Get Everything off of DVDs

Marlitenous

Marlitenous

What's the best way to get everything (full movie, sub titles, extras) off of a DVD?

I'm currently using HandBrake, which can mostly get any movie off the DVD. I can get the extras off as well, but it's pretty tedious to find the correct videos. I'm not sure how to get subtitles off of DVDs.

Anyone have suggestions for tools that make this as easy as possible?

PenkethBoy

MakeMkv can read dvd's also and then save the videos with or without subs (user settings)

mastrmind11

What's the best way to get everything (full movie, sub titles, extras) off of a DVD?

I'm currently using HandBrake, which can mostly get any movie off the DVD. I can get the extras off as well, but it's pretty tedious to find the correct videos. I'm not sure how to get subtitles off of DVDs.

Anyone have suggestions for tools that make this as easy as possible?

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/%EF%BB%BFhow-to-rip-your-dvds-blu-rays-effortlessly-with-makemkv/

rbjtech

I guess key question here is what you are trying to achieve by doing this.

With DVD's being Standard Definition and using old MPEG2 codec's - yes you can encapsulate this all in an MKV file without re-encoding - but the resulting file won't be 'stream friendly' (codec, subtitles etc sound will probably be ok if you have an AC3/DTS receiver) with most modern hardware and each 'rip' could take up to 9Gbyte.  For such a 'low quality' copy (by todays standards) that is a lot of effort to go to imo.

If you wish to just have an 'on-line' copy of your DVD's and are happy with that - then it's probably better to consider converting to h264/h265 - not only saving considerable disk space, but along with AAC sound and text based based subtitles this will be much more in-line with todays streaming/playback standards.

For me personally h264 is still the way to go - h265 is too immature to spend a lot of time converting your library to - especially as royalty free codecs such as AV1/VP9 are gaining adoption by all the big players.

Just remux them all with MakeMKV. You can convert later if you want, but makemkv puts them in nice, clean, individual episode and bonus feature files