Mark Played Icon

Sofasogud

Sofasogud

Hi, I’ve been using Emby for about a month now and love it since moving from Plex. Plex is more polished I’m not going to lie but Emby is built around its users and I’d rather my monthly subscription go somewhere I know it’ll be well spent. Hopefully with some fresh eyes on the apps I use, (which are already really great looking) I can add some request to how it can be polished.

So with that, my first request would be about the ‘mark played’ button you get when you are on a film or a tv season or episode. 

Across the iOS and tvOS, UI you get the green tick to show its watched, or a green circle with a number to show the number of episodes you’ve got left to watch. If you select a season or film, you have a mark played button. If you want to mark it as played on iOS you get a red tick, (why red?) and in tvOS you don’t get an indication that anything has happened until you move off the ‘mark watched’ button to see that it’s red.

I’d suggest this be inline with the rest of the UI and be a bold green tick either for the icon (if that’s possible) or the text for the icon alternates between ‘mark all as played’ if there are episodes unwatched, or ‘mark all as unplayed’ if everything has been watched. With the latter suggestion, the indication would then be on a green tick icon on the tv or movie poster. 

Thanks again for the awesome work you guys are doing. Loving Emby life so far!

post-614342-0-27982900-1587806288_thumb.png

Edited by Sofasogud
  • Like 1

Hi.  The Red color is often used in many interfaces to indicate an option is "activated" so we use that in these button/toggle situations. 

If you want to mark it as played on iOS you get a red tick, (why red?) and in tvOS you don’t get an indication that anything has happened until you move off the ‘mark watched’ button to see that it’s red.

It sounds like you enabled different color themes, right? Because if you use the same theme on all devices then it will be consistent.

Sofasogud

It sounds like you enabled different color themes, right? Because if you use the same theme on all devices then it will be consistent.

Hi Luke,

Yes I use the Apple TV theme across all of them. I’m not really looking for consistency but it to be more obvious what the button will do when you click it.

If the tick is red, the button still says mark played rather than unplayed, and across the interface it’s the only time the colour red is used.

Well the button just says "Played", not "Mark Played". So the word Played by itself along with the icon color indicates the current state of the toggle, as opposed to an action such as "mark played" would be. Does that answer your question?

Sofasogud

Ah yes it does just say played. Still, the red tick is still out of place in all themes apart from 1. I just think this is something that would make emby look a little more polished.

That is just kind of a standard color for an activated option.  Most interfaces I've seen use red to indicate that a toggle is engaged so we just do this so it is immediately recognizable.  it is also a color that stands out on almost any background.

daedalus

if, it should be the color schemes main color

but be sure this won't change, the first statement already killed it

Edited by daedalus

We could change this per theme settings but my concern would be that it has to be obvious in all contexts which is selected and which isn't - that's why remaining a consistent color is good because then, there is no doubt.

Sofasogud

Basically, he thinks the tick mark should turn Emby Green, not red.

Pretty much yes. It's just out of place being red. It doesn't matter if it's red on every other platform, it's still out of place on every other platform. It's also the button on tvOS. When you click it, you don't get any feedback that you have changed anything. It's not until you move of the 'played' button you can see if the tick is red or not. 

The reason I gave the feedback is because I've moved from Plex which has a very polished UI and things like this stick out. I'm not being picky or it's not that I don't appreciate Emby, I do. But...

Over at Plex there are loads of people slowly getting fed of paying for a plex pass but are sticking around because of their UI. I've jumped because the community at Emby is better, and the features people are asking Plex for, are already in Emby. Plex doesn't even have plug-ins anymore!

If I can point out these things the community is already used to, hopefully they'll be changed in an update, Emby will become more polished and more and more users will start to move and they'll feel better about where their hard on £5 goes.

• Like 1