Qnap and Transcoding

psmale

psmale

Have a TVS-682T. Qnap if I put a GTX-1050Ti. GPU in it will Emby server make use of it for on the fly transcoding ?

HI, we haven't tested this exact scenario but we do support nvidia-based hardware transcoding so in theory, yes.

PenkethBoy

you will also need to ensure the nvidia drivers are loaded on the qnap

see qnap forum on how to check etc

• Like 1

raven-au

Have a TVS-682T. Qnap if I put a GTX-1050Ti. GPU in it will Emby server make use of it for on the fly transcoding ?

You will not be able to use the Nvidia card with the Plex server if it is installed as a QTS app.

You won't be able to use it with a VM either if Virtualization Station doesn't list the card as assignable to VM's.

Because you have a NAS with an Intel CPU and so Intel graphics you won't be able to assign the card to QTS therefore the Plex server native app won't be able to use it.

Even if you have the ability to install a graphics card in the QNAP there's no guarantee Virtualization Station will allow you to assign it to a VM.

I have a TVS-682N and it won't allow me to assign it to a VM, it just doesn't list it.

I have logged two calls about it, the first one they said it would be fixed in the next release and that was three releases ago, the second claimed it couldn't be used with other than a Windows VM (rubhish, the TS-877 works just fine with Linux), after explaining I wanted to use it with a Windows 10 VM they said they will have to investigate, that's a couple of weeks ago.

So months after getting and logging the call no progress whatsoever.

Hopefully you will be able to use the card in VS with your model NAS, you won't be able to use it in QTS mode.

Ian

Edited by raven-au

raven-au

On the up side of things the Intel HD Graphics 630 is pretty capable so transoding shouldn't be too much of a problem except for UHD HDR but that has other problems too so doesn't make a lot of difference since I believe those same problems would exist with the Nvidia also.

psmale

Thanks was hoping to use it with Emby.   But if it dose not work I can use a older games PC with windows.   It was only 100.00 so it it dose not work no big deal.

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
shdwkeeper

My QNAP has a i3-8100T (UHD Graphics 630 - Intel) CPU in it, does Emby automatically pick this up for hardware transcoding?  All I see under advanced settings is VAAPI.

How do I enable Intel Quicksync on the Qnap and disable VAAPI?

My QNAP has a i3-8100T (UHD Graphics 630 - Intel) CPU in it, does Emby automatically pick this up for hardware transcoding?  All I see under advanced settings is VAAPI.

How do I enable Intel Quicksync on the Qnap and disable VAAPI?

It does, with VAAPI.

• 11 months later...
zhuzhe

I am using GTX 1050 Ti with TS-873 (AMD Embedded R-Series RX-421ND without vega )

GPU is set to working under QTS mode

QTS supports multiple graphics cards for transcoding. (For applications such as HD Station, Linux Station, and KoiMeeter, only one application can use the HDMI local display at a time. Expansion card resources will be exclusive to that application.)

Emby can't use hardware trancoding for all media file. Can anyone help?

Here is the hardware detection log below

hardware_detection-63755414417.txt

On 4/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, zhuzhe said:

I am using GTX 1050 Ti with TS-873 (AMD Embedded R-Series RX-421ND without vega )

GPU is set to working under QTS mode

Emby can't use hardware trancoding for all media file. Can anyone help?

Here is the hardware detection log below

hardware_detection-63755414417.txt 122.11 kB · 0 downloads

Hi there @zhuzhe, what happens when you try to use hardware transcoding? Please attach the main emby server log as well. thanks !