Thumbnail Generator doesnt work.

livtyler
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

livtyler

Hi all having an issue with emby generating episode images, and I can see this error related to it. Thanks for the help.

2020-04-22 22:04:56.454 Error ChapterImagesTask: Error creating thumbnails for smb://10.2.x.xx/Multimedia/tv/Avenue 5/Season 1/Avenue 5 - S01E01 - I Was Flying WEBDL-1080p.mkv
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.5.0.6
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.96
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Runtime: file:///opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    System.Environment.Version: 3.1.2
    Processor count: 10
    Program data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.NotSupportedException: System.NotSupportedException: Stream does not support writing.
     at System.IO.StreamHelpers.ValidateCopyToArgs(Stream source, Stream destination, Int32 bufferSize)
     at System.IO.Stream.CopyTo(Stream destination, Int32 bufferSize)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CopyFileUsingStreams(String source, String target, Boolean overwrite)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CopyFile(String source, String target, Boolean overwrite)
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.ThumbnailGenerator.CreateThumbnailSet(Video item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, Int32 width, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.ThumbnailGenerator.CreateThumbnailSets(Video item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.ThumbnailGenerator.RefreshThumbnailImages(Video item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, IDirectoryService directoryService, List`1 chapters, Boolean extractImages, Boolean saveChapters, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void ValidateCopyToArgs(System.IO.Stream, System.IO.Stream, Int32)

I dont think its a permission issue, and I cant think what else it could be, ive started pulling my hair out.

• Solution

Hi, ok yes this is currently not supported with the smb protocol. Here's what you can do:

Mount the smb share (smb://10.2.x.xx/Multimedia) to a local share using the tools in the OS to do that. Then add the local path to Emby library setup instead of the smb network share. 

Please see if that helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

livtyler

I feel pretty dumb, when I first installed Emby I set it with SMB but then mounted the content via NFS, but didnt replace the location in emby.