Upgrading forces new installation

Corteq

Corteq

I am currently running version 4.4.0.40 Emby Server on Windows 2012 Server as a service. I want to update this to version 4.4.2.0. I shutdown Emby through the dashboard, ensure the service is off, run the setup.exe for the new version and it begins a new installation requiring me to create a new user. That is not what I have seen in the past. This looks like a new install, not an upgrade. At this point I cancel the install.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to create a new instance of Emby so I'm reluctant to continue without some clarification.

Happy2Play

That sounds like Emby is being installed under a different user or location then the other already installed version.

First question would be what paths are shown on the dashboard of 4.4.0.40?

Corteq

That sounds like Emby is being installed under a different user or location then the other already installed version.

First question would be what paths are shown on the dashboard of 4.4.0.40?

Yeah it does sound like that doesn't it, but path and logged in user are correct:

User: Arthur

Cache: C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache

Logs: C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\logs

Metadata: C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata

Transcoding temporary files: C:\Users\Arthur\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp

I should add the server is a Hyper-V client and I am RDPing in to it.

Corteq

And what paths are the new installation using? did you step through the wizard?

I haven't been too keen to proceed as it is obviously wrong. I don't want to stuff up my current installation. I did note that setup.exe creates an Emby shortcut in the user startup folder which has to be deleted. This is not ideal as Emby is running as a service.

Happy2Play

Why not launch the application let the update happen naturally, shut down the application and launch your service?  The update will happen naturally from the update folder.

But I would assume there will be serveral restarts required do to plugin updates, so I would launch the application until updates are finished.

Yea I would suggest stepping through it so that you can get that information. If it's the same configuration, it won't do any harm. 

Corteq

I ran through the install and it appeared to be a new configuration. After a reboot it came up with my config under the new version. All a bit weird but it's working so... move on. Thanks for your suggestions.