Emby user integration Organizr V2

Skrumpy

Skrumpy

Why doesn't Emby support user integration in Organzr V2? It looks like the functionality was removed last year with promise of some sort of new method. Was that changed?

Having a front-end for sever management so users can request movies (Ombi), access Emby and other server options all in one place makes sense. It's much more convenient than having to have multiple logins/accounts for all of the different interfaces and it is logical to have all of this stem from the Emby user account.

Any update on this?

5ea45b6003f55_Capture.jpg

• Like 2

What do you mean by not support user integration? That could mean anything. What are you trying to do?

Skrumpy

What do you mean by not support user integration? That could mean anything. What are you trying to do?

Hey Luke, I believe causefx (Organizr author) explained it better than I could in the thread linked above (quotes below), but to piggyback off of that, I am looking for Organizr to manage (link) the logins of all of these (Sonarr, Radarr, Ombi, Emby, etc) apps, so server users can access with a single login (Emby) and don't need a new Organizr login. Users then only need to remember 1 URL (Organizr) to be able to access that portal to request (Ombi) and help manage (Radarr/Sonarr, etc) if they have those permissions.

This works for all of the other apps and worked for Emby for quite some time, but according to the response previously it was removed because no Emby apps used the functionality.

It’s for allowing use of authenticating Emby user accounts with Emby Connect accounts locally. Our app Organizr allows logging in locally via emby local Api or emby connect api... we query that endpoint to tie it together with the data we get from Emby connect Api.

As far as my app goes, it just creates an SSO using EmbyConnect accts as the backend. So “Admins” can use emby kind of like LDAP. allowing users to manage their own passwords etc....

No, no account creation at all. Say you the Admin has your Emby instance up. You add me as a user and tie my embyConnect acct to it. You can now login into Organizr using my EmbyConnect acct.

5ea479a44a3c0_organizr.png

Couldn't they do the user management against the local Emby server user API rather than Emby Connect? That should have all of the features you need.

• 1 month later...
fr0z3n

Hi,

Just to continue this thread as i have the same query...

You can use Emby accounts to log in to Organizr, this is working fine (this is what Organizr calls Authentication). 

The issue is, when you are within Organizr, when you open up the Emby tab you are presented with the Emby login screen instead of being automatically logged into Emby (this is what Organizr calls Single Sign On)

For other apps, such as Ombi, Plex, Tatuli, when you click on their respective tabs you are automatically logged into each app when the page loads using the organizr credentials you logged in with.

SSO works for all other apps, such as Ombi, Plex and Tatulli. It does not work for Emby.

In the SSO settings screen, there are settings to configure Ombi, Plex, Tatulli but NOT Emby. I am not too sure why (whether its a missing setting or the fact that Emby no longer supports it so the organizr dev dropped the settings)

Thanks

Edited by fr0z3n

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
CloudWing93

causefx re-enabled this feature with the latest release. He ended up switching to using the connect username for the connection. I guess he realized that after a year of waiting the emby team to release the "new" auth stuff that they probably aren't going to release it any time soon so he patched it to work what currently is available.

CloudWing93
26 minutes ago, fr0z3n said:

Which release are you referring to? What's the release version? I'm on 2.1.0 develop and can't see it. Thanks

Maybe it's only in the stable build? 

Screenshot 2020-10-02 172416.png

fr0z3n

Hey thanks for posting but I think you are mistaken.

What you are referring to is back end authentication now supporting Emby Connect. In other words, you can use your emby connect credentials to log into Organizr. 

From what I can tell in both develop and prod Organizr, is that organizr still does NOT support using emby (either emby connect or local accounts) for single sign on.

In other words, even though Organizr allows you to use your emby credentials to log into Organizr (back end authentication) it does NOT allow you then to seamlessly traverse to the emby tab and be automatically logged in based on the credentials you typed into log in to organizr (organizr refers to this as SSO). 

The only services that support SSO in organizr as far as I can tell is Plex, Ombi and Tatulli. 

This means that when I log into Organizr I am automatically logged into Plex Ombi and Tatulli tabs so when I click on those tabs in never asked to log in to those services. 

Since organizr does not yet support Emby via SSO, this means when I click the Emby link I will always be asked to authenticate (except of course if I previously logged in and my browser cached the login) 

Let me know if this makes sense or if you disagree? 

Thanks. 

