Why is Internet connection required when using local emby server?

cmh31909

Emby works fine for me on my Rokus when the internet's out.

pwhodges
15 hours ago, Midaz said:

Is it possible to use emby on a local network (without internet connection ). ? 

Example i have a raspberry pi connected with a hard drive ( media files on hard drive ) - i would like that people connected to this network use the emby client ( no internet ) and perform play back on it 

The Emby server and clients check the Premiere status across the Internet - this is done because there is a count of the number of device permitted under Premiere, and as multiple servers are allowed no single local server can be sure to have the information.

However, the information is cached for up to a week (in the server - clients may vary I suspect), so operation during Internet outages should normally continue unaffected.

The Internet is not involved in the actual streaming of data from the server to local clients (unless the client is linked to the server by domain name which requires a DNS lookup).

Paul

6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

The Emby server and clients check the Premiere status across the Internet - this is done because there is a count of the number of device permitted under Premiere, and as multiple servers are allowed no single local server can be sure to have the information.

However, the information is cached for up to a week (in the server - clients may vary I suspect), so operation during Internet outages should normally continue unaffected.

The Internet is not involved in the actual streaming of data from the server to local clients (unless the client is linked to the server by domain name which requires a DNS lookup).

Paul

If you are not using live TV or any other Premiere feature then this won't be needed either.  The app should work without internet.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

If you are not using live TV or any other Premiere feature then this won't be needed either.  The app should work without internet.

Example can users connected on emby client ( android devices = smartphones   & emby teather = windows).   Reproduce videos on it !!? 

21 hours ago, Midaz said:

Example can users connected on emby client ( android devices = smartphones   & emby teather = windows).   Reproduce videos on it !!? 

This thread is about the Roku app and it would function completely without internet if no Premiere features were needed.

For some of the other platforms, if they require Premiere, then some periodic internet connection will be required.

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix