Too Many Errors. Moving On...

rsaxman

There should have been a couple of ffmpeg logs as well.  The Roku really doesn't like that item.  Have you tried a simple re-mux on it?

Happy2Play

I just blew it off but ran into this exact issue on LOTR Collection last week, selected Play All within the Collection and at the end the app sort of went crazy trying to load another item then finally errored out. But it only happened on that Collection that we noticed.

I have the same issue for my Return of the King 1080 blu-ray rip that combines part 1 and 2 (mkvtoolnix).

Mine is h264, though, not hevc.

I don't have any issues with the other two movies from the same blu-ray set or anything else I've combined with mkvtoolnix.

Weird.

Edited by roaku

Happy2Play

So everyone appeasr to be referencing the exact same movie for this issue, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King (2003) (4h 1m)  

KiwiBean
16 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So everyone appeasr to be referencing the exact same movie for this issue, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King (2003) (4h 1m)  

As odd as it sounds, could this be related to the length of the film?  I have 2 movies over 4 hours long and both throw this error.  All my other movies are under 4 hours, and none of them have this problem.

The Roku device has a setting called "bandwidth saver" which prompts the user after 4 hours of inactivity.  I've checked whether changing this setting has any effect on the error, and sadly it does not.  Still, perhaps the device is reporting back something related to this to Emby Server and causing a hiccup.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

That was my thoughts, if it only happens on these extremely long movies.  Is this 4 hour limit affecting things?

By the way, I can get playback (DirectPlay) if I switch to one of the commentary tracks.

It fails if I select the original ac3 (sorry, it's actually DTS) or the fallback aac track I encode from the original.

Edited by roaku

KiwiBean

Do you guys only get the error when the "Convert Multi-channel AAC" option is set to "Yes"?

That's the case for me.  When i set that to "No", the error goes away and those 4+ hours movies play fine.

Seems like the issue is triggered by the movie length and any need for ffmpeg to transcode ... direct stream bypassing ffmpeg works fine.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
Just now, KiwiBean said:

Do you guys only get the error when the "Convert Multi-channel AAC" option is set to "Yes"?

That's the case for me.  When i set that to "No", the error goes away and those 4+ hours movies play fine.

Seems like the issue is triggered by the movie length and any need for ffmpeg to transcode ... direct stream bypassing ffmpeg works fine.

Have not done any testing but it is highly possible as this specific media is h264/aac 5.1/mp4.

16 minutes ago, KiwiBean said:

Well, things just got more interesting.

I turned off multi-chanel AAC....and now I can get DirectPlay playback with the original 7 channel DTS passed through. No more errors.

The multi-channel AAC fallback also works now, but obviously it's just stereo thanks to Roku's licensing curmudgeonliness.

So, I have a workaround for the next time I want to watch the LOTR trilogy...which is never that far off. :)

Edited by roaku

KiwiBean

I combed through my movie library again and found a 3rd movie over 4 hours long.  Same issue. 

Neither the container (MP4/MKV) nor video code (HEVC/H264) seem to matter.  The issue seems to be triggered by any 4+ hour duration needing ffmpeg transcoding for some reason (in my case, always AAC 5.1 --> AC3).

The only catch I see with what you're saying is that in my case, the DTS should be getting passed through for DirectPlay.

I'm *not* triggering transcoding, or at least, I shouldn't be. But I'm still getting the 'too many errors' ( unless I turn off multi-channel aac, which somehow makes the DTS passthrough start working normally).

I did just remember that part 2 of this rip had weird subtitle behavior. Handbrake burned in English subtitles for some reason, even though the settings were only to burn in 'foreign' subtitles.

I had to go back and redo the encode to work around it.

Hmm

KiwiBean
16 minutes ago, roaku said:

The only catch I see with what you're saying is that in my case, the DTS should be getting passed through for DirectPlay.

I'm *not* triggering transcoding, or at least, I shouldn't be. But I'm still getting the 'too many errors' ( unless I turn off multi-channel aac, which somehow makes the DTS passthrough start working normally).

From what I can see in the logs ffmpeg never gets kicked off, so I don't think there is any actual transcoding happening that throws the error.  I'm guessing the code that compares the device and file data to decide if transcoding is necessary has a condition that throws the error.  Maybe the multi-channel AAC conversion logic is only looking for the presence of an AAC 5.1 audio stream, and ignores any others if it finds one.

11 minutes ago, roaku said:

I did just remember that part 2 of this rip had weird subtitle behavior. Handbrake burned in English subtitles for some reason, even though the settings were only to burn in 'foreign' subtitles.

I had to go back and redo the encode to work around it.

Hmm

Check out the thread below which I started, and now believe to be a duplicate of this one.  In that thread I mention some odd behavior I had where this issue was triggered in normally good movies (i.e. under 3 hours), if i tried to play them with subtitles after first having encountered this issue on a 4+ hour movie.  Seems like the initial failure on 4+ hour file is cached somewhere and affects all other AAC 5.1 movies if you try to play them with subtitles in the same client session.  If you exit the client app and go back in, this subtitle issue goes away.

Edited by KiwiBean

KrakaClue
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log as well? Thanks.

Hi there, I checked the log files but there is no "ffmpeg-transcode-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.txt" file around that time, as if from the server side the stream never started.

KrakaClue
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

yes sure, only with Roku devices.  I can leave it separate (as part1 and part2) but than I don't know how to handle multiple versions such as:

MovieA (1990) - part1 (is the 1080p version)

MovieA (1990) - part2 (is the 1080p version)

MovieA (1990) - 4k

MovieA (1990) - extended

So far, both options seems impossible to implement. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Have you considered joining the part1 and part2 files? That's what i would suggest for the best possible experience.

KrakaClue
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Have you considered joining the part1 and part2 files? That's what i would suggest for the best possible experience.

Yes I have, the whole argument of this thread originates from the fact that if you merge parts with tools like MKVtoolnix then Roku fail.

Happy2Play

I believe we have determined it is a 4hr+ issue so, you have to sit through these extremely long movies to see it.  But appears to have something to do with Multi channel AAC also.

Happy2Play

Does it still happen if Roku app setting Are you still watching is disabled?

It has been mentioned that "bandwidth saver" doesn't have any affect but is Roku's version of Are you still watching.

It isn't just 4H issue as I have also seen it with The Two Towers which is 3H55M.

Funny thing is that Fellowship does work and it's from the same encoder.

Happy2Play

This may be a tough one to find with having to troubleshoot long movies.  As that appears to be the common denominator.

But haven't really had the time to test this.

KrakaClue
8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Does it still happen if Roku app setting Are you still watching is disabled?

It has been mentioned that "bandwidth saver" doesn't have any affect but is Roku's version of Are you still watching.

I will try this option later

7 hours ago, lorac said:

It isn't just 4H issue as I have also seen it with The Two Towers which is 3H55M.

Funny thing is that Fellowship does work and it's from the same encoder.

I confirm that with Fellowship of the ring sometimes work, in particular if I uncheck subtitles. Original blurays are from the same Bluray collection and I converted them in mkv using the same tool (same configurations).

It might be the length of the manifest. Sometimes when you segment the pieces invariably the manifest will have really long urls. Especially when the file is long in length. Maybe that is what this is? We had the issue with too long of urls used inside the manifest before.

The problem does not happen with direct play. This problem happens when ffmpeg becomes involved hence the 4 hours and long urls becoming a suspect again.

Edited by speechles