Trakt overwriting Continue Watching for TV episodes (but not movies)

mhendu

mhendu

I've had this problem for months now - when I watch a TV episode and do not finish the episode it sits in Continue Watching until the Trakt plugin Import playstates task runs. Once that task executes it removes the TV episode from Continue Watching. If I disable this task this behavior doesn't occur, and this only happens for TV episodes, not movies.

Log attached. Any idea how I might fix this behavior?

I'm currently on Emby 4.5.0.6 beta, but this has been occurring on every version of Emby that I've had installed for about six months now. I'm using Trakt plugin 3.4.4.0.

mhendu

Hi, if it's syncing data from Trakt, isn't that what it's supposed to do?

It's syncing incorrectly - if I'm in the middle of an episode, stop watching it, and then the task runs, it decides that I haven't seen the episode (I think) and marks it as unwatched instead of retaining the last play position. It only does this for TV episodes for some reason. I can get around this by just disabling this task, but I don't think I should have to do that as I lose the sync of watched states from Kodi, for example - it should recognize where I left off in the episode and retain that state.

mhendu

Trakt always does this. You can delete the progress points in bulk on Trakt using this:

https://sharkykh.github.io/tppm/

It can't be expected behavior if it works one way for movies and another for TV shows, no?

I might be missing something but I believe on Kodi the Trakt plugin submits my play position in the movie or TV show such that if I sync those play positions on another device via Trakt I can pick up where I left off. That should be the expected behavior - not syncing back watched/unwatched states to overwrite my play position on Emby.

Also, if I'm understanding that web application correctly, that's actually intended to remove the play position on Trakt, which is the opposite of the what I'm describing. I'd be happy if the Trakt plugin for Emby correctly synced back the stored playback progress on Trakt, and if I could manage that by using that web application to update my playback progress on Trakt, but that's not what appears to be happening.

Edited by mhendu

• 8 months later...

I'm also having similar issues.

I have several user profiles in emby and they sync to the same trakt account (paid).  There are technical reasons I have multiple user profiles - basically to match playback capabilities of different devices.

For movies, the playstate and position correctly syncs with trakt and across the user profiles.  I can also change watched status in one user profiles and this is then reflected in the other user profiles once a sync to trakt has occured. 

For TV shows, this usually works, including playback position.  However, for some shows that I want to rewatch, I reset the watched status of a single show, or a season but a few minutes or hours later is back to showing that it has been watched.  To be clear this behaviour only occurs for some shows, whilst for other shows I can reset the playback status and it remains in that state until I watch it again.  I've evern attempted to reset the playback status in Trakt and this makes no difference!

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 6:33 AM, kaledi said:

I'm also having similar issues.

I have several user profiles in emby and they sync to the same trakt account (paid).  There are technical reasons I have multiple user profiles - basically to match playback capabilities of different devices.

For movies, the playstate and position correctly syncs with trakt and across the user profiles.  I can also change watched status in one user profiles and this is then reflected in the other user profiles once a sync to trakt has occured. 

For TV shows, this usually works, including playback position.  However, for some shows that I want to rewatch, I reset the watched status of a single show, or a season but a few minutes or hours later is back to showing that it has been watched.  To be clear this behaviour only occurs for some shows, whilst for other shows I can reset the playback status and it remains in that state until I watch it again.  I've evern attempted to reset the playback status in Trakt and this makes no difference!

Any ideas?

Hi, are you still running into this? Can you please go over an example? Thanks.

ginjaninja
On 12/01/2021 at 11:33, kaledi said:

However, for some shows that I want to rewatch, I reset the watched status of a single show, or a season but a few minutes or hours later is back to showing that it has been watched.

i think i may also be experiencing something similar, and created a post

On 1/21/2021 at 2:17 AM, Luke said:

Hi, are you still running into this? Can you please go over an example? Thanks.

@LukeSorry for the slow reply. 

What specifically would you like me to supply?

On 1/31/2021 at 11:37 AM, kaledi said:

@LukeSorry for the slow reply. 

What specifically would you like me to supply?

