HEVC x265 playback issue

foleys

Sorry I  may have gotten mixed up wtih posts from other users. We're about to roll out a 4.4.3 release. Please try with that once available and let me know if it helps. Thanks.

foleys

Hi Luke, unfortunately the playback issues still exist in the 4.4.3 release. Personally this seems like either a client side exoplayer issue, or an issue with the detection of the client capabilities when it comes to deciding whether or not to transcode.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Heval said:

Why is my comment deleted?

Hi, it wasn't. We moved them to your own topic: 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Depechie
On 5/30/2020 at 6:18 PM, foleys said:

Hi Luke, unfortunately the playback issues still exist in the 4.4.3 release. Personally this seems like either a client side exoplayer issue, or an issue with the detection of the client capabilities when it comes to deciding whether or not to transcode.

I just recently have been trying to play 4k HEVC files and I notice the same thing. Aka Emby server will do direct play to my Apple TV. But the Apple TV is unable to cope, so the playback stutters.

Playing on any other device that needs transcoding, will result in perfect playback.

Reading this thread, not sure about it, but it seems we can't do anything about it for now?

vdatanet
46 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I just recently have been trying to play 4k HEVC files and I notice the same thing. Aka Emby server will do direct play to my Apple TV. But the Apple TV is unable to cope, so the playback stutters.

Playing on any other device that needs transcoding, will result in perfect playback.

Reading this thread, not sure about it, but it seems we can't do anything about it for now?

Is MPV player enabled? For HEVC you will get better results using MPV player.

Depechie
2 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Is MPV player enabled? For HEVC you will get better results using MPV player.

Yes it is enabled... using VLC app will also work perfectly but that is to be expected of course.

vdatanet
2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Yes it is enabled... using VLC app will also work perfectly but that is to be expected of course.

Let's hope that the next MPV player update promised by @Luke improves HEVC playback. 😀

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I face the same problem with Plex, direct playing to Shield 2019 Pro. Today I tried remuxing a MKV file created by MKVToolNix v55, but used the latest available version as of now (v64). It actually seems to have fixed the issues of freezing image ahead in time, both when starting video from the very start, and when resuming or unpausing. Might be a thing others here could try as well. That or remux to mp4 with flag for optimizing video for fast start (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50914503/fastest-way-to-add-movflags-faststart-to-an-mp4-using-ffmpeg-leaving-everythi).

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I can reproduce this (somehow), too:

3840x1608 "MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc)" doesn't play in emby (Android-TV) App, screen stays black. Plays perfectly in Webclient and VLC.

However, no ffmpeg log is written, but this is in embyserver.txt (after "Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.48g playing ...")

Info App: Profile: VideoAudioCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Android-Exo.AudioChannels Condition: LessThanEqual. ConditionValue: 2. IsRequired: False. Path: D:\_FILE_.mkv

No other messages, no traffic, no processes, nothing.

The same clip in h264 works fine.

Depechie
On 5/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, vdatanet said:

Let's hope that the next MPV player update promised by @Luke improves HEVC playback. 😀

Tried this again, so with a mkv that is labeled 4K HVEC HDR10 and weird part is that now when I disable the MPV it plays perfectly! With the MPV I get stuttering...

This is only on the Apple TV by the way, other devices also work fine.

On 1/30/2022 at 5:05 AM, Depechie said:

Tried this again, so with a mkv that is labeled 4K HVEC HDR10 and weird part is that now when I disable the MPV it plays perfectly! With the MPV I get stuttering...

This is only on the Apple TV by the way, other devices also work fine.

We'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Depechie

Small update! I did notice however that even though without MPV the 4K video is working… I no longer have surround sound! But getting just stereo coming through.

even though the it is EAC 6ch audio.

Reverting to MPV gives my surround sound back but with stuttering playback.

17 minutes ago, Depechie said:

Small update! I did notice however that even though without MPV the 4K video is working… I no longer have surround sound! But getting just stereo coming through.

even though the it is EAC 6ch audio.

Reverting to MPV gives my surround sound back but with stuttering playback.

Hi, can we please look at an example?

• 3 weeks later...
Depechie

Sorry @Luke took me a while to get back. I tried to cut a sample from the files I have by using HandBrake, but the end result was not the same as the original ( not sure how to cut up 4K ).

But I found something that should help as base test file. There are 4K sample files available here: Samples - Official Kodi Wiki and I took nr°15 HDR10+ Profile A HEVC 10-bit 23.976 Sample (in MKV with DTS:X audio) from the first category 4K (UltraHD) Formats. The downloaded mkv is called: HDR10Plus_PA_DTSX.mkv, just click the link and grab it.

With that 400mb file I have all the same problems as described. Stutter of playing with MPV player enabled ( but surround sound ) and no stutter without MPV but only stereo sound.