd to be able to so we will need to adjust our defaults.

Thanks.