CloudWing93
1 hour ago, fr0z3n said:

What you are referring to is back end authentication now supporting Emby Connect. In other words, you can use your emby connect credentials to log into Organizr. 

I see what you mean. You are right about the single sign on part. I didn't connect those dots with your previous post. I was mostly posting in regards to the OP's comments as those were resolved with latest update allowing emby connect as an authentication backend.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the delay on this. We had to put this project on hold in favor of other development, but we are hoping to be able to pick it up again in the near future. Without giving away all of the details, what we have as a goal is something that will solve the original goal of Emby Connect (locating your server), but without the dual username/password confusion that we currently have now, which often trips people up.

• 2 weeks later...
AciDCooL

Heya sorry for barging in this thread, has been dead for a little while. And I don't need any details, for the mechanism. My question is more like; Will it include the ability for third party apps to pass the requested Auth back to Emby?

I ask this because I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "Emby connect dual username confusion" but seems to me that you are talking about local usernames vs embyconnect usernames. Where in the OP is asking for SSO from third party sources, which has the benefit to eliminate the double logins when using awesome front ends like Causefx's Organizr app. 

Tbf this has been on my list for at least 3 years now, and I had a weak moment just looking at plex in combination with organizr for SSO just for better user experience. But Emby is where my heart is. And if it is only 1 extra login I still can live with that, but sometimes have to remind friends and family that they didn't type their passwords in wrong, it's just normal to have a double authentication, once for Organizr and then again for Emby. (They always look at me funny)

Bit weird though from a programmer standpoint giving the option to use Emby's internal users and password to a thirdparty app and then not have the option to login to Emby from that same thirdparty that just requested a login.

Hope this all makes sense and sorry for my rambling, this has been on my mind for a while, and venting is sometimes good for the soul :) Still love all the work you do and Emby has given me countless nights of streaming pleasure. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Acid,

Emby is obviously lagging behind other apps like Plex/Ombi/Tatulli in this space which have supported SSO in Organizr for a few years now.

Agree Emby is otherwise a fantastic product.

We'll just have to keep sitting tight and hope they can introduce something soon in the SSO space as promised over the years!

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, Luke said:

I apologize for the delay on this. We had to put this project on hold in favor of other development, but we are hoping to be able to pick it up again in the near future. Without giving away all of the details, what we have as a goal is something that will solve the original goal of Emby Connect (locating your server), but without the dual username/password confusion that we currently have now, which often trips people up.

Hey Luke, any update on this? Do you know if the system you're mentioning will be usable in other applications? Even Jellyfin has SSO. I personally like Emby, but my friends/family are not techie and making it as easy for them as possible to login and interface everything (Ombi/Organizr) and get what they need would be extremely helpful. I spend a lot of time trying to make it easy and seamless for them. Emby's lack of interoperability is a longstanding frustration in this regard.

In web reviews, Emby's 'user experience' is dinged in comparison to Plex and I don't see why that has to be the case. Sure more server customization = increased complexity for the admin, but that shouldn't be passed on to the user. Would love to see this become more of a focus. Appreciate the efforts and looking forward to seeing what you guys have been cooking up.

image.png.0ac4e9935ef4a94ff784f4f381f0bec6.png

• 3 months later...
CloudWing93
22 minutes ago, Axachi said:

+1 , any news her ?? Let's add the SSO API so we can add it in Organizr..

I agree this would be a sweet feature but I’d like to point out that the original post actually isn’t about Emby adding the ability to use other services for SSO but rather about organizr having the ability to let people login to organizr using their Emby connect credentials. Also this isn’t the feature request forum so if you want it implemented your should post it there.

• 4 weeks later...
Axachi

I Know I was yust wishing for it :P I have the same problem for all my tabs. The do not autologin at all :P witch is me not figuring out revers prosxy part or somthing. But that's a different story. 

But does it work now in Organizr or not? I import all my Emby user. I have added Emby as a tab. When I click this tab I have to login to emby again.  

Edited by Axachi

• 5 months later...
AciDCooL

Sorry to revive this old topic, is there any update on this? Maybe some progres, or that is even on the roadmap? Know the pandemic hit everyone hard and priorities shift. But SSO is still a very welcome feature for all of us hosting this instance with alternative frontend's. 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

+1 To this, SSO would be a great feature to have. There is a Feature Request for this to upvote? Maybe we need to create one so the devs could get this on his radar.

• Agree 1

• 11 months later...