Transcoding HEVC problem

Nostromo86

Nostromo86
Hello,

When I try to read an HEVC via Chrome, it overheats my cpu server and after 5 minutes of reading, the server reboot...

My graphic driver has ben updated

I have this problem only with HEVC file and Chrome. 

Thanks

Edited by Nostromo86
  • Like 1

rbjtech

You'll need to fix the hardware/cooling issue you have - HEVC is not natively supported by Chrome, thus your CPU is transcoding into a h264 format so it can be played and likely pegging the CPU @ 100%.    This is 'normal' and any system should be able to provide sufficient cooling in this scenerio.

Ensure your CPU cooler fans are working, ensure you have good air flow or failing that, you may need to re-seat and re-apply thermal paste to the CPU heatsink as it may be defective.

Nostromo86

Hi, yes are you sure your system can handle transcoding this?

Hi Luke,

No i don't know. That's why I'm asking if you see a problem lol

But i will buy new server this week and i will try

Thanks

Nostromo86

Hi,

Server 1 : I5 4430S 2.70 Ghz 8go ram and intel HD graphic 4600

But today I buy new dedicated server i5 9600K CPU 3.70GHz 64go ram and  intel UHD Graphic 630

Is it necessary to have a high-performance graphics card?

Jdiesel

Hi,

Server 1 : I5 4430S 2.70 Ghz 8go ram and intel HD graphic 4600

But today I buy new dedicated server i5 9600K CPU 3.70GHz 64go ram and  intel UHD Graphic 630

Is it necessary to have a high-performance graphics card?

The iGPU on the 9600k supports hardware acceleration and is quite capable. You will have to make sure it is enabled in your server settings.

Nostromo86

The iGPU on the 9600k supports hardware acceleration and is quite capable. You will have to make sure it is enabled in your server settings.

Hi, thanks for your answer :)

server setting? in the BIOS?

Thx

Jdiesel

Hi, thanks for your answer :)

server setting? in the BIOS?

Thx

Under Transcoding on your server dashboard

Nostromo86

Under Transcoding on your server dashboard

ah okkkk lol sorry 

I'm going to install on the new server tonight. thank you

Nostromo86

hi,

excuse me for disturbing you. this is normal this processor usage and energy consumption on my new server I59600K?

Thanks

5e9ec42b65a58_20200421_11h52_44.png

5e9ec43685d1a_20200421_11h58_36.png

Jdiesel

hi,

excuse me for disturbing you. this is normal this processor usage and energy consumption on my new server I59600K?

Thanks

5e9ec42b65a58_20200421_11h52_44.png

5e9ec43685d1a_20200421_11h58_36.png

This is normal as often what happens is the video is transcoded as fast as possible, in this case at 216 fps which is almost 10x faster than the real-time speed of the video. This means the more CPU will be used but over a much shorter peroid of time. There is an option in the EMBY dashboard to enable throttling which will prevent the video from being transcoded all at once and will use less CPU but over a longer period of time.

As mentioned there should also be an option for Hardware Acceleration in the Transcoding settings. It you set this to Yes you should see less CPU being used overall.

5e9efd0b28e4b_Capture.png

Edited by Jdiesel

Nostromo86

This is normal as often what happens is the video is transcoded as fast as possible, in this case at 216 fps which is almost 10x faster than the real-time speed of the video. This means the more CPU will be used but over a much shorter peroid of time. There is an option in the EMBY dashboard to enable throttling which will prevent the video from being transcoded all at once and will use less CPU but over a longer period of time.

As mentioned there should also be an option for Hardware Acceleration in the Transcoding settings. It you set this to Yes you should see less CPU being used overall.

Hi

Super thank you for the information. I understand better how it works. :) I just activated the regulation. actually it takes less resources. I will ask my users if they have any problems. Thx

• 1 month later...
kaj

I found I was having problems on my local network watching HEVC files in the web app with Chrome. I switched to MS Edge (Chromium version) for the web app, and now I can watch HEVC no problems. Edge actually supports HEVC natively.

• Like 1