Ubiquiti UniFi Thoughts and Questions

BAlGaInTl

Sammy

FWIW I have cloud access enabled, for support when my wife is working from home and I'm in the office. She likes to complain about her VPN connection dropping constantly, so I'm able to send her a screen shot of her laptop's wifi connection strength and prove it's not _my_ network that's the problem [emoji14]

The Unifi mobile app is very nice too, btw.

Before a month ago I was out of the house commuting and working more hours than I was home. Remote access is essential for the same reason you state. I like using the mobile app even when home because I don't have to run to the office if something comes up.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

FWIW I have cloud access enabled, for support when my wife is working from home and I'm in the office.  She likes to complain about her VPN connection dropping constantly, so I'm able to send her a screen shot of her laptop's wifi connection strength and prove it's not _my_ network that's the problem  :P

The Unifi mobile app is very nice too, btw.

Before a month ago I was out of the house commuting and working more hours than I was home. Remote access is essential for the same reason you state. I like using the mobile app even when home because I don't have to run to the office if something comes up.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I set up the VPN last night.  The L2TP was much easier to setup and connect to than my old OpenVPN setup. Especially since the ability to connect is built in to Android and Windows.  I'll use the VPN to remotely administer the server if I need to.  I will have to set up a "wife-proof" icon on her devices for her to connect and provide some OJT. Windows should be easy enough, but I will have to find a clever way in Android to add it to the notification shade quick options, or create a simple shortcut using a widget.   

I did also install the Unifi Mobile app.  The information is great, and works when I connect to VPN.  I just wish you could manage the controller from it rather than just view details.  The controller web application seems to be responsive to  the mobile web browser though, so it actually works pretty well.  

I'll keep digging, but so far, I'm very impressed with the Unifi gear and applications.  Hopefully, Ubiquiti will support Wireguard on the USG in the near future.

mastrmind11

I'll keep digging, but so far, I'm very impressed with the Unifi gear and applications.  Hopefully, Ubiquiti will support Wireguard on the USG in the near future.

You can set up wireguard on it, but it requires some serious config file kung fu.  Theres a pretty detailed how-to if you google for it, just not something i've wanted to waste a weekend on.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

You can set up wireguard on it, but it requires some serious config file kung fu.  Theres a pretty detailed how-to if you google for it, just not something i've wanted to waste a weekend on.

Yeah... I found those, and thought to myself... maybe not yet.  I bet that eventually it will make it's way to the official feature set.  Especially now that it's reached 1.0 status on Linux.

The built in VPN works fine for my use case at the moment, with a maximum of 2 remote users, but probably rarely at the same time.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

jaycedk

Hmm all this talk, makes me want to smash my old asus router, and buy new gear  ;)

• Like 2

BAlGaInTl

Hmm all this talk, makes me want to smash my old asus router, and buy new gear  ;)

I've wanted to do that for a while....

My old setup worked fine for routing/wifi.... but every time I wanted some extra feature, it got me thinking.

BAlGaInTl

To put it in perspective....

What does a decent consumer 3 AP mesh system cost?

Eero Pro: $399

Google: $350

Orbi: $350

Linksys Velop: $399

Synology: $480 (a decent amount better than consumer level)

Given that... getting a full Unif setup for $390 was a no brainer.  I highly recommend it for those who are a bit nerdy and technically inclined.  Of course it would have been a bit closer to the cost of the Synology (which I also considered) if I wasn't able to find all the components as open box.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Also a big fan of the UniFi iOS app

But then you would have to use iOS.

:D

(but seriously... nothing against iOS... just not my OS of choice)

Spaceboy

But then you would have to use iOS.

(but seriously... nothing against iOS... just not my OS of choice)

yeah I prefer my apps functional and free from viruses [emoji12]
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

yeah I prefer my apps functional and free from viruses [emoji12]

Ironically... iOS is the "consumer router" version of OSes.  

It works reliably, and looks good.  But you can't really customize it beyond what the manufacturer intended.  There's a lot of things missing compared to other OSes, but 99% of users won't notice or care.

Spaceboy

Ironically... iOS is the "consumer router" version of OSes.

It works reliably, and looks good. But you can't really customize it beyond what the manufacturer intended. There's a lot of things missing compared to other OSes, but 99% of users won't notice or care.

wouldn’t disagree with anything you’ve said there. If only counter it by saying when I first got into iPhones, 3GS, Apple was the only smartphone game in town. Over the last 10-15 years things have changed a lot. And back with the 3GS and probably right up to 6 I jailbroke and hot loads of additional functionality. But one by one Apple added the jail broken functions and the need was eliminated. Completely made out of the question when I wanted my work email on my personal iPhone and that made some of the [emoji1992] stuff I was doing just impossible. And now I’m so ingrained n the Apple ecosystem it would be very difficult to change. I occasionally look at the odd android phone and think that looks nice but overall I’m still very happy with what I have
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

How are you liking the setup? Do you notice any improvement in coverage, speed or stability? 

