unwatched counter to count episodes rather than files

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

should the unwatched counter on shows/seasons count episodes rather than files.
currently a multiepisode file counts as 1 unwatched.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

MBSki

Good question. I think you can argue that one either way.

I don't think so Luke. Why would we want to count the files when we're looking at the number of episodes that we watched? What's the point of knowing how many files there are? Definitely need to count by episode.

For multiple episodes in single files how many people actually stop in the middle?  I think in most situations, those are treated as one viewing session.  Probably part 1 and 2 of a longer story line, etc.  None of our other processing (like the next episode feature) is going to work in this manner either.  I think if you want that, you break them in to single files (or don't combine them in the first place).

My prediction is that, if we counted these separately, we'd have a lot of reports out here of people saying the count is wrong...

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Good question. I think you can argue that one either way.

indeed, plex approaches it another way and i can see benefits of both

For S02E02-E03.mp4, and a 20 min per episode length

Plex

• displays separate episodes and separate synopsis in the season view (nice looking, but misleading when you play e03 direct)
  • display just S02 in next up and jumps to s04 upon completion (not as informative as emby which shows next up is grouped in the title)
  • counts 2 episodes in unwatched counter (better)
  • displays both episodes as 40 minutes long (worse)
  • if you play E03 direct from season interface, E02 actually plays (terrible)

i think from a best shared practice point of view,

• next up behaviour stays as is (next up shows as E02E03, before and whilst file is being watched and upon completion jumps to E04) - its fairly obvious the media playing is multi episode
  • the season ui could show the 2 episodes in their own full right, but make it clearer then plex that the play action and timings apply to the group (not obvious/easily designed). embys current method is clearer/better in many functional ways already, just not as visually appealing.
  • the unwatched episode counter... counted episodes.

when looking at a show's seasons with 24 episodes in each season, it is odd (imo, but not critical i grant)  that each season doesnt show 24 unwatched (but a different number depending on the number of multi episode files in each season).

i guess the support for the feature request will be partially dependant on the developers point of view on how easy it would be make the counter based on episodes without changing anything else.

Edited by ginjaninja

MBSki

Agree with @@ginjaninja that Emby's episode list display is better than Plex, but the count of episodes should be the actual count. It is after all an episode list not a file list.

@@ebr to answer your question, we as users don't control how the broadcasters distribute the videos. Kids shows are frequently 2 episodes in a single 30 minute slot. If DVRing or using PlayOn to record, it puts 2 episodes in the file. That's just how they do it and we have no control over that. Frankly, most of how Emby handles this works really well. It's just the count we'd like to see represented more accurately. That's all it's about. Just make the count accurate.

Edited by mbarylski

Happy2Play

At the same time there is no way to play second episode of said multi-episode file, it is one file.  So listing episodes would create just as much confusion when user clicks play episode 2 and can't.

They may broadcast two episode the same night does not mean they have to be joined episodes.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki

@@Happy2Play, when they broadcast 2 in 1 30 minute slot, yes they do have to be joined. That's how the recording is broadcast. There isn't an option to record 2 separate episodes for the 30 minute slot.

And again, we're not asking for the episodes to be listed separately. We like how they're currently listed in Emby.

Edited by mbarylski

Happy2Play

There are two formats here, broadcasting will be two time slot recording, still technically two separate episodes. 

From a DVD/Bluray, you will not have joined episodes.  But possibly a different order or episode count altogether.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki

Right, broadcast and PlayOn will have 2 episodes in 1. Blu Ray and DVD will have each file attached to 1 episode. Either way, shouldn't the episode count be accurate? Its not called the file list, it's called the episode list. So it should count the episodes not the files.

Happy2Play

But from that list your count have to have zero action for that said second half episode.  So to me it would never really work.

Its not called the file list, it's called the episode list.

But at the same time, that list is a direct representation of your files.  But list and count are still two different things also.

So as a feature request it can be argued either way.  The second half will never be a functional item.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The list will still display the same as it does today, where a 2 episode file is shown as 1 item. There is no second item to take action on. There's just the 1 item with 2 episodes.

At the end of the day this isn't at the top of my list, but it would be nice to have an accurate count of episodes.

Just my opinion - we'll go more by the overall - but I think both situations create some degree of confusion but the way we currently handle it is the lesser amount.  I come to that conclusion partially because it is just now - this many years in - that someone first has mentioned this.

We will monitor this request.

Thanks.

MBSki

Just my opinion - we'll go more by the overall - but I think both situations create some degree of confusion but the way we currently handle it is the lesser amount.  I come to that conclusion partially because it is just now - this many years in - that someone first has mentioned this.

We will monitor this request.

Thanks.

I think it might be because you're getting more Plex users jumping ship.  :D

• Like 1