Please provide discussion of an example along with the corresponding server log from that time:

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Shibboleth

Hi @Luke I am having an identical problem. I have two emby accounts both linked to trakt with independent pins. In both settings panes, I have every box checked. I have the most recent version of both the server and the trakt plugin.

---

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Log into account 1

2. Watch Solar Opposites S02E03 for 5 minutes.

3. Stop playback. Wait 30 seconds for scrobble to upload.

4. Check via https://sharkykh.github.io/tppm/ that trakt has my playback recorded. It does!

5. Log into account 2. Check that it does not have any progress on Solar Opposites S02E03. it doesn't.

5. Trigger the scheduled task to "import playstates from trakt." At this point, after this task completes, both Accounts 1 and 2 should have 5 minutes on S02E03. It should sync the progress so both accounts have 5 minutes.

6. But instead, when I refresh Account 1, it now has no progress on Solar Opposites S02E03.

7. Refresh Account 2, and likewise, it has no progress on the episode. It's as if I never watched it.

8. Check https://sharkykh.github.io/tppm/ and it actually still has my progress as 5 minutes on that episode. It's just that the plugin, apparently, is overwriting it locally.

---

If I repeat Steps 1 - 8 with a movie (The Dark Tower, it was the first one I saw, I know it sucks), then it works perfectly. The progress is perfectly synced between accounts and both now reflect the same duration of watching. Both show progress, they don't look like I'd never watched it.

Server log is attached. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help.

Thanks,
Shibb

--Edited to remove server log---

Edited by Shibboleth

Shibboleth

Oh also I tried it with the "Update Trakt watched history during Scheduled Task" box unchecked, same results.

I also tried entirely uninstalling the trakt plugin, deleting the trakt.xml, and reinstalling (with all required emby restarts). Same results.

I also tried removing the app from connected apps in trakt and re-authorizing. Same results.

Best,

Shibb

Edited by Shibboleth
add that I tried reinstalling plugin and removing from connected apps

• 2 weeks later...
Shibboleth

Hi @Luke, interestingly enough, this is now fixed! I don't know if you updated the plugin, etc. but for whatever reason this overwriting of partial playback scrobbles is no longer happening.

So thank you!

Shibb

• 2 weeks later...
mhendu
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@mhendu are you still having an issue with this?

Not sure to be honest - I disabled the 'import playstates' task a year ago as this behavior was too irritating. Since I watch most of my media in Emby that's not a huge issue, but imagine it could be a problem for others if they watch media in other places that sync to Trakt (or if, for instance, you have to reinstall Emby for some reason and playstates are not retained).

MRobi

I had to disable the import playstates just a few days ago because of this exact issue.

The issues does not appear to be consistant. I could manually run the import playstates task 10x and the continue watching state would stay 9/10. Since the task was set to run hourly, if I watched something in the evening, by morning time it was always gone.

On 4/18/2021 at 5:30 PM, MRobi said:

I had to disable the import playstates just a few days ago because of this exact issue.

The issues does not appear to be consistant. I could manually run the import playstates task 10x and the continue watching state would stay 9/10. Since the task was set to run hourly, if I watched something in the evening, by morning time it was always gone.

Can you try again?

MRobi

@LukeI purposely set 2 shows around half way and left them. 2 days in they're both still there in continue watching. So I'd say it seems OK now.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, MRobi said:

@LukeI purposely set 2 shows around half way and left them. 2 days in they're both still there in continue watching. So I'd say it seems OK now.

Thanks for the feedback.

misterkoat

I'm running into this problem and it has been happening for quite some time now.

I watch a movie or episode and leave it at any position.

1. If I'm online, the progress is sent to trakt for episodes but not for movies.

2. Next time I'm online (My server acceses to internet at least once a day) I find that my continue watching ha been reset and it has been replaced by some hanging playback that I had no idea it was sent to trakt. I loose all progress for movies and episodes that matter and it's replaced by some random episode that I've already watched and for some reason it has been watched 1% again and left hanging. It's really messing me up because at any given time I have at leat 3 movies and 2 episodes that I didn't get to finish. Remembering where I left off is annoying and the whole point behind having a server is to avoid minor irritants like these.

I've disabled "skip unwatched import" and even reinstalled the trakt plugin to no effect.