Switching from Plex Questions

theSilence

theSilence

I really don't like the direction Plex is going in and Emby has made great strides in UI customization since I checked last year. What I'm looking for is customization. I don't see the point of More Like This ( since I populated them all), Next Up, Cast and Crew, etc. I realize others like these features and that's great but I would rather turn them off and reduce the amount of clicks I have to get shows that I want to watch. I think it's fantastic that Emby allows you to customize CSS. How far off do you see the customization on Roku like you see on the web interface?

@@cayars

Hi.  CSS mods are not going to work on the app platforms.  However, most of the things you mentioned eliminating are "below the fold" on an item detail screen so I don't understand how they are reducing the number of clicks for you.  Can you explain more about that?

Thanks.

• Like 1

That'a the beauty of this design is that the info is there if you want it but out of the way if you don't want to see it.  Kind of best of both worlds IMHO.

Carlo

pwhodges

I am continually irratated that the Next Up row of images pushes down the Season Folders - off the screen on some devices.  I am simply not interested in having a Next Up row, and wish I could turn it off.  In any case, only a single Next Up image makes sense, as all the rest are not next up.

Paul

Gilgamesh_48

I am continually irratated that the Next Up row of images pushes down the Season Folders - off the screen on some devices.  I am simply not interested in having a Next Up row, and wish I could turn it off.  In any case, only a single Next Up image makes sense, as all the rest are not next up.

Paul

And I really like "Next up" the way it is as it displays the next episode for each series I am watching. All images on the "next up" row are "next up" for the series they represent.

Of course you can use the web app to control the home screen in the apps and even turn off the "next up" row on the home screen. I think there is no way to do that in the library screen however. I almost never enter TV libraries in the apps because "next up" on the home screen gives me everything I need.

pwhodges

Oh, I see why people would like it.  But it happens that I don't...  And I could kill it using CSS, but that wouldn't help on the Roku, Android or iOS clients that I also use.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Gilgamesh_48

Oh, I see why people would like it.  But it happens that I don't...  And I could kill it using CSS, but that wouldn't help on the Roku, Android or iOS clients that I also use.

Paul

If it is the home page that you want to eliminate it from you can do that in the web app and it reflects to almost all clients. No CSS involved at all. I have use the web app to eliminate the useless for me rows like "Latest media, "Active recordings," "Continue Listening" and most other fluff. It just takes setting it up for the web app's home page and you get the same thing on all client home pages.

pwhodges

I already don't have it on the home page.  That's not where it pushes the Season links down, though.

Paul

theSilence

Hi @@ebr, @@cayars

On Roku the pain points on the way to selecting an episode under TV and playing it are

1) Clicking several times to get to Folders (tried default setting but that didn't work)

2) As @@pwhodges mentions having to skip past Next Up.  I personally never use it but not saying it's a bad feature as @@Gilgamesh_48 noted.  Option to hide or move would be nice.

3) Actually clicking play once I have picked a season and episode.  It seems the options on the play screen could move up a level to show when the episode is arrowed over

You are correct, sections like Cast & Crew, etc. don't impact the clicks. 

I really appreciate your time soliciting feedback and I hope my 2 cents on the subject helps.  By the way, I'm very impressed with Emby's speed.  Kicks the snot out of Plex.

regards,

Steve

Edited by Luke

I'm curious why NEXT UP get in the way?  Do you guys not watch your episodes in order?

Are you just randomly playing different episodes from different seasons?

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

I'm curious why NEXT UP get in the way?  Do you guys not watch your episodes in order?

Are you just randomly playing different episodes from different seasons?

I, also, would be interested in hearing the answer to that as well.

I do not understand why anyone would regularly dig into the TV show libraries to get to shows and then to seasons and then to episodes in order to play media. It makes sense when first starting a show but, after it is started, I do not see any logic or need in digging down into the episode level of shows to find something to play unless you are playing the episodes from a show in some random order.

I know that everyone has different ways of watching media and I also know that the way I watch media is not the only way but I have helped setup several Emby servers and not a single one drilled down into the show/season/episode level for each show more than once and that was to get the show started so it would appear in "Next up" in the future.

Of course movies are a different animal but movies do not have a "next up" anyway.

I know my usage is not typical but I am also quite sure that my use of "Next up" is the way the majority of folks use it. That is to watch episodes from a show in order.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

GWTPqZp6b

I watch new shows in order, but lots of older TV I pick and chose episodes to watch depending on what I fancy. I spend more time watching older TV I’ve seen before than watching new shows (70/30 split I’d guess)

Gilgamesh_48

I watch new shows in order, but lots of older TV I pick and chose episodes to watch depending on what I fancy. I spend more time watching older TV I’ve seen before than watching new shows (70/30 split I’d guess)

That seems like a perfectly good reason for that use case and wanting  "Next up" to be moveable or having the ability to be turned off within the libraries makes some sense. However you are the only person I know of that uses Emby in that manner for old TV.

I do not understand wanting to used Emby like that but if you want to do it that way then you should be able to.

I think that the ability to configure the rows within a library like you can on the home screen would be reasonable. That setting would need to be at the library level as you may want to have a "Next Up" row in one library but not in another or be able to move it in one and not the other.

If I remember correctly this was asked for some time ago and we were told that it would make Emby to complex for regular users to use. I am not sure I buy that reasoning but I am not a "regular" user and cannot judge the point where the interface becomes too complex.

I can see, however, that a user could change some things and get confused but that really only says that there is need for a "reset to default" option for each library's settings.

The other thing that has to be considered is value of feature vs programing and debugging time and I do not think this feature passes muster on that test.

ginjaninja

Paul

i would agree with the sentiment, but until the the ui moves on or at least exposes the next episode after playback of the previous, it is i believe an easyish way to find the next episode you want to play visually. not a reason to keep as is, but playing the next episode after the previous is a consideration.

for now we have the somewhat confusing design whereby whilst the text on the button lists the next episode explicity by number when you enter the form eg S01E01, the button actually does play 'next up' ..so when returned to the form after finishing S01E01, the button (still labelled play S01E01) actually plays S01E02. imo This is good from a function point of view but odd from a form point of view.

tested on beta channel.

theSilence

@@cayars and @@Gilgamesh_48

My viewing habits are similar to @@GWTPqZp6b.   As an example I have all 11 seasons of Married with Children and I have seen every episode many times.  Sometimes I hit random play but more often than not I pick a season and scan the episode descriptions for something I want to watch.  Another example, my wife and I are re-watching CSI Las Vegas in order but again we scan the episode descriptions because some of the episodes involve dead children and it's not a subject we prefer to watch.  The episode title in Next Up is helpful but I usually don't know the description based on name.

In more general terms I use Emby to play media that I have carefully setup in a structure that makes sense to me.  Besides the top level library types like music, tv or movie, giving me options to arrange by Genre, Suggested, Upcoming, Favorites makes no sense to me.  But that's just me.