I'm itching to pick up a UAP-AC-Pro and move my UAP-AC-LR over to IoT duty only. 

Spaceboy

How are you liking the setup? Do you notice any improvement in coverage, speed or stability?

I'm itching to pick up a UAP-AC-Pro and move my UAP-AC-LR over to IoT duty only.

would you expect that to be quicker? I also have the long range model and was wondering this

Jdiesel

The 3x3 MIMO antenna in the Pro over the 2x2 in the LR would be my biggest reason to upgrade. I don't now how much of a real world difference it would make but that is my justification.

The way it was explained in a Youtube video I watched was that MIMO is like lanes of traffic on a highway, The speed limit of the traffic is limited by laws but if you add more lanes in each direction you can move more vehicles (data) during the same amount of time.

Edited by Jdiesel

Sammy

I have two UAP-AC Pros.. One downstairs in the office, say Left Rear of the house but pretty central to the property/backyard and the other upstairs on a high wall on the other side of the front bedroom that is over the vaulted ceiling at the entryway. Did someone say full coverage? 2,700 sf house on a 10,000 sf lot with full coverage..

Jdiesel

Slightly off topic but does anyone run a 10Gbe home network? 

mastrmind11

I believe @Doofus does.  One other regular around here too.  Search for it, there are a few topics on here about it.

maegibbons

Yes. Partially. Between NAS and two core switches.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

Jdiesel

My wired network is pretty minimal right now. My server, a handful of Shield TVs, and a laptop docking station in my office. I would really like to improve the speeds between my docking station and my server as I do some content creation and I can saturate the link to my server when reading and writing to my SSD scratch drives. Problem is my laptop, Surface Book 2, has limited options for a 10GBe adapter. 

Sammy

Seems @Doofus is no more?

I went back to a thread I know he posted in and his posts say:

Guest_asrequested_*

BAlGaInTl

I'm liking it a lot.  Mostly the nerd in me.  Lots of stuff to do/discover.

The speed and coverage is really not much different.

I reduced my number of AP by one.  I did have 4x Google OnHub in a mesh.  I'm pretty sure I could get the same coverage out of 2 UniFi AP if I really wanted to, but I'm happy I got 3 to be safe.  Otherwise, I would spend a lot of time tweaking the placement.

Speed was never really an issue.  All of my devices that need the speed are wired on the network.  The WiFi is for IOT/phones/laptop web browsing and other non critical devices.

My next trick will probably be to move some of my IOT stuff on to it's own VLAN now that I can.

MRobi

Real world experience you won't notice a difference. I'm all in on Unifi equipment. I've got a UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-Lite and a UAP-AC-M-Pro. I'll probably grow a 3rd arm from all the WiFi in my house LOL.

I also run 10Gbe from my UDM-Pro to my switch, then 10Gbe from the switch to my FreeNAS server. I debated running Cat 7 through the house but I decided to just go with Cat 6 instead. I'm placing my bets on 5G and future wireless technology outpacing 10Gbe wired over the next 5-10 years.

My only sticking point right now is that the UDM-Pro doesn't sync at 2.5Gb so I'm forced to keep my ISP's router, although over on the UI boards an employee has come out and said 2.5 is on their roadmap! :D :D

lightsout

Hey guys thought maybe someone here could help. I added a second AP since I moved into a new home. So I had a AP-AC-lite and now I added a pro.

The lite was setup as stand alone. I installed the controller on my win 10 server but for the life of me can't connect to it through the iOS app.

I just want to direct connect don't care about remote. But over my lan if I select the ip of the server in the app the connection times out. If I select the "smart" method and let it decide how to connect it fails at something about SDP.

Is there some settings in Windows firewall I need to change? I just use an old Netgear router nothing fancy.

I ended up just doing the second AP as stand alone with the same SSID, seems to be working fine so far but I wanted to get the controller running.

EDIT## Started over, reset the AP's and have the controller up and running. Going to look into now the advantages of the USG.

Edited by lightsout

rbjtech

The main plus of the Unifi AP's is it's reliability on the connections - I have not had to reboot mine for 6 months and only then for a firmware update vs my ISP supplied router/ap, that thing had to be rebooted at least once a week. 

Remember all AP's need to conform to the same transmission power levels by law, so although the antenna might be a bit better, ultimately, it's placement and the wireless technology that will improve